Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

What tunnel hull is the best for a 3.5 cc outboard

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

What tunnel hull is the best for a 3.5 cc outboard

Old 03-21-2005, 09:06 PM
franklarabie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tunnel hull is the best for a 3.5 cc outboard

Hello I would like to know whats is the best tunnel hull for a K&B 3.5cc SS outboard thanks for the help
Old 03-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: What tunnel hull is the best for a 3.5 cc outboard

How much money have you got?[sm=lol.gif] One of the hottest right now is the Lynx, but it's pricy. Here's their seb site: http://www.vansracing.com/index1.htm
For a wood kit, it's hard to beat the Nemesis or Villian from www.grimracer.com . The Villian is actually the better choice for a K&B.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:14 AM
franklarabie

the money isn't really a factor. The lynx looks quite sharp I never say it before. Will a k&b still fit on it? Would you happend to know how it handles in small wake?
Old 03-22-2005, 12:40 AM
Ron Olson

My kind of person, one where money isn't a problem! The Lynx ran well at last years IMPBA Internats and the water wasn't in the best condition. A friend of mine went there and taped a lot of the racing, about 1-1/2 hours worth and sent me a DVD copy. It is the one to beat right now and putting a K&B 3.5 on it should be no problem. If you want to hang on hotter motor in it down the road, it'll handle it.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:09 AM
CFRACR

The Lynx is a nice hull, but being the one to beat, not sure of that yet. I did not see them rule any of the races in any heat, in any class. The HTB runners took first just about every time. The Maus as well!! But that does not mean that one is better than the other. Things happen in racing!!

If you want to race, then those would be good choices. Also if you want just a real good handling boat for sport.

Check em out' http://www.htbboats.com/
Old 03-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Ron Olson

The HTB's are really nice boats, The Maus that I saw run I didn't care for myself. That one was the IMPBA D-1 champ but to me it was too narrow as when I saw it run it was rough water and it did a lot of rolling. I don't know if the Maus hull is being built any more either. The Lynx is fast but to me, in my opinion is too close to the water if it has to run in the rough. A local racer designed one kind of similar in ways to the Lynx. When he tried to run it in rough water, the cowling would dig in and submarine the boat. There are pros, cons and compromises in every design.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:05 PM
franklarabie

I really like they style of the lynx but is it more stable than the htb? and how eazy are they to build
Old 03-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Ron Olson

I haven't built either and have only seen the HTB's run. Tunnel boats generally aren't that difficult to put together compared to other boats. Most of the time you can have most of it done in a day minus paint if you have everything needed (I never seem to have).
Old 03-23-2005, 09:49 AM
franklarabie

Perfect thanks for the help guys
Old 03-26-2005, 03:52 PM
ob nut

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

A friend of mine went there and taped a lot of the racing, about 1-1/2 hours worth and sent me a DVD copy.
HMMM, wonder who that was???

I agree, the Lynx is the way to go. Magnum's & HTB's work well also..

Mark...
Old 03-26-2005, 05:50 PM
franklarabie

Is the dumas sprint any good im looking for something that easy to build and works great with a k&b 3.5 ss
Old 03-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Ron Olson

I'll leave this one for Mark, he is the only one that I know that can make a Dumas flat-out scream!
If you've got the money, I'd still go with one of the other hulls mentioned above. Most of these boats go together so fast you'd think that you did something wrong.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:47 AM
ob nut

Frank, the Hot Shot Sprint is a great boat. I did not have any luck with the ABS version though while others have had great success with it. Let's see if I can post a pic here.. This is a shot of my ex's wood Sprint at speed with a K&B 3.5 12mm modded..

