Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Turbine Hydro?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Turbine Hydro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 02:58 PM
Nojoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine Hydro?

Has anyone tried to put a turbine engine into their boat-specifically a 1/8 scale hydro? What is the set-up?
Yes I know that the logistics are going to make it tough; but I believe it could be done.
Thanx
Old 03-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Turbine Hydro?

This is one question that comes up every few months. At one time the IMPBA was looking at having an 1/8th scale class for turbine power but hooked up to a water prop and rev limiters. That kind of died off. Water is the enemy of these boats. Imagine flipping or dunking one with the engine cranking out 120,000 or more RPM. It wouldn't be pretty or a cheap fix.
Some of the Europeans have been doing some testing with them in monos, MHZ for one.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:57 PM
eas___1990

Mhz built a hydro for there turbine engine but lats time i looked it was expensive
Old 03-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I read the specs on the MHZ turbine, only to find that
A) You need to have a very large boat to use it(1/6th scale or larger)
B) Like all other turbines, its EXPENSIVE and runs on Kerosene or diesel
C) It has about the same output as a Zenoah G260, except with more RPM at the prop(21,500 as compaired to the 16,000 from the Zen)
Old 03-30-2005, 10:50 PM
Nojoy

Thanx for the feedback. It is much appreciatied! Where would I find more info about the MHz turbine boat? I know its expensive-but I am interested in the set up. I have seen some turbines for around $1500.00, which is more money than the boat. Is the 1/8 scale just to small for the power of the turbine? In the end Zenoah looks like the way to go if it is leagal for racing.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Ron Olson

http://www.mhzusa.com/xtdoc/catalogu...ype=97previews Ignore the price tag in there as it isn't what it will go for, it's just that the price hasn't been set yet. I've heard that it will be in the $3,000.00 range, just a little out of my range though. OK, a lot out of my range.........
Old 03-31-2005, 12:28 AM
Hydro Junkie

Not just for the power of the turbine, but for the weight and size as well. It has a diameter of 4.75 inches, giving approximately 1/8th inch on either side to standard 5 inch engine bay walls. Then you add the weight of the fuel(6.75 oz per minute at full throttle, 2.36 oz per minute at idle), requiring about 30 ounces for a five minute run. Figuring the 2+ pounds of fuel, engine control electronics, radio gear, running/steering gear and engine/gearbox weight, you're looking at better than 20 pounds. The boat might end up on the bottom with that much weight to support. A 1/6th scale hull has a third more size, so it will be able to handle the weight.

The Zenoah has similar problems to the Turbine. Too much torque and size for an 1/8th scaler, though weight isn't a problem. The engine bay, as well as the cowling, would need to be widened considerably for the engine to fit. 6 to 8 ounces of fuel will give fairly long run times, so the monster fuel load isn't needed. You also don't have the electronic engine controls, so a single throttle servo is all that's needed. A larger hull will handle the torque better and not need the engine bay widened so drastically. Here's a picture of a 1/6th scale hydro I'm working on. You can see how big the engine is compared to the hull. One thing to note is that the hull is 57 inches long.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81132.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	251780  
Old 03-31-2005, 01:38 AM
Nojoy

Ron, was that $3,000.00 for the entire boat including the turbine? Looking at the site, I wasn't sure if it is a prototype, or if they intend to make a turbine version of this hydro for production.

Hydro J. the 1/6 scale looks like the way to go. Are you scratch building your hydro; and who makes a 1/6 scale version. If the 1/6 scale will work with your engine, due to the required size, what about a 1/4 scale version? [8D]
Old 03-31-2005, 07:46 AM
eas___1990

http://www.mhzusa.com/xtdoc/catalogu...e=25hydroplane heres the boat i was talkin bout its the one with no pics of the boat.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:01 AM
Ron Olson

Nope, that was just the turbine. That price was on the conservative side.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

I don't think anybody "makes" a 1/6th scale hull at this time. My boat is built from Roger Newton plans that have been blown up to 134% Beyond that, everything has been done by hand.