Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Help me with my new /used 54" Dumas Scarab

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Help me with my new /used 54" Dumas Scarab

Old 12-29-2004, 10:42 PM
bigsbetter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with my new /used 54" Dumas Scarab

Hello, I'm new to r/c boats.I've just purchased a 54" Dumas Scarab with a O.S. .90. I haven't ran it yet 'cause I'm a little worried about a few things. It does not have a failsafe. There's no floatation in it. It looks like it's ready to go but what else should I be sure to do before I go out? I've started it and it runs great.How does this motor compare to the Zona 23cc,26cc gas engines as far as performance? What kind of speeds should I expect? It does not have a clutch... how can I install one? Please help!!! Oh yea... where can I buy a trailer so I can pull it with my Losi LST? THANKYOU...
Old 12-29-2004, 10:49 PM
ejp67
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Help me with my new /used 54" Dumas Scarab

Add some flotation for sure. The failsafe is up to you, is your pond big enough that your going to go out of range? Just make sure you pull your antena out of your radio and you shouldn't have any problems. Trust me I had it happen at full speed. I would also put an autobailer to get the water out
Old 12-29-2004, 11:16 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Speed ? That will depend on setup ( strut angle , prop used , is the prop modified and by whom ? What shape is the engine in ?
Now , comparing to a Zenoah ( I assume this what you meant ) .... lets see , the Zenoah , will outlast and outperform the 90 .
you can mod the Zenoah yourself to get more HP and R's .
The Zenoah uses 2.00 ( aprox cost , pending on where you live ) per gallon fuel , whereas the 90 uses the high dollar nitro AND those 90's LOVE it and suck it up REAL fast . To run a day with the 90 will cost you around $30.00 .... to run a day with a Zenoah , it'll cost you TOPS of $4.00 ....
myself , I LOVE nitros , the cost of the parts are cheaper , ( meaning hardware , mounts , etc , etc, BUT ... they are also more of a pain getting them tuned right sometimes . )
Floatation ... should be like your Visa / master Card .... NEVER leave home without them !
meaning ... PUT SOME IN ! ! !
if that boat flips , turns too sharp and digs in and rolls , or God knows what .. there goes ALL that money right down in Davy Jones Locker .... ( and if you think you'll find it .... best of luck to ya )
Failsafe ? Again ... ALWAYS .... what happens if you get your Rx wet ? or batteries run low ? range is not the only thing that a failsafe protects from .... what happens if you get interference caused from another source ? hummmm ... all sound like a REAL good reason to STOP that 50 MPH torpedo .... not to mention if you HIT somebody or something that belongs to someone else .... LAWSUIT !
so ... that $27.00 sounds good now , huh ? for a failsafe .
use some pool noodles , put them up front , under the bow , and then run some along the outside of the motor mount rails and that will be plenty for floatation .
Old 12-31-2004, 06:10 PM
bigsbetter

Thanks guys I will definetly get some flotation noodles and a fail safe! Can I install a clutch on this OS Max .90? If not anyone want to trade a new, just run for break-in -only, O.S. .90 for a ZENOAH?
Old 12-31-2004, 09:03 PM
TERBObob

Install a clutch on the 90 ? Sorry ... never heard of it , or seen it .
And as far as trade ? You'd be better off selling the 90 and trying to get yourself a Zen . Those that have them , realize , that GAS is a LOT cheaper than nitro AND , in general , gassers are a LOT more dependable than nitros ( and I OWN a LOT of nitros .. )
Also , there is a LOT more you can do with a ZEN ( modding wise ) than you can a nitro .
Again , IMO - try selling the 90 and go from there .
Old 01-09-2005, 04:59 PM
rcollector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put some flotation in it and go ahead and run it. Failsaifs are good insurance but not neccassary. Put fresh batteries in it check that the radio funtions well at a distance. You should have the radio system installed in a radio box so it can't get wet. Clutches have been made for nitro engines like yours for marine use. I don't know if anyone is making them right now but they show up on ebay from time to time. I would not bother installing one though. You will find after you use the boat a little that you won't feel like letting it sit still idling in the water too much.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:04 PM
bigsbetter

well I got the failsafe and built a trailer for it and my LST pulls it nicely. But Walmart doesn't sell swim noodles in the middle of winter (for floation)...........so i'm koooooking for some noooooodles............
Old 01-14-2005, 11:42 PM
TERBObob

Well , if I were you , seeing as to how you live in MO ( but I guess it depends on which part too ... ) , I would wait till spring for the pool noodles . Otherwise , if you CAN run this time of year , I would get yourself some empty 20 ounce soda pop plastic bottles and use them ( and of course , screw the cap back on as tight as they will go without stripping them out ) . use some rubber bands for along the side rails and just stuff them up under the bow . They also do not weigh hardly anything empty and are bouyant also .
Then , when spring comes around , and Wally World has the noodles , replace the pop bottles ( or of course , you could just leave them too ... )
Old 01-28-2005, 08:08 PM
DMACK
My Feedback: (9)

My scarab with an OPS 90 does well over 60MPH. I've raced against numerous gas boats and in most cases they suck my wake. My boat is built very light and made for racing though. Gas boats are a easier to use, and require less support hardware. My dad has a 60" Enforcer and he fires it up throws it in the pond, then looks around for his transmitter!?! The clutches are nice. The 20oz soda bottles work great ans are very light. Try the .90, if you don't like it then think about a gas motor.