If you are really looking for a boat to use the K&B SS motor with, think you should try out a Grimracer Villain instead. Grim designed the boat specifically for the SS motor. Get one of his 1440 props and you'll be set..
Old 04-16-2005, 09:06 PM
ebourlet

You can't go wrong with the Lynx from [link=http://www.vansracing.com/]Vans Racing Products[/link] This is the boat to beat in the 3.5 class . It not only holds just about every 3.5 Tunnel IMPBA record (even one that stood for over 10 years) but also won the NAMBA Nat's with Mark Anderson driving with a stock OS as well as holds the US-1 in IMPBA by Ron Drake. I just built mine 2 weeks ago and I set it up by the book with an OS set up for Stock OPC . The first day in the water was at our first NAMBA District 8 point race of the season. I was amazed how well this hull handles set up by the book it is completely predictable and you can drive it full tilt boogie around the corners (no having to set it). I ended up winning not only the 3.5 stock class because of the way the boat works but also 3.5 modified as well as 3.5 outboard hydro classes (with the same stock OS) . Prior to this boat I had a B&M LeeCraft they are also nice boats but can be tricky to get set up right. If you plan on racing get the Lynx. If you are not going to race then I would recommend you look into getting one of the hew Top Speed II boats that Jerry Dunlap designed for Great Planes. As I understand it the pricing I have heard for these makes them a very attractive boat to start with making them a good bang for the buck.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:20 PM
HobieHernandez

Man Ron,You can build a wooden tunnel in a day??WOW,I have slowly been workin on one for the past 3 month..I am currently working the bugs out of my plastic dumas,but it looks like it will smoke my 7.5Lapcat with ease..Great pic OBNut
Old 04-17-2005, 11:00 PM
Ron Olson

I didn't say a wood boat. I have watched some guys build wood boat kits in less than a weekend twice at a building party that was broadcast on the internet.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:35 PM
HobieHernandez

oops I assumed,You think JerryD can build it in a day??LOL
Old 04-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Ron Olson

JD might be able to, he's built enough of them in his time. I built a sailplane once in a weekend, I literally lived in the basement. My wife brought me down meals and it was a good thing that I have a drain in the floor!
Old 04-19-2005, 05:45 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: HobieHernandez

Man Ron,You can build a wooden tunnel in a day??WOW,I have slowly been workin on one for the past 3 month.
Only 3 months? I've got one I started in 1987. Decks are sheeted, just need to build the cowl, do the hardware install and paint it. I recently pulled it out of the box to see if I could get motivated to finish the thing.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:57 PM
ob nut

Years ago, I watched a buddy of mine rig up a fiberglass tunnel in 5 hours. Only item left to do was paint.

Believe JD stated that it takes him around 30 hours to build / rig a wof. For myself, if left alone, I could build a wof tunnel in a week.

Old 06-14-2005, 05:46 PM
87porsche

HI im not looking to race or anything but i just orderd a graupner gtx outboard motor. The company sells a hull for it and its 26" but i would like to build a wood hull. The engine is almost powerfull as a 3.5 outboard but the batteries and electrinics are heave so i dont know if i should get a (24" 3.5 hot shot sprint) or a (35" 7.5 hot shot) I like the shape of the hot shot 7.5 better but im afraid it will be too big and the engine will look way off scale. If anyone knows witch one is better in terms if scale , and if all the batteries would be to heavy that would be great. Does anyone know if there is a hot shot 3.5 not a hot shot sprint.i would need 2-3 1/2 puonds of batteries the motor is 7 inches tall.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:43 PM
eas___1990

if you want to wieght a bit theirs a new hull comin from hobbico call top speed 2
Old 06-14-2005, 07:35 PM
87porsche

yeah i looked at thet one on towerhobbies its only $100 but i like buildingthem
Old 06-14-2005, 10:22 PM
ob nut

Can you scratch build? Get a JD 29" WOF plans from RC Boat Modeler = [link=http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/listproducts.asp?catid=29&catego=PL]RCBM Plan page[/link] There is a 27" WOF listed also. Heard that the [link=http://www.grimracer.com/Boat%20Kits/Villain%20S1/villain.htm]Grimracer Villain[/link] is another hot ep tunnel. This is in a laser cut kit form. Very easy to assemble.

Good luck!