Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Whats up everyone (pictures added!)

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Whats up everyone (pictures added!)

Old 03-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Strecker25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats up everyone (pictures added!)

Just registered here...decided to get back into the hobby i think. I started when i was like 8 (almost 18 now) and bought a traxxas nitro vee, to be very dissapointed. Both inexperience (my dad helped me obviously, but i did spend all my own cash!) and bad design led to its failure very quickly. My dad later bought a prather fun cruiser, which hes since modified and is actually in the process of painting and i assembled a dumas scarab for my uncle with a zenoah engine, and in return he gave me a Dumas Miller American hydro.

The hydro has sat in its built stage ready for filling and finish work for some years now and i think im ready to get going again. My questions are 1) i need running hardware, i know dumas makes an 83$ solid drive kit, but what else do you suggest? 2) i have an old OPS .60 engine that i heat dipped and cleaned thoroghly but have not started, as it is missing its exhaust header. Where can i get one of those?

Thanks guys and maybe tomarrow i can get pictures of all our stuff up
Old 03-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Whats up everyone

I would recommend several things for your boat:
1) Stay away from Dumas hardware. There are many manufacturers that make better stuff that won't breaking the bank.
2) If the deck isn't on yet, cut lightening holes out of all the framing that will be enclosed. It will lighten the boat considerably
3) If the tails aren't mounted yet, trash them and replace the tails and wing with glass parts for less weight
4) Relocate the radio box to under the cockpit and the fuel tank to under the right side deck along side the engine
These changes will make the boat faster and more stable by getting weight off the prop, making a lifting prop less of a neccessity, and at the same tiime, keep the CG in one location as the fuel tank won't affect the CG as the fuel burns off
Old 03-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Strecker25

the deck is on, and the wing is too [sm=frown.gif] radio box is also sealed in. Im well aware of the poor quality of dumas hardware, any other specific suggestions? ill get pictures tomarrow so you know where im at. Also not that it matters but im glassing in the circus circus cockpit and cowl just because i like its aggressive look.

btw i know dumas' kit is solid shaft, would you recommend flex over the solid?
Old 03-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Hydro Junkie

Aeromarine would be a good place to start. You might also check with Rocket City Racing for ideas. With the radio box behind the engine, you almost have to go with a flex shaft. Otherwise, the stuffing box will go right through the radio box, if I remember the Dumas layout correctly. Be sure to get a HIGH TORQUE SERVO for steering, as a standard will self destruct from lack of muscle. Here's an old picture of a boat I'm building from plans. Notice how much different it is to your Dumas
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89503.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	244571  
Old 03-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Strecker25

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

Aeromarine would be a good place to start. You might also check with Rocket City Racing for ideas. With the radio box behind the engine, you almost have to go with a flex shaft. Otherwise, the stuffing box will go right through the radio box, if I remember the Dumas layout correctly. Be sure to get a HIGH TORQUE SERVO for steering, as a standard will self destruct from lack of muscle. Here's an old picture of a boat I'm building from plans. Notice how much different it is to your Dumas
How about this kit? http://www.rocketcityracing.com/pilo...cific=jokolqc8 it appears like it comes with everything id need to get it all set up, just wondering if a hydro like mine is better suited with the prop coming out the bottom of the hull for better lift?

Heres some shots of my stuff so far

Thats a shot of the drive link of the engine, im wondering if its possible to get a "t style" end for a flex cable? i havent seen any
Old 03-17-2005, 11:01 PM
Hydro Junkie

Default RE: Whats up everyone (pictures added!)

I've never seen a Strutter on a hydro, as they are usually used on a deep vee. I won't say it won''t work, just never seen it done. A hydro usually has a rudder offset to the left side with a strut mounted through the bottom just ahead of the transom.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm getting close to having my Sport 40 done so there isn't much of a difference in hardware with the exception that you'll want to run a 1/4" drive. I've been using Speedmaster hardware on all of my boats that are .21 sized and larger. Look at www.rossisales.com to see what he has.
I'd ditch that connector and go to a flex cable collet, you can thank me later!
If you ever plan on racing your boat, it is illegal to have any part of the strut sticking out behind the transom. There has been a big battle over this in both NAMBA and the IMPBA recently.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:24 AM
Hydro Junkie

That must be why I've never seen one used on a hydro.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Strecker25

no racing here, im well aware it wont be very fast as it is just wanna get it done and get it running. My only concern with the strudder assembly is the height of the transom is very shallow and im not sure if it would bolt up, But other than that think its worth a try? and with ditching the connector, im not sure if i can as it is the piece that holds the flywheel to the crank, there is a long set screw that screws into the crank and pulls it all together, and without it the flywheel will fall off.

One more thing is i still need a header for that engine, and i cant find one anywhere...or any .60 engines for that matter

i just looked at this though, and may be better off (id like to buy it all in one package to ensure its all compatible

http://www.rocketcityracing.com/pilo...cific=jokppqp8