Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

2 blade prop VS 3blade prop... what's the diff?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

2 blade prop VS 3blade prop... what's the diff?

Old 03-07-2005, 04:49 AM
desertbuzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 blade prop VS 3blade prop... what's the diff?

I always see among the recomended props a 2 blade and a 3 blade from the same size.

Which is better? What's the performance difference between both?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 03-09-2005, 03:30 AM
desertbuzz

Default RE: 2 blade prop VS 3blade prop... what's the diff?

Hey all you pros...where are you?
Old 03-09-2005, 06:01 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I'm far from a pro, but I'll share what I learned. A long, long time ago, I compared the performance of 2 and 3 blade props on a k&B 3.5cc outboard. The 3 blade prop was slower and had an increased tendency to cavitate in the turns. It was also much more of a pain in the butt to balance. So, after much work polishing and balancing, and then playing with the engine setup, the 3 blade prop went in the prop case where it remains today.

If you check out some of the airplane forums, you will find that 3 blade props are widely accepted as being less efficient. As with airplanes, the only time I would use more than 2 blades on a boat is if clearance was an issue.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:59 PM
DMACK
My Feedback: (9)

There is a difference in speed, as a two blade will push you boat a little faster than a three blade - a little faster. The reason they are usually used is that they tend to be much more smooth through the corners. My C cat for example has so much speed it can barely handle it. with a threee blade there is practically no difference in straight line speed, but I can use more power in the turms than I can with the two blade. I even have a couple four blade props. More blades means there is always a blade in contact with the water, so the power is transferred more smoothly.

If you are having trouble getting through the corners, especially in rough water, a three blade prop may be for you!