Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

complete newbie prop help

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

complete newbie prop help

Old 03-23-2005, 07:54 PM
joman2055

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default complete newbie prop help

My dad had this old Prather Tunnel Cat stiting on a shelf that hasnt been run for many years. We fired it up for about a couple seconds the other day and couldnt get it to run after that. It has a K/B 3.5 on the outboard. We ran it a few years back but it just keept fliping over when we gave it gas. I added weight to the front to keep the front end down and adjusted the egine so the prop was level. If I put a bigger prop on would it soften the low end punch similar to higher gearing on a car?

Any thing I should know before I try to run this thing? I have all the linkages setup and i tore apart the engine and cleaned it and replaced the bad bearings.
Thanks
Old 03-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: complete newbie prop help

You can only go so big on that motor because the cavitation plate limits you to only so many sizes. A 40mm prop is about the largest that can fit under it. Use the throttle to keep from accelerating too fast. How much weight did you add? I've seen some that have needed more than the usual 4 oz. to keep the boat from flipping.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:53 AM
joman2055

I dont remember how much we added i think it was like 6oz. It doesnt really matter anymore. I cant get the engine to start to save my life.
Thanks for the help.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:01 AM
Ron Olson

Keep trying. If the carb is clean and you have fresh fuel, the needle should be about 3-1/2 turns out. Make sure that you are cranking the motor the right way with your starter leads crossed, + on - and - on + as this motor starts backwards. You may or not know that but you'd be surprised at how many times that I've tried to fire up a K&B OB motor with the wires not switched. That's what happens when you run both inboards and outboards.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:07 AM
joman2055

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I thought that might be the problem!! I never ran it before because it wasnt mine till now. It started once but died so i rulled the backwards starting as a possiblility. Thank You Thank You Thank You!! Yes! I might finally get to use this thing. Thanks so much!
Old 03-28-2005, 01:19 AM
Ron Olson

That's not the only thing that you'll find backwards on that motor if you already haven't found out by now. The drive by the prop has left-handed threads. A great tool for removing that is the wrench that comes with Cox .049 motors. The end on the wrench that is used for removing the cylinder in the Cox motors fits right on there and on the side of the tool that opening will fit on the prop nut! Hobby Shops sometimes have that tool in stock and it's cheap.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:39 AM
Joe Petro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That reminds me of the time I let someone borrow my starting box for his outboard.
It was a big race, and my Picco (inboard) always started instantly.

When my heat was up, I couldn't keep the engine running to save my life.
After many frantic tries, I got a DNS.

Later, after all the local engine gurus were ripping my engine apart, one of the new members said "your starter wires are backwards".

Nobody ever thought to check.

Live & Learn!

Joe Petro
Old 03-29-2005, 12:43 PM
joman2055

I was very close to throwing this thing away becasue it has just been a joke trying to get it to work. I wanted to keep it becasue my dad lives on a lake and when i go up there i would have plenty of time to use this thing.