Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Do I run or not??????? What should I do??

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.
View Poll Results: A poll
Run my boats
100.00%
Don't run my boats
0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Do I run or not??????? What should I do??

Old 03-31-2005, 02:23 PM
ejp67
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I run or not??????? What should I do??

O.k. Everytime I go to the local pond there is about 3-4 cars there. [&o] I even went today which is a week day and it is the same way. So my question is, would you still run your boat or would you pack up and go home??? I just want to run my BOATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 05:07 PM
Strecker25

Default RE: Do I run or not??????? What should I do??

well if theyre fishing or sitting in the pond on a canoe then no, thats pretty rude. If theyre just sitting there though maybe ask if theyd mind? idk i usually find an empty pond myself
Old 03-31-2005, 05:16 PM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

i have a diff view. if its public then rip some roosters! lmao i know when i get mine in(if it ever makes it) tapping my fingers, ill be everywhere i can. serious id at least go on the other side and then id be scaring the fish towards them .
Old 03-31-2005, 05:28 PM
jw637362
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this Pond in a public area as in the middle of town or is it away from rural areas?

The reason I ask is I have a local city park pond near where I live. It is populated quite abit. I frequented the area for awhile and decided to try out my Tunnel Hull there. I asked around to the people at the park as Strecker suggested. They said sure and found it fun to watch, and even got a couple of people interested in the hobby, Ran it there for awhile and a lady from 2 blocks away came up just yelling and screaming at the top of her lungs about the noise. She went to the city board and now we do not run boats there. I did not care much about that location as we have a couple of others around to do it at. Just the principal of the thing.

Electrics would not be a problem, if you ask the people there and no one is on the pond at the time - fishing, swimming, boating etc...
But be very careful about the gas stuff. You can end up with fines from Noise ordanances, disturbing the peace etc...

Jeff

Old 03-31-2005, 06:01 PM
ejp67

Well it is a public pond. It is out in the country and the nearest house is about 1/4 of a mile away. The thing is, You can only be on one side of the lake. There is no access to the other side. I would be about 50 feet away from the nearest person. It is mainly just people with too much time on their hands The lake is pretty big, So, if someone complains about it then should I just say sorry and tell them I'll pack up and leave. I run nitro so it DOESN'T RUN ON GAS. I think the sign says something like, No GAS powered vechicles. Also, I can say it is a toy not a vechile, If the guy that yells at me can ride it then I'll give him a prize
Old 03-31-2005, 07:21 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

So, what are the people in the 3 or 4 cars doing? If they are doing something that they shouldn't be doing that is illegal there, drinking, getting a buzz on or whatever, they won't call the Police. Are they using the water at all or doing something else? If they're not using the pond, go ahead and fire up the boat(s). You never know, they might become interested in what you're doing. If they gripe, too bad unless there is an ordinance against what you are doing. Try to be courteous about it either way.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:24 AM
ejp67

Well, it seems that they are fishing to me. I am going to go try it and see what happens. Cross my fingers and wish me luck.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:52 AM
dbm0011

OH Where to Start!
First off let me give you my background of running boats....1 month.
Now. I too live in a small town with a public park with a (according to the Dept. of Inland game and Fisheries) Drainage retention pond. The City does stock this Drainage pond with trout, bass, catfish. Lots of people fishing as the spring and summer come on. It has a parking lot adjacent to it where there was a boat launch at one time. Now the boat launch is blocked by large sharp rocks. The only signs posted around the lake are "Danger Thin Ice", and a notice that you have to have a fishing license for trout during certain months. The runoff in the streets from the rain makes it way through this pond. The runnoff from the parking lot ends up in this retention pond also. Why anyone would want to eat the fish from here is beyond me. Walmart has them already cleaned.LOL

Before I ran my boat I called the Parks and Recreation Dept. and asked a supervisor if it was legal and OK ot run gas powered RC boats in the pond. Answer: YES, but need to check with the police to make sure that I dont need a permit.

