Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

THE UNOFFICIAL SHOCKWAVE 36 THREAD

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

THE UNOFFICIAL SHOCKWAVE 36 THREAD

Old 12-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Motoman25
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THE UNOFFICIAL SHOCKWAVE 36 THREAD

that thing is screaming.... sounds like she is giving all shes got.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 PM
amax

NA She still has more to give that's just getting broke in good and has 1 .008 shim still in, and I found out the next day the rear(main) bearing had Slag floating around in it that was left over from manufacturing, I kept hearing an Odd vibration ,, BUT I ran it anyway I installed a set of ABEC 5 Ceramics in it and will be heading out to the pond for a better vid tomorrow HOPEFULLY.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Biscuit

Ok thanks, now I understand, hope I can get the old Shockwave moving, I have been recomended an Octura X448 (48mm diameter instead of the plastic prop, I am not racing but would like to get the most I can out of it, hope it handles better than my Shockwave 55 I used to own.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 AM
amax

The Octura M445 would be a better choice, especially if the engine is stock and your running low nitro like 30% or so. the M series props are a Modified version of the X series props and that along with the smaller diameter will allow the engine to reach a higher RPM Range.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Biscuit

Ok thanks, I guess I have got to get my head around this, we all run 25% and think thats high in our cars, what are you saying I should run in the Shockwave?
Thanks
Old 12-28-2010, 11:42 AM
amax

well you can ask 100 people and get 100 different opinions. Racing Trucks\Cars your limited to 30% or less by The Rules so people are taught they can't run any higher even if there Not Racing. In Boats we have No % Limits in racing so people get to push the engine for all it's worth. More Nitro= More Power, with the .21 and smaller engine 65% to 70% nitro is where most people tend to limit it with .21 to .45 engine 40% to 50% and so on ,,,BUT with Higher Nitro\Power you get More wear and tear on the engine. IF your just "Sport Boating" the lower % nitro is fine and your engine will last longer, If your a Speed Junkie like me you run High Nitro weather your Racing or On the pond alone... I Run 60%[:-]
Old 12-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Biscuit

Thanks for being so honest, I know what you are saying, I know the Dynimite engine is no power house but I am sure on some higher Nitro it should run better, all the vids I have seen look so slow with loads of bogging down noise and no speed, maybe the pipe is no good, but years ago when I run a basic 20 or a 40 engines I could get them to scream with a pipe and good tuning
Thanks
Steve
Old 12-28-2010, 12:54 PM
amax

The stock tuned pipe is fine, Most the vids you see are engines with All the Shims still in and Novice tuning.
After the engine is broke in and Prop, Strut, and trim tabs Dialed in you can trim about 1\8" at a time off the header to get it in the higher RPM Range. Matching the Header inlet to the Exhaust Port on the engine will improve flow and performance also.

Motoman25 has posted a good vid a couple pages back and some of what he did to get er going good, Maybe he will chime back in and give you a little more insight.

This is HIS Vid
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcKI7pr3GVM[/youtube]
Old 12-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Motoman25

stock motor shims removed
ported the headpipe a bit with a dremel
tuned the carb correctly
30% nitro
M445 prop
Properly aligned motor and shaft
Other than that I just did some handling mods to get rid of(read: calm down) the death wobble.

Battery for servos moved next to fuel tank
Lead weight added on other side of tank
Trim tabs aligned with hull and set just slightly bent upwards.
I'm not sure it will run much faster than I've got it going without making the exhaust port taller but that will sacrifice the low end power. I could run a higher nitro content too, which I may try when it gets warm again.

The biggest gain I found was when I cleaned up the header pipe casting and removed shims, as I did both at the same time.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Biscuit

Thanks Guys, nice to see that the old Shockwave thread is up again, Is there anything I should do before getting the boat in the water apart from getting a 6 volt battery pack and maybe getting it up on 2,4 plus setting up the drive shaft,(how do yoy do that)I have read alot about wind up on the drive flexie drive and it breaking, there seems to be a lot of silicon sealer around the head water pipes as well, are all the bolts locktited? I know its an old boat but dont think its as bad as some folk make out.
Many thanks
Steve
Old 01-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Biscuit

Hi guys just got myself a new Shockwave, what do I need to check before I get it in the water apart from changing the radio to 2.4 and getting a new 6volt rx pack?
Many thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Biscuit

Well I stripped boat down today, I know it is new but thought I would check it out, as I had no reply from my last thread thought I would go it alone, First off the engine is miles out of line with the flexi drive, the rails are elongated so you can adjust it, (wondered how you do it) the flexi shaft is also very tight, there is no grease on the drive so hope its that. When I took the header of the engine I could not believe it, the amount of alloy weld inside the pipe had to be seen to be believed !! so ground it all away to gas flow it, hope to get a 6volt rx pack and get it all back tomorrow then wait for the spring, as to the tuned pipe, well looking inside it aint nothing like a tuned pipe should be, its just a wide open pipe, ah well never mind.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17946.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1543762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14694.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1543763  
Old 01-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Motoman25

just cleaning up that headpipe will make a world of difference.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Biscuit

Yeah I thought so, just got to sort out flexi shaft and pipe.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: amax

The stock tuned pipe is fine, Most the vids you see are engines with All the Shims still in and Novice tuning.
After the engine is broke in and Prop, Strut, and trim tabs Dialed in you can trim about 1\8'' at a time off the header to get it in the higher RPM Range. Matching the Header inlet to the Exhaust Port on the engine will improve flow and performance also.

