Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

THE UNOFFICIAL SHOCKWAVE 36 THREAD

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

THE UNOFFICIAL SHOCKWAVE 36 THREAD

Old 11-17-2004, 04:32 PM
SPMAXXMAN17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE UNOFFICIAL SHOCKWAVE 36 THREAD

IVE CONTINUED TO SEE NITRO HAMMER THREADS SO IVE DECIDED TO COME UP WITH THE OFFICIAL SHOCKWAVE THREAD. FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS,PICS,TIPS,MODS,PROBLEMS YOU AS AN OWNER OF A SHOCKWAVE HAVE HAD. OVER THE WINTER I WILL BE DOING A SHOCKWAVE PROJECT I WILL KEEP ALL OF U POSTED.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:01 PM
live2ride070
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: THE OFFICIAL SHOCKWAVE 36 THREAD

Well For starters there are a lot of things you need to take a look at before you get out on the water, unless your looking to spend time and money. First off is the flex cable, mine snapped right off first run. Make sure you leave 1/4" gap between the drivedog and strut. The exhaust coupler on the boat is crap. Go get a new one that will last. check the radio box for cracks and if there are any seal them with silicon, also spread silicon around the outside of the seal boot inside the radio box to prevent leaks. The antenna holder doesn't have a secure hold on it so i upgraded to a prather antenna holder and put a o ring under the top to make a nice snug seal. put some pipe instullation under the radio box so if you flip it the back end will float right up to the top and wont be submerged testing how good you sealed you radio box. If your pushrods are slipping on the seal boot, then upgrade to the 4/40 size to have a nice seal, these will ensure your not going to have to bug horizon hobby support about replacing your radio system. If you have to upgrade the steering pushrod to a 4/40 size you will have to upgrade the servo and battery. i found a cirus high torque and a cheap XTM 5cell hump pack works really well. Make sure the knot on the pull start handle is nice and snug or you will be fishing for that string for plenty of hours. My gas cap on the tank leaked so i called horizon hobby and they sent me a whole new gas tank so i took the paper looking seal not the rubber one and put it in the original cap and it seals real nice. The pressure tap on the pipe shakes itself loose everyonce and awhile so i put some pernament locktite on it and haven't had any problems with it. another little thing is i glued my stand together with CA so it has a nice hold while starting it. it wouldn't be that bad of an idea to just make a custom stand. thats all i can think of right now. ill keep ya posted
Old 11-18-2004, 11:03 PM
live2ride070

one other thing that most people should know is to make SURE you run after run in the engine after each run. This engine is a very reliable one if you take time to break it in and treat it right. mine starts 1st or 2nd pull hot or cold. Make sure you lube up the flex cable after Each run and spray some WD-40 on it to prevent rust.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Use Marvel Mystery Oil. One guy that I run with is a certified Mercury mechanic and swears by the stuff for any motor. He converted me. WD-40 has a shellac in it that really isn't good for motors.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:38 AM
CEO

Ron, I can get this were?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:19 AM
Ron Olson

Most auto parts stores or big discount stores with an automotive Dept. carry it. Look around, I have a small bottle of it which is hard to find in some places, otherwise you might have to buy a larger tin of it.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:25 AM
CEO

maybe napa auto parts?
Old 11-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Ron Olson

Possibly. I get mine at Auto Zone. Look for a red and black can.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:30 PM
live2ride070

i meant spraying WD-40 on the flex cable, not the engine. that wont do anything right
Old 11-19-2004, 11:30 PM
SPMAXXMAN17

THANKS LIVE2RIDE I DONT KNOW IF U HAVE READ MY OTHER THEAD BUT ILL BE GETTING THE SHOCKWAVE IT TWO WEEKS IM GONNA BE CHANGING THIS WHOLE BOAT READ MY OTHER THREADS YOU WILL READ ALL ABOUT WHAT IM DOING
Old 11-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Ron Olson

For flex cables I've tried all kinds of products. When I ran outboards, K&B advised using a 50/50 mix of STP and 20w50 racing oil. I've used the popular flex cable greases from Prather and Hughey and have tried high-speed bearing grease for boat trailers. Mercury motor dealers have a good grease also that some boaters like. You'll probably get more responses on what others have used and liked also.
No, WD-40 won't hurt the flex cable. One thing that I've been doing lately is soaking my cables in automatic transmission fluid. It's lightweight enough where it will get into all of the wire strands, an area that really needs the help that greases don't get into.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:01 AM
live2ride070

Ya thats what i suspected. One guy in my boat club has some mercury grease he uses must be what ur talking about Ron. he said its good stuff. Gets it from his work and he works at a boat place. Im going to get a bottle after i run out of my prather bottle.