Now called police dept and asked if I needed a permit and was it OK to run my RC boat in the pond? Answer: Capt Dickerson left me a message, If i planned on putting people on a boat and riding them around, NO. If I planned on standing on the shore and running a remote control boat, sure, "go have fun", and no permit is needed.
I saved that VM just in case the police showed up.

One cop came by on his usual park patrol and was interested and wanted to see it run. The parks dept. employees all come out to smoke during the day and watch from across the parking lot. Of course before leaving I always try to pick up some kind of trash out of the water and throw it away. Makes it a little nicer tomorrow.

I build Networks for Big Box Stores(Walmart, CC, HD) as I have just come off the road from a 5 month rollout, I have quite a bit of time on my hands for 10 wks. Not much to do. So I have been out to the pond 3 - 4 days out of the week 2 - 3 hrs at a shot, different times of the day, 7am, 11am, 1pm,4pm,5:30 always somebody fishing if not 5 or 6.

If too many people are spread all the way around the lake, I just go home. If only a few, then I go ahead and run it. I dont ask, i am respectful of where they are fishing and contain myself to an area of the pond that is not intruding on their lines.

I am working on a water intake problem and only run the boat for 6-10 laps at a time. If the boat happens to die in the middle I hear little snickers and I think they actually like seeing the boat cutting off in the middle of the pond.

Finally this last week( people must not have jobs) while running the boat I noticed a gentleman walking from the parks building talking on a cell phone coming towards the pond. He proceeded to walk over to some people fishing on the side of the pond at which time both the people fishing and the parks guy hung up their cell phones. He then comes over to me and tells me that there has been a complaint and that people were fishing and this was a public pond for recreation.
I dont think that he was ready for me. I am not a child, I am 36yrs old and well spoken, at times. I mentioned that I had permission from one of the supervisors of the parks dept to run the boat , I even offered to let him hear the VM from the Capt. of the Police dept.
About this time a little crowd is gathering, a guy and his daughter(both with fishing poles) an army recruiter in uniform, 2 guys with rc trucks the 3 kids watching us run the boat. He did not notice them at first. The parks guy exlained how i must respect the fisherman at the pond, at which time i interrupted and said that this is "public pond for recreation"? he ansered yes, along with the crowd all shaking their heads in agreement. I then stated that this has to be a 2 way street then. I explained that I am very respectful of the people fishing, if they want the pond to fish with no boat, fine, when do I get my day to run the boat with no fisherman in the water, after all this is a public pond, or should I say drainage retention pond.
This was more than the parks guy had bargained for. I did my homework first.

Now, Yesterday, on way to the pond i stopped and asked a city cop if when he comes back through the park again, could he put his radar gun on the boat to check the speed. Said he couldnt with his stationary gun. (i fugured now that my RC boat is on his mind, just in case he hears something on his radio about a boat in the park, he would respond) Sure enough, people fishing called the cops and guess who showed up( our town is only 35K people)not only the cop that i stopped and asked about the radar gun, but the cop who came by 3 weeks ago and wanted to see it run, and the parks guy came down. I was still running the boat with all of them watching. I pulled it into shore to drain the water and talk to the cops. They explained how they got 3 calls about the boat preventing them from fishing. I mentioned to the police that I was being respectful of the the fisherman as they well witnessed, and how I have permission from the parks dept and Capt Dickerson. Once I mentioned Capt. Dickerson, the cop stated "thats my boss, if he said you can run it, then its OK". The parks guys then says "I'll make a phone call tomorrow and see if we can get that changed." If return I replied, If you get the rules to the pond changed, I will make sure this little situation makes national News....CNN,Something.
I also stated that if they really wanted to take this further, Lets ask the big question. Why is the city wasting my tax money by buying fish and throwing them in the sewer. After all this is a drainage retention pond with an outlet to the James river which ends up in the chesapeake bay.
Does the city really want the people of out town to eat what comes out of this drainage retention pond? I would hope not.

