Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

high speed cat

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

high speed cat

Old 03-08-2005, 01:48 PM
viperdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high speed cat

I am currently building an R/C cat, to compete with my dads 1/12 scale mrs. Bud, however, my scaling, makes the boat about 2 feet wide, and 3.5 feet long, so im talking a rather large cat here. I plan to use a .91 engine in it, conected to a 2- speed transmission, which hopefully can give me good aceleration as wel as top sppeds of over 60 ish. I am using auto cad 2002 to design the boat, and have it down to almost perfection. I have one problem. Being up on plane, only about 2 inches of the boat wil actually toutch the water, so how can i make my turns, stable, and predictable? I know i can pu in a skag on one side, but i would like to bea able to whip a great turn either direction. Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Dr. Hydro

Default RE: high speed cat

Hey Viperdude,
I would not put a skeg on your boat. Too much drag..........drag kills speed. Use your strut angle to trim the boat so that you get that 2 inches of ride.Sounds about right. You should lower the prop until the boat becomes unstable then raise it up to settle the boat down. Next is bow height. While changing strut angle you should get the boat to really fly and then back up the adjustments until the boat settles down(giving the strut a positive angle will lift the bow and vice versa). I would go with a center of gravity of 32%.Pay careful attention to the angle of your rudder. If it is kicked back too far from vertical it will push the bow down and vice versa. All of these adjustments I am reccomending should be done 1% at a time. If propwalk is forcing the backend of your boat to the left try setting the thrust angle of your prop to direct the blast to the left about 2%. Now all you have to do is try to get a good mix of all the different variables in order to get the boat to haul _ _ _! Do yourself a favor and keep a log of what you are doing with the hull. It is easy to forget what was set to what degree when the boat finally did start hauling. Good luck and don't tell anyone I gave you this information. I'm supposed to be working on hydros.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:22 PM
viperdude

thanks for the tip, but i have the speed capabilities, but have yet to get the turning that i am aiming for. I also owna a traxxas villan 4, and like its capabilities, im not looking for a dime turner, just something that can take 10- 15 ft diameter turns, without skipping across the water like a rock, i need the boat to be able to do this, maintain stability, and do it at 40 mph, even if my top speed is over 60, ill only turn at about 40 or so. I fly r/c and real planes, which gives me great reflexes, and i probably could just go without, but im looking for a system that is simple to control as well as but kickin fast.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:36 PM
viperdude

well iv finally got the info i need, and have just purchased my engine, upscaled the boat, and now am building a 4'4' long, approx 2' wide, cat, with a 31cc homelite, pusing an x482 prop(probably octura). So i guess im in the wrong forum! see ya at the races!