No problem SPMAXX, ya i saw u are getting one soon so when u get it give me a buzz and tell me the scoop! This is a GREAT boat. It handles very well, the engines performance is spectacular and the overall price is great for what you getting.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:25 PM
audi0man

I am new to RC boating. I have purchased a Shockwave 36 and am only on my second tank of fuel. not quite sure what I am doing but am trying to post a picture of the boat. I am running it in my back yard as I live on the water.[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69659.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	194747  
Old 11-20-2004, 03:32 PM
Ron Olson

Looks like it's flying by the blur! BTW, watch out for that pole on the other side![X(]
One of the ponds that I run in has a 4" pipe just off the launch, my son hit it dead on! Luckily it only chipped the gel coat off the nose. Wood is a boat magnet.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:50 PM
audi0man

This picture is from the first tank I am at about 1/4 throttle. We were making sure that water was colloing the engine I am impressed with the boat. I am running in an open channel so I have the opportunity to jump wakes. The boat handles very well, it appears to be balanced when it is in the air and lands nice. I have noticed that it will turn extremely sharp (almost to sharp) at times. I will try to get more pictures as time goes on. The engine is really starting to open up as I run more fuel through it. What recommendations for preventative maintenance do you have? I have seen after-run mentioned. What is this? and how does it work.

I am brand new to the hobby.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Ron Olson

After-run is a light oil that you can put inside the motor to help prevent corrosion and keep the piston from sticking. Disconnect the fuel and pressure line and put some in from either the glow plug hole or in the carb and spin the motor over a few times. Cover the hole with a rag loosely to prevent fuel and after-run from spraying you in the face and all over the boat. Re-install the plug and you're set.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:27 PM
SPMAXXMAN17

HEY RON? I WENT TO THE AUTO PARTS TODAY I SEEN THE MARVEL MYSTERY GAS TREATMENT AND SOME OTHER STUFF BUT I DIDNT SEE THE MARVEL MYSTERY OIL WHAT SECTION OF THE STORE IS IT IN.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:37 PM
Ron Olson

Try looking around near things like lubricants such as WD-40. If they have the smaller containers, it might be there. If all else fails, ask someone if they have it.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:13 PM
SPMAXXMAN17

HEY RON? I GOT TO LOOKING ON ONE OF THE SITES THAT I SEEN U TALK ABOUT ROCKETCITYRACING.COM AND I BROWSED THERE ENGINE CATEGORY AND I FOUND A MOTOR I LIKE. ITS THE NOVAROSSI LONG STROKE 3.5 MARINE ENGINE THIS THING COST $300.00 THE SPECS ON IT IS 2.33HP AND 32,500 RPM'S. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF U HAVE SEEN THIS MOTOR BEFORE IF NOT GO LOOK AT IT AND TELL ME HOW THIS THING WOULD DO IN A SHOCKWAVE THEM NUMBERS SOUND A LITTLE CRAZY BUT THIS THING IS BAD. ITS ON THE SEVENTH PAGE IN THE ENGINE CATEGORY.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Ron Olson

The Nova Rossi is a screamer, I had one for a while. You'd have to do a lot of modifying to get it in your boat though, the downside. It might be easier to go up to a .45 than to go down to a .21 .
The Nova Rossi would be in my top 3 picks for a .21 boat though. The other 2 would be a MAC and the Rossi Niagara/Pirahna that I own now. The Rossi is kind of a slug until it gets about a gallon of fuel through it, every run with that motor was faster than before. John Finch did a review of it in RCBM but I don't think that he really put any serious run time on it. Mine flat gets it, a MAC killer!
Old 11-23-2004, 08:22 PM
SPMAXXMAN17

TELL ME THE BEST PLACE TO GET A O.S .45 OR A GOOD STRONG .45 AROUND $250
Old 11-23-2004, 08:26 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

towerhobbies has the OS .46 marine motor for 240 and they are have a $20 off coupon on the front page. for $220 plus shipping, you can't beat it!
Old 11-24-2004, 02:26 PM
SPMAXXMAN17

CAN I USE THE STOCK PIPE THAT COMES WITH THE SHOCKWAVE? AND WHERE CAN I GET A STARTER FOR THIS ENGINE?
Old 11-24-2004, 02:48 PM
Ron Olson

You'll have to use a hand-held starter for that engine.
The pipe, I don't know. You might have to go with a larger one.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:10 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

You can get them at any hobby shop...here are a couple examples

get a belt like this and it loops around the fly wheel
[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDR78&P=7[/link]

then use a motor like this for starting
[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL396&P=ML[/link]

about the pipe, you would probably need a new one (bigger). the 11cc prather one looks good...it's pretty big though!! a lengthy 16"!!!
check it out
[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDR47&P=7[/link]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.