Just before leaving I went up to the parks guya nd said that I really dont want to start any problems, and in fact if during his meeting tomorrow about the pond, if there if anything that I can do to help solve this problem please give me a call. He said that he would.

So just to cover myself I am going out to take pictures of the pond. Inparticular the fishing lines and bobbers stuck in and hanging from the trees, the dead fish stabbed to the groud with a stick, the dead fish floating at waters edge, the dead rabbit at the end of a black plastic pipe that that dumps into the pond, the origin end of the black plastic pipe, the trash in and around the pond. etc.
BUT THATS NOT ALL,
then I am going to get a couple of mason jars of pond water and unbenounced to the city ask them to test my water and see if it is suitable for drinking or fish. I am not going to tell them that it is their pond water. I am also going to send a sample off the the EPA and also have a local swimming pool company test it. As I said , I have alot of time on my hands, and I dont think that the parks guy was ready for all of this.

I dont want to cause problems, I just want to run my boat. It has to be a 2 Way street.
By the way did I mention there is no swimming in the pond, but it is not posted.

from the states web site:

Lake Tams is a three-acre, storm water retention pond located at Gypsy Hill Park in Staunton. It has a fair largemouth bass population and improving bluegill fishery. Channel catfish are stocked twice a year. Grass carp were introduced to control aquatic vegetation. This lake is one of the Community Lake Improvement Program (C.L.I.P.) lakes, and includes a stocked trout program.

Good Luck keeping your lakes.
I'll update after the meeting today.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:06 PM
ejp67

Well, I called the DOW and the lady said there is nothing that can stop me. She said just as long as nothing is attached to it then its fine. Don't quite understand that statement but what ever.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:45 PM
ejp67

Well just got back from running. No one said a word except a water truck driver and heres what he said "Wow those things are pretty fast." Now all I have to do is order some fuel because I am all out.[&o][&o]
Old 04-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Ron Olson

DBM, nice job. You used your brains and tact plus covered all sides.
EJP, what she referred to is hooking up a fishing line or something to the back of your boat. Using something like that is illegal in a lot of states.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:56 PM
ejp67

Thats exactly what my dad said. Can you just see me pulling in a fish at 35 mph.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:56 PM
jetpack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the lake that I use, it is a city lake with a city boat launch thats concrete....everyone uses it with thier trailers and boats, even a small parking area for thier rigs when they push off and go fishing. Mind you, this is not a very big lake, but do to a BOAT LAUNCH being there, I LAUNCH my boats. Granted, I do have to come in when there is activity, but do to the activity, no fishermen MESS with the area....so noise and such in my opinion just simply KEEPS it that way.
As far as ponds go, any pond that is there because of a dig-out for fill for an OVERPASS on a highway is fair game, usually it is privately owned by a farmer, and as long as your not taking his FISH out of there, its usually O.K. with that guy.
Thats been my experience and thoughts on this matter.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:45 PM
dbm0011

All I can say is DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
here is an update from my last post. I contacted the parks dpt sprv who said that he would send an email out as we spoke to let everyone in the parks dept that gas powered boats were allowed in the lake. Just to see where else I could run, I contacted the county whom in turn transfered me to the local Dept. Game and Inland Fisheries. While speaking with officer Kester I soon learned that he had seen me run the boat over the last couple of weeks and thought that it was pretty cool. "the little red budweiser boat?" He also stated that I was more than welcome to run the boat in the lake at the park. Unfortunately, I cant run anywhere else in the county with gas due to the ponds are all fed by streams from the national forest. Water protection program here in Va. Anyway, Keep in mind Lake tams is a 3 acre lake, on the way home i had remembered that there was a large body of water in the city limits that i located on the city GIS map locator page. Pretty handy, I went to the location of the pond and it was privately owned. Just to see, all they could say was no. I went ahead and asked the owner about the lake and if it would be OK on occasion to run my rc boat. This little old country man asked how many people would be coming out, and how big is your boat? I showed him and he told me about the 7 YES 7 YES 7 acre lake that is 65 feet deep at the far end. When I showed him my 1/12 Miss Bud He stated (in the most southern accent I can do) " I dont see any reason why you cant play with your little toy in the lake, you go right ahead". THANK YOU LORD THANKYOU.
I did not want to over stay my welcome and only stayed about 30-40 min. While I was getting ready to leave I thanked him for allowing us to come out and enjoy his lake. We now have permission to run at his lake anytime. I will take some pictures next time we go.
I am also checking with a local rock quarry that has 4 lakes here in town, hundreds of feet deep and very large. we will find out about that on Monday. Do your Home work.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Ron Olson

