Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Shockwave36 or Kyosho Lambo Cat?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Shockwave36 or Kyosho Lambo Cat?

Old 02-05-2005, 01:09 AM
86RedRocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shockwave36 or Kyosho Lambo Cat?

Hello everyone, I'm rather new to the nitro boats and the site. I've been looking at a couple of boats and I have narrowed my list of choices down to the Shockwave 36, Kyosho Lamborghini c-1 catamaran(can't get enough info., mainly top speed), and Traxxas nitro v(not quite fast enough from what I've read). I'm looking to purchase very soon. I'm open to any other boats that are avail. worth checking into that are in the same price range. The boat is primarily going to be used on rivers and lakes. There may be little or a lot of wake, so I'm going to need something that can handle it. Thanks for any info. or help that can be given.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:48 AM
CFRACR

Default RE: Shockwave36 or Kyosho Lambo Cat?

The C-1, NO>NO>NO>NO!!!! Waste of good money!!!!
ABS hull (Nightmare), engine is so so, price is a total rip off, especially since no radio included!
& does not even handle that great.

On the other hand the Shockwave is a pretty decent boat. Fiberglass, & a good engine! Handling is pretty good too! Hardware is better & will handle rougher water than the C-1.
Price is less than the C-1 & includes radio. I don't have one but one of my buddy's does. I have driven it myself & I personally radared his @ 33mph. (his prop had minor damage & engine was not totally leaned) So 35 mph is right on the money with this boat. Others make claims (that are usually off) but the Stock Shockwave is very capable of doing 35mph, maybe more with some mods.

Here are a few other boats to look @ in the similar price range also. (both are top quality) even better than the Shockwave in some ways. The bruzer has a rossi engine (top of the line)!

Mean Machine 18
http://www.aeromarinerc.com

Bruzer 18
http://hyperprod.bizhosting.com/_bruzer_15_mono.html

Also one other piece of advise, if you are going to run on a river that has boat traffic avoid wake. Small boats do not handle large wake very well. You may end up flipping & have another boat run over your model before you can retrieve it back to shore.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:57 AM
86RedRocket

I appreciate the help. I can get the shockwave brand new for $280 plus s/h which should put me right at $300 total. Does anyone know where I can get one cheaper? That's been the best price I've found so far.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You won't find a better price on Shockwaves new. ProBoat's parent comany, Horizon Hobby tells Hobby Shops that they can not sell for less then HH's "Street" price or else they lose their account with them.
If or before you buy a Shockwave 36, read up on the postings in here to know what you're up against.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:11 AM
86RedRocket

The main prob. that seems to occur on these boats are the flex shaft. They appear to break quite often. I've read where some break on the first run and some say they haven't had a problem. I've been hearing that the coupling from the headers to pipe should be replaced right when you buy to prevent any problems. I've heard about these problems, but I don't know what they should be replaced with to insure no problems.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Ron Olson

Yes, flex cable breakage is the big problem on the SW 36. It is an easy fix though. Two people here have bought them and one has complained about his breaking also. I showed him the problem with them. First, make sure that the cable is lubed. Secondly, there should be a gap between the drive dog and strut of around 1/8"-1/4" because of cable wind-up. This occurs when when this rev's go up and thrust from the prop in the water "shrinks" the cable.
The coupler is another easy fix. Most Hobby Shops carry aftermarket couplings, usually from Aerotrend in 1 foot lengths that you can cut to the length that you need.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:07 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

i found that the flex shaft was binding big time on the strut. i took me two flex shafts to figure it out! also, i would upgrade to the prather flex cable, it is WAY better than the stocker that comes with the boat. so, adjust the strut and the boat should be fine, if it breaks, replace w/ a prather flex shaft
Old 02-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Ron Olson

Josh, I hate to tell you this but a Prather flex cable is what should come with the boat. I've converted over to Hughey cables and have had no trouble whatsoever with them. Aeromarine cables aren't bad either.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:49 AM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

nope, it's a proboat "heavy duty" flex cable, a horizon special. the boat only comes with some prather hardware. the proboat cable looks like a wet noodle next to the prather one. also all the little wires that are wound to make the cable itself are of a heavier gauge on the prather cable. Does your LHS carry those other brands of cables? I live in the los angeles area and most of the hobby shops focus on cars. it's a real bummer, the only access i have (for reasonable shipping) is tower.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Ron Olson

All Hobby Shops are pretty typical. I've got 3 here and none of them carry much in the way of parts for boats other than stuff that we can use from planes or cars. Most will be happy to order things for you but I have a resource that is faster and cheaper, Gary Preusse that I buy the majority of my boating needs from. Possibly you can find a person like him or a shop online on the Left Coast that caters to boaters. I've heard of one that recently opened in California but I'll have to find their site again. I think that it is something like L&L Hobbies.
(Update) I found the site: http://www.landlhobbies.com/
Old 02-06-2005, 04:44 PM
86RedRocket

I appreciate all the help and info. guys.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:39 AM
86RedRocket

Well, I went ahead and bought the Shockwave today! Thanks for all the info. and help.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:50 AM
Ron Olson

Great. Check out the other postings on the SW 36, there are a lot of great tips in there that will help you out.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:49 PM
86RedRocket

Thanks Ron. I hope the boat deal goes better than the truck deal. I just got my brand new t-maxx in today and the damn thing didn't want to run and would act like it was locking up when it would turn over at times. I got it to start earlier tonight!! The starter on that thing requires a fully charged battery not one that's half charged that appears to be fully charged. The box the truck came in had packing bags(the clear air filled ones), so I'll be able to use them in my shockwave. I hope I don't ever have to find out if they work though.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:31 PM
t3racer

86redrocket where did you find it for $280?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:10 PM
86RedRocket

It appeared to be a typo. after I got to looking around. Everyone sells it for $350-360 from the places I looked at. You might as well buy it from Horizon Hobby. I wish Tower Hobbies carried it, but they didn't. Oh well.[&o] I'm currently having issues on mine w/the finish, so I sent mine back. I hope that another one is sent back by the end of next week.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:37 PM
jocolo
My Feedback: (7)

When I had the SW36 my flex broke once I replaced it with a Prather one used it almost everyday and never once broke again
Old 03-30-2005, 05:11 PM
SW36adam

Dont ever buy a abc plastic hull boat with a nitro power engine in it, eventually the hull will crack from the nitro engine vibration(It cracked with in about 5 hours of use). thats what happend to me with my nitro wicked angle(I HATE THAT BOAT!!!). Took it back, dont buy that boat the hull the engine and the radio system sucks.