Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

nitro conversion

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

nitro conversion

Old 03-02-2005, 03:32 AM
poosack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro conversion

hey guys im converting my kyosho blade runner into nitro. What sort of engine should i need to get speeds of 40+ MPH?? can i gear up the drive sharft to provide more RPM to the prop??
Old 03-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: nitro conversion

It's likely that that hull will not be stable at 40 mph. The engine to get it there will cost you 250 to 300 dollars. Put your efforts into a hull that is designed for racing at those speeds. There are several good fiberglass hulls out there that should fit your dreams and a wood hull you'll have to build that will certainly top 40 (Wild Thing, plans from R/C Model Boater).
Old 03-05-2005, 08:08 PM
poosack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What sized engine do think is the biggest that i can put into the blade runner??
Old 03-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't pay much attention to that style boat so I'm not up on the length and weight but that is what typically dictates the engine size. If the boat is about 30 to 35" long I'd suggest a mild .21 engine like an OS Max RG-M. Mild engines typically have a front intake as opposed to a rear intake where the carb mounts to the engine back plate. Exceptions would the Nova Rossi and CMB. The front intake has the fuel/air mixture enter the engine through the crankshaft which somewhat limits the volume that can get into the engine. The rear intake engine (through the backplate) has a larger "hole" for the fuel/air to enter the engine therefore allowing more fuel.