Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

turn fin question

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

turn fin question

Old 03-17-2005, 09:16 PM
NITRO 888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn fin question

Hello all , I just got a Miss Bud 1/12 and I see in the instructions it says the boat is set up only to make highspeed right turns[:-][sm=confused.gif]
why is that and how do I get it to turn left as well? Do I put the turn fin on the left sponsin ? or do I need one on each side ?
Also , why is the rudder right of center insted of left of center or even centered in the middle?
Thanks to all that answer
Old 03-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Hairtrigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: turn fin question

because it is a hydro and the turn fin is on right side to hold the boat in turns from rolling over. If you look from back to front at the turn fin you will see that it is at a angle this is to keep boat from lifting up right side in turns. If you want to make left turns move everything to left side. You also have a weight in right side. If you put turn fin on both side's well good luck
Old 03-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: turn fin question

The primary reason for the right turn only is the prop rotation. While running on plane, only the bottom half of the prop is in the water. This produces propwalk(the pushing of the boat's rear sideways like a paddle wheel), making the boat's natural tendancy to turn right. Hydros are set up to use this to turn tighter to the right, while sacrificing the left turn. Putting a skidfin on the left sponson will actually endanger your boat by giving the water something to grab on the left side. This can cause the boat to roll over while turning, so it's not advisable. As for the rudder, it's offset to make it more effective, though I would have mounted it on the left side so the servo can pull the rudder are rather than push it[sm=confused.gif]