Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

1/12th Miss Bud...Taking on Water..doh!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

1/12th Miss Bud...Taking on Water..doh!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:43 AM
dbm0011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/12th Miss Bud...Taking on Water..doh!

Hello all. I am running a 1/12 miss bud .15dynamite - yes stock. I realize that this boat is not necessarily the best built, setup, running, easy to deal with boat. All though it sure is FUN!
Problems:
#1 Taking on considerable amount of water. I have tried taping up the air holes in the cowling, duct tape flaps to cover the front of cowling where it seats to hull, and I am still taking on tons of water. Could it be being pulled up through the shaft tube?

#2 - Boat just doesnt get up to speed - even without the water problem. I am going to set the high speed needle back to factory setting and re-adjust from there. Should be a high pitch whine?

#3 - the idle adjust diddy - small black screw w/spring - I just dont see how this affects the idle when the radio throttle adjust knob is set to wide open (turned all the way to the left) seems as if i need to set the idle higher...it idles at well....idle very slow just putt putt putt putt putt

Since everyone on this forum has been boating longer than me, Please help. Any insight, suggestions, *****es, whines, crys, bravo, whatever is welcome.
I will upload some pics of my small lake here in town (by the way, i have never seen another boat on this lake ever...I am it so far.) and also my Miss Bud - Dead in the water.
Enjoy all, and happy boating.
Don McGurn
Old 03-16-2005, 07:05 AM
dbm0011

Default RE: 1/12th Miss Bud...Taking on Water..doh!

Here are the pictures of Lake Tams in Staunton, Va and also my Miss Bud - DIW (Dead in Water)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42977.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	244641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38603.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	244642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12346.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	244643  
Old 03-16-2005, 05:24 PM
viperdude

i and my dad also haver the same problems..
1. the boat shouldnt be taking on water fast, but because the boat doesnt have a sealed interior, water will always get in. dont tape the air holes int the cowling, they are your primary means of cooling the boat.. however, you can make a small wall out of tape just under the pipe, to keep water from rusing in the back. Also when starting the boat, dont just set it in the water, and full throttle, its better to give it a decent push wen you put it in the water.

2. the boat should be making a whine that sounds very high pitched, its not to loud, but definately a high pitched noise. Try taking the engine out, rebuilding it, and lubing it all, readjust the engine, then you should be fine. also if the water has any chop what so ever, the prop is constantly in and out of the water, so the boat cant reach top speed.

3. the adjusing knobs on the radio, are not made to adjust the boat from top speed, to no speed, they cange the boat just a bit, because you should have it perfect when you put it in the water, but sometimes you may need to adjust while running.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:17 AM
raptorman60

Although I'm new to the 1/12 hydro there are some very good upgrades that you should do to yours right away. The first thing is everyboody talks about taking on to much water. The cure add a good auto bailer heck you can add 2 if you really want this will act as a vaccum outlet for the water that gets in. Here I just found the url that will help you set up your boat spend the $60 do every upgrade and you shouldn't have anymore problems with water. http://www.*********.org/missbud_mods2.htm
GOOD LUCK !!!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:46 AM
dbm0011

Hello Viperdude,hydro-budman, and everyone else. Hydo-budman,,thanks for the link. By the way, i have a new hull on the way due to a misfortunate accident into the rocks at the lake.Really cool to watch though. Boat #1 - in shop, Boat#2 - Water problems.
Viperdude - as for the wall of tape - I am doing this. I taped off the autobailer just to be sure that is not where the water is coming from. Still an incredible amount of water being taken on. I find it hard to believe that much water is coming in aroung the sides of the cowling. Today I am going to build out the bottom edge of the cowling with some silicone. I hope this will make a nice seal against the hull.
On to the engine. when you says "rebuild the engine" - do you mean to replace all internal parts?, or just remove and lubricate them?
I am on a still glassy small 3 acre lake - all to myself - see the earlier pictures. they were taken the day I was having so much trouble.

Thanks for all of the info. it is really helpful. Hydro-budman. Thanks again for the link.
Talk to you all soon.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:05 PM
raptorman60

Let me know how it runs after your mods are done.
Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2005, 09:25 PM
eracer_21

The autobailer should be placed on the left side like in the mods link shown. If the boat is not up on plane (ie. running fast on top of water) it will take on tons of water. I strongly suggest spending the money to get the Y535 prop. Made mine get up on plane on its own instead of having to give it a shove. MAKE sure you remove the prop shaft and lube it EVERY time you run it. Water is not good on the shaft and housing. Use plenty of grease. I do not have anything to help seal the hull. It is fine when it is running and autobailer is installed.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:50 AM
dbm0011

Help help help. For the life of me I cannot figure out where I am taking on so much water. I even taped up the air holes in the cowling for a couple of laps and still..... I bet 8oz of water taken on after 4-6laps. I have siliconed the inside of the cowling to make a nice fit. no cracks in the hull, no screws missing, etc... Could the drive shaft be pulling water up through the drive shaft tube? I lithium greased the S#*T out of both the shaft and shot grease through tube with a small plastic syringe. New water line input and output, new fuel line, siliconed around the antenna, filled pushrod seals with grease. I am going to try weather stripping on the cowling to rule out that. Any ideas suggestions?
Old 03-28-2005, 05:51 AM
dbm0011

Oh, I forgot, could the auto bailer be in the wrong place?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:21 AM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Hello,

Instead of installing an auto bailer or I as I call them, "auto-sinker" try this. Take an old shop towel and stuff it around the tuned pipe exit (the turbine exhaust) and run the boat. I have found this to be a cure for the water boo-hoos. When the shop towel gets water soaked take it out and put in another one. You will be amazed at how much water this will stop. I never though drilling a hole in a transom of a boat that doesn't have any freeboard to begin with was such a hot idea.

Hope this helps,
Pete
Old 03-28-2005, 08:20 PM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

mmmmm makes sence. how does it keep water from getting in the boat(i havent run mine yet) please explain. and do they have any races by you? i dont know how far you are away from me but it cant be too far?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:15 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Great info on this boat!! Im still breaking in my motor (I use a hose connection so I can run it at home) Anyway I found the cooling head was leaking, it was loose letting water come into the compartment.
So far I have sealed every possible area with bath and tub clear caulking hpe it works ...