Motoman25 has posted a good vid a couple pages back and some of what he did to get er going good, Maybe he will chime back in and give you a little more insight.

This is HIS Vid
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcKI7pr3GVM[/youtube]
WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE SPARKLES ?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Motoman25

That was my nitrous flamethrower mod hahaha.

j/k it was just the sun peeking through the two houses across the canal. The sparkles are the rooster tail spray from the boat lighting up in the sun.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Biscuit

Ok so are all you guys putting the rx battery down the front of the boat? A 6 cell pack is not all that Heavy will it really make a differance ? why cant you leave battery in the water tight box and add a little weight next to the tank?
Thanks
Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Biscuit

Ok, I guess I will stick the cells down the front then, not sure why but there you go, I have been trying to line up the motor and flexi drive today what a nightmare, there is a lot of adjustment you can get up and down but not much from side to side, and every time tou tighten up the nuts on the rubbers they move and throw it out of line, but I know this is very important to get right, think I got it pretty good now. Its all very free, but if you try and lift up the strut it binds up you have very little movement here, so now just need to get a new silicone pipe joiner and use tie wraps to hold it on and get the radio in. There is a pice of foam in the bow of the boat but I might add some more to be on the safe side, just one more thing do I locktite the 4 nuts that that hold the engine rails to the rubbers? they have a rough face that bites into the alloy so should hold, I did locktite them on my Shockwave 55 and had nightmare getting them undone so if I can get away with not doing it let me know.
Thanks guys.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Motoman25

no loctite on those studs. I had to shave down two of the rubber mounts to align the motor(left to right) on my buddy's blackjack.  I would say pro boats quality control is not so good.

Moving the battery up front and adding weight to equal the battery is more than you would think. Moving 6oz forwards or back on these small machines makes large changes in the handling characteristics.  It's best to test a few times before you pick a permanent location.

What is good for my boat may not be the perfect solution for yours.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 AM
Biscuit

Ok thanks for the reply, been reading up on running the engine in dry dock method it would save me hours over the lake, with it cutting out and stuff, the thing is I know to my cost that this can be tricky to get right, I have tried it before by using a water pump but I had too much water flow and it never allowed it to reach working temp and nipped up and damaged the bore. This was on an SC 60 motor that would not idle and would race out of the water so maybe it was the rpm rather than the over cooling, could I just run it in like we do with the buggys by having it so rich it will not rev on full throttle and not water cool it ? just a thought, but it would get up to temp but not overheat as so rich.
Thanks again
Steve
Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Biscuit

I noticed when I put the motor back in that the flywheel was running out of true so I re turned it off the centre in the lathe, runs nice and true now, might save a bit of vibration.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 AM
amax

I use a gallon jug of water with a nipple glued in the bottom, hang it higher than the boat and let Gravity do the work. I pinch the line shut and let the engine warm up then let a trickle through to cool the engine. You Don't want to Rev the engine over 1\4 throttle without a load on it(out of the water) and Only Blip the throttle when you do.

I run the first tank pretty rich and just restrict water flow to get heat, then on the following tanks I Lean and Richen the mixture to get the engine to Heat Up and Cool Down, and trickle just enough water to keep it from overheating.
You Don't want to run that engine as hot as you would an Air Cooled Engine, 180*F\82*C is about as high as you want to go, That's about where it will run Dialed In on the water.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Biscuit

Ah thanks, a picture says a thousand words is it best to take the flexi drive out out or will it help to run that in as well ? I had a nightmare getting the flywheel off, it seemed to have loads of locktite on it, had to warm it up to get it off but could not run it with the amount of runout it had, over .5mm out of centre. Anyway motor is in and lined up pretty good and got rid of those 2 metal clips on the pipe and replaced it with an 1/8 scale silicone buggy one with tie wraps. I have a 6cell pack to go in there, the rx is in a balloon, not sure how to hold the battery down in the box yet, still its well on the way will try to run it in this weekend, and I must remember to glue some sort of flotation to the hatch, thanks again for the help.
Steve.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14050.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1549716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78259.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1549717  
Old 01-18-2011, 10:52 AM
amax

I normally leave the flex shaft in the boat when doing break in In the boat
Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 PM
DragFly

Default RE: THE OFFICIAL SHOCKWAVE 36 THREAD

Live2ride070 you hit all the key items. Everything you mentioned I had the same problems with. Once I made the corrections it ran excellent and has been for a couple years now. Now if I can only get the boat from chining in the water.
I love this boat!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.