Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

gave up Miss Llumar, so how about ShockWave

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

gave up Miss Llumar, so how about ShockWave

Old 03-09-2005, 02:25 PM
truckstalk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gave up Miss Llumar, so how about ShockWave

after many days of readings, i gave up the idea of getting myself a Miss Llumar...it looks great thou.and that is the major reason i want to go with it..but the potential problmes will overwhilem me.

now i am considering a Proboat ShockWave..will it be a nice fit for Newbie?.

i am thinking about to get a Nitro Vee, but it looks outdated....

any other suggestions, comments?

thank you and have a great day.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:56 PM
viperdude

Default RE: gave up Miss Llumar, so how about ShockWave

The Proboat mrs llumar is very fast, and hard to control on anything other then perfectly flat water. I suggest that you get the traxxas villian, or their nitro vee, just becase they are slower, and easier for a newcomer to the sport. Once you have some good time with these, then you might consider the proboat line of boats. My dad and i waited almost 2 years after i got my villan 4, to get his mrs. bud. Unless you have expirence in r/c cars, planes, or heilis, i would not jump straight into a high performance boat.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:01 AM
CFRACR

The Miss Lumar is not really a good starter boat, not because of the driving so much but the boat itself.

The Shockwave is a far better boat than the Nitro vee or Villan. Both are dogs in the water compared to the Shockwave.

A friend of mine wanted to get into the hobby & purchased a Shockwave. Being a newbie he has had no real problems with starting with this boat. It does run 35mph out of the box though, so some skill is needed.

If you feel that you might not be confortable with it, then the Nitro Hammer is a great starter boat. Learn the ropes on that boat & then step up to the Shockwave. Also the Hammer is faster than the Nitro vee!!!! & way way cheaper.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Fuller07

the shockwave is my first boat too, it hasent given me much trouble and you can go at your own pace, i definitly think you should get the shcokwave'
Old 03-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If I were in the market for a new boat and were relatively new, I'd give the Aeromarine Mean Machine 18 a serious look. It's a little more expensive but worth it in quality. http://aeromarinerc.com/
Old 03-11-2005, 01:08 PM
jocolo
My Feedback: (7)

Ditto otherwise the Shock is a good choice for a newbie
Old 03-11-2005, 07:26 PM
RG501

hey ron, do you have any info on like how fast the mean machine runs out of the box? im guessing the hull is fiberglass, and could you get it without the reciever and crap? cause i could just take everything out of my hammer and put it in there. i already have a radio, so all i need is the boat.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:07 AM
Ron Olson

It's supposed to be doing 33 MPH out of the box. I'll see Remy in a couple of weeks in Toledo so I'll have so see what's going on with production and whatever else I can get out of him. He is selling the hull only for the electric racers that you could build it any way that you want to. Chris Fine has them and it looks like he has more colors than what Remy was going to have with the Nitro hulls.
http://www.finedesignrc.com/hullsaeromarine.asp
Old 03-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Pagemaster

The Shockwave has to be the best value for a rtr on the market. All metal hardware and fiberglass hull. Its more versatile than the Miss Llumar. Being that you can run in the waves and flat water. There isn't another boat that comes close for the money. Until like Ron said and the Mean Machine comes out. But we have been waiting for those about 8 months. Hopefully they will be out soon.

Steven
www.OffshoreElectrics.com
Old 03-18-2005, 08:19 AM
CFRACR

Yes, all above is so true.
The MM-18 is taking way to long to hit the market. They kept pushing it back & still its not available in RTR as advertised. You can get the hull though & put it together yourself. But that will cost just about as much as getting it RTR from them & you have to do all the work!

RG501, if you decide to go & build the MM up yourself & use your Hammer radio, that should be fine. But I would use better servos though. The Futaba 3003's should do fine, much faster response.

The Shockwave is a "SHOCK" from Proboat! Its is a pretty decent setup & the price is not bad for a Newbie. Its a little more $ than some of the other mainstream RTR's out there & less $ than some too, but worth it IMPO. Being that its a pull start saves having to buy a starter & battery set up. Its fiberglass & has pretty decent hardware, which makes things nice in the long run. Its pretty quick for a first boat, running 30-35 out of the box. Its big enough to handle rougher water than the smaller RTR's. Its upgradeable & can be tweaked out as most RTR's need to be anyway. All in all its a real good starter boat for someone just getting into the hobby, & has potential for upgrades to learn the in's & out's of this hobby on.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:54 AM
Ron Olson

I'll be down at the Toledo show in 2 weeks and check with Remy about what's going on with the Mean Machine 18. Maybe I can talk him into joining up on this site so that he can answer this and other questions about his products.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Pagemaster

Whats that old saying? "Good things come to those who wait!" I'm sure it will be a good one once its out.

Steven
www.OffshoreElectrics.com
Old 03-22-2005, 03:28 PM
SW36adam

I Love my Shockwave 36. Does any one know any upgrades to get some more speed out of the shockwave 36(anything)? Does anybody else have any solutions to the shockwave's chine walking at high speed. I have already heard about the smaller props that could fix it.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:13 PM
jocolo
My Feedback: (7)

Ron can you send me some info on the show
Old 03-23-2005, 12:10 AM
Ron Olson

Here's the web site, check in after the show for pix of the winning entries afterwards. http://www.toledoshow.com/
I'll post some shots too when I get back.