Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

How do you prep a boat that took on water??

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

How do you prep a boat that took on water??

Old 03-12-2005, 07:00 PM
86RedRocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you prep a boat that took on water??

I was running my shockwave 36 today for the first extended time. The wind was rather strong creating some good sized waves. I took off into the the wind and upon hitting some waves, a strong gust came up as it hit one wave sending it over backwards. the boat was partially sunk, I waded out to retreive it. I got all the water out and drained the fuel. I took the glow plug out and sprayed WD-40 in the both the cylinder and carb. numerous times and steadily turning it over. I was wondering if there's something else I should do, or did I do the right thing? Also, should I discard the fuel since the carb was submerged also? Thank you.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:58 PM
ejp67
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: How do you prep a boat that took on water??

Yes, get rid of the fuel. Most likely it got in through the carb or the pressure line or something to that sort. All you can do is try to get all the water out. It would be smart to start it up if it is pretty much all out to get it out of the bearings. Do you have after run oil. Put some of that in there because it prevents rust and currosion.
Man I am glad I didn't run today.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:58 PM
86RedRocket

Thanks, I needed someone to make me feel better about the procedure I took on salvaging my boat. I figured I needed to discard the fuel to be on the safe side also even though there wasn't much fuel left in the tank.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:16 PM
wierd_dragon
My Feedback: (1)

hi
Old 03-13-2005, 10:26 AM
DaveG55

What you did sounds like a good start but I have found that there can be a good bit of water left in the engine unless I do the following.
Once I retrieve the boat and drain the hull I pull the glo plug, clamp the fuel preasureizing line from the exhaust, hold the boat so that the exhaust side of the engine is facing downwards, blow into the glow plug hole and rotate the engine until you can blow air thru the engine and out the exhaust. Once you have blown out as much water as possable turn the boat back upright, turn the engine over rapidly a few times, install a new (or at least dry) glow plug, clean fuel and start the engine. I always like to run a dunked engine for a few minutes to build up some heat and burn off any excess internal moisture. After I'm done with that I always use a liberal amount of after run oil. Also, be sure to check the electronics, servos, etc. You don't want them to sit waterlogged either.
If you didn't blow out, or restart, the engine you really shoud go and check it to be sure.
For the record this same procedure works real well on a sunk jet ski....It's just a LOT harder to hold the ski to blow thge water from the crankcase.
The key in either case is to get ALL the moisture out of the crankcase as those bearings will rust real easy. Once the bearings get some rust it's only a matter of time before your doing major engine repairs.
Dave