With our annual Fun Run, I try to cover all of the bases. first, I get the OK with the City Parks and Recreation Dept. and in order for me to set up buoys I have to get a Regatta permit from the Dept. of Natural Resources. Any time that we set up a course I have to obtain this form to fill out at least 30 days ahead of time. Both of these groups are very helpful to me, especially the P&R Dept. . The park that we use has in the past few years had almost $1,000,000.00 in improvements to make it more family friendly. The park has slowly started to deteriorate from drinking, drug use and prostitution but are seriously cracking down on that sort of thing there. With us in there, such other events such as marathons, dog walks (usually a fund-raiser for the Humane Society) helps to keep the bad stuff from happening. The permits also help to keep "The Man" from trying to kick us out in case of any complaints and we haven't had a bit of trouble there.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:42 AM
ob nut

Ron, if any of the "locals" complain about us running at Spring Valley, I'd be running for the hills!! For those that don't know, the "locals" are generally 6" under.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:19 PM
eas___1990

heck i just walk across the street and run my boat.Te only problem i have encountered is that ALOT of people are interested.One time i had a cop watch me,dont know whether it was good or bad but i only ran bout 10 or 15 minutes and got out of there
Old 04-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Ron Olson

Don't worry about the Police unless they ask you to leave. One pond that I go to is one of the places that they let the Police dogs relieve themselves. Some of the local cops are pretty cool here. I had one pull me over a few weeks ago just as I was pulling out of my driveway. I thought that my son was in trouble again. No, come to find out, he races R/C trucks and stopped by to shoot the breeze with me.
We were running at one lake and the DNR officers showed up, wanting to watch us run. One of them got his radar gun out and was clocking our boats for us!
Old 04-10-2005, 09:08 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Ron , You mean your lakes are FINALLY thawed ?

I was just up there a couple weeks back ( Grand Rapids AND Kalamazoo ) and those lakes were STILL frozen .[&o] ( and it snowed TOO ! ! )
( felt for ya [&o] )
Glad to hear your finally getting some run/fun time . ( sorry for going off topic )

Old 04-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Ron Olson

Yeah, the weather's been weird here. Almost 80 last week then a day later back in the 30-50's. Today is supposed to be near 80 again so I'm going to get off this thing and go run some boats! I'm going to work this afternoon so I gotta get movin'. i'm only yaking the little ones out for now as they're air-cooled, the water is just a little too cold for the water-cooled ones without messing with the water restriction.
You were in Kalamazoo and didn't call? I'm in the phone book under Ron and Brenda.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:44 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Sorry , but the hours I was there , I think even the dead were asleep .. Din't think you , or your wife would have appreciated a call at that hour ...
(delivered at 3 AM and went to Holland for a 6 am pickup of my outbound loud )
next time I get there though , better believe I'm gonna try and bring at least one of my boats to hopefully try and get to run with you . ( would be a great pleasure for me to get to run with you at LEAST once . )[8D]
Old 04-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Ron Olson

I just got back from the Toxic pond, if you ever went there you'd know what I mean! Both boats need a little dialing in done yet. I tried to upload them to rcflix but my 'puter is being a pain in the wazoo.