Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

tunnel runners

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

tunnel runners

Old 10-07-2004, 08:06 PM
daveyburt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tunnel runners

hi all

i'm fairly new to this and have recently aquired 2 tunnels (3.5 & 7.5)

After a few weeks here i'm noticing there's not many posts regarding tunnels.

They're a blast!

I'd love to see your rigs as I'm in the midddle of a complete rebuild, including paint, of the 7.5 (lapcat II)
...not sure what type of hull the 3.5 is but i'm comfortable crusing a prather 220 with some decent very nice rev's in the right water.
zingin....

Anyone want to share any pic's or setup tips for tunnels?

or

hehe

if anyone knows how to get a 11cc K&B ob w/exhaust throttle started, my buddy john would love ya.

happy rippin.

dave
Old 10-08-2004, 06:04 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: tunnel runners

I'm surprised that the 3.5 is turning a Prather 220 much less it fitting under the cavitation plate unless it has been cut down.
I've had a few of each in my time so I do have some experience with them. I don't know why we don't see more tunnel owners in here either, I loved mine.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:19 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson
I don't know why we don't see more tunnel owners in here either, I loved mine.
Too busy out at the lake having fun?
I loved mine too, sold it to a friend while building a new one. That was 1987. Still building the new one [&o]
Old 10-08-2004, 07:32 AM
daveyburt

yea...i filed a little off the tips to get it to clear.

the 215 was cavitating out of corners for about 30ft before hooking up. the 220 grabs much better tho the water conditions need to be just right (light ripple) to get it to buzz out on the high end consistantly.

maybe the hull i have is lighter than usual and that helps the 220 spin....also i'm trimmed to the edge of disaster and running about 1-2" of hull in the water when all is right.

very exciting to run
gutta watch that wind.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:37 AM
wiz0852

Has anyone run a 32" Globee 3.5 K&B.?? looks like a tunnel but says hydro in the ebay ad... Is it a good boat?? Gary
Old 10-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Ron Olson

Never heard of a Glow-Bee except for the glow plugs and ignitors.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:21 AM
wiz0852

Ron, it`s Ebay Item #5925091794 Can you take a look??
Old 10-08-2004, 11:23 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Never heard of a Glow-Bee except for the glow plugs and ignitors.
Ron: The seller has never seen it run, probably bought it at a yard sale and knows nothing about boats. He probably thought the red GloBee decal on top of the cowling was the name of the boat.

Wiz: It is a tunnel. I'm sure one of the people who have more experience with fiberglass tunnels, I've always built from wood, could id the exact make. Personally, I would not buy that boat. Since the seller obviously knows nothing about it you have no idea what's been done to it. You may find that you end up replacing most everything but the hull, and that may have hidden damage. If you're looking to get started in boating, the last thing you want to do is deal with equipment someone else may have abused. If the highest bid was $50 and there were only a few minutes left, it might be worth considering. It's over $100 and still more than two days left. I'd look elsewhere. Better to find one that may not have lead such a hard life, or buy the components and assemble yourself. This is just my opinion.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Ron Olson

Yup, just a Glow-Bee decal on it. My best guess is that it's a Dumas Hot Shot hull from the late `70's-early `80's. It's hard to be really sure as the black paint doesn't help much. It's probably 24" long, I had one like that way back in `79. It's going to need a tuned pipe on it for sure or get it swapped back to a stock lower unit. Tuned pipe, you're looking at $70.00 on up for a new one, new lower unit halves for about half that price. Get an Irwin tuned pipe, he just so happens to live right near you!
(update) I looked at the shots again, it may be the 7.5 version with an ancient lower unit on it, you can tell by the short skeg. Hard to find parts for that one but I happen to know where a new lower unit, case halves only is sitting at, somewhere in my basement! Some boaters put the 3.5 on 7.5 hulls because of its stability on rougher water.