Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

new boat is a no go, NEED HELP!!!

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

new boat is a no go, NEED HELP!!!

Old 04-02-2005, 05:16 PM
ltllavey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new boat is a no go, NEED HELP!!!

i just built my own boat basically from scratch, a deep vee hull(off name), and all traxxas parts except i replaced the old engine with a .16 megatech air cooled. the boat runs fine idles and goes a little in the water but when i hit the gas it revs high and usually dies. my problem is i cant get it to go any faster than idle, what do i do, help please.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:22 PM
ltllavey

Default RE: new boat is a no go, NEED HELP!!!

i thought maybe some pics would help
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20072.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	252980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41100.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	252981  
Old 04-05-2005, 12:12 PM
pmuff

air cooled engines not suited to boats as there is not enough ventilation to cool the engine
you need to install a marine water cooled engine and this will solve your problem
Old 04-05-2005, 03:30 PM
t3racer

You might be able to buy a marine head and put it on the motor. Or maybe get some tubing and make a custom cooling head.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:11 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

get rid of that prop!! trying giving the boat a gentle , forward toss in the water to get it up on a plane...that prop will get you no-where...FAST...without some coaxing [&:]

i think we need more details, but it doesn't sound like the air cooling is the major problem here
Old 04-05-2005, 09:18 PM
eas___1990

did you try cutting a hole a little bigger than the cooling fins diameter.That might get some more air to cool it,then you could put a scoop over the hole if you can find or make one to fit.Oh ya if that dont quite solve it do the custome water cooling head to.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Let's see. The prop is a little large, you need to get the prop shaft level with the bottom of the boat and lastly, you're going to find out that the needle on a Megatech motor is super-sensitive to changes. Oh yeah, the carb is too lean. Get it to where on land that it had a slight lag to it when you blip the throttle then fine tune it from there. The prop will load the motor and in essence lean it out.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:05 AM
project5k

almost sounds like something in the drive line is slipping, you said that when you hit the gas when its in the watter the motor reves up real high but that teh boat dosent go anywhere, in check to make sure something like a collet or whatnot isnt slipping...
Old 05-14-2005, 09:37 PM
eas___1990

its definately the needle like ron said and your better off changeing the prop
Old 05-16-2005, 08:51 PM
QuickMick

I could be wrong.. but it looks like the driveshaft from the U-joint to the motor is Flexable? Look at the part of the U-joint closest to the transom. It looks like it is aiming down. Thus leading me its on a flexishaft and thats a big NO NO for a flexi to a U-joint. I have seen people do this and It didnt work.
I agree prop is too steep. As far as the motor, add water cooling to the head even if you get some brass tubing and wrap it around the heat sinks to make a heat transfer tube.

Mick
Old 05-16-2005, 09:12 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

The cooling of the heatsink on the MEGATECH ( or just about any buggy engine ) is not really needed , as long as it gets enough air .
And about the shaft setup .... I agree about the angle , but for different reasons ...
1) the U-joints , are gonna give your prop , NOT "clean" water - meaning that the U joints are going to stir the water ( because of the angle of the two ) up BEFORE the prop ever gets a bite causing MORE cavitation than what would alreay be there .
2) those plastic connections are not worth a hoot and WILL break .
I converted one of those electric WILDCATs into a nitro , AND as a matter of fact , also used a MEGATECH M-16 engine in it also .
Also , ditch that muffler and get a tuned pipe ... you will get MUCH better performance , even if its one of those cheapo $.99 buggy ones that sell on EBAY all the time . ( the ones that come stock on a lot of the 12 and 18 and even 21's )

If you run a flex , then eliminate those U joints and go with a ferrule connection .
If you change over to a solid shaft , rather than the flex , get rid of those plastic U joints and get some steel ones .... The plastic are great for little electric toys , but not good for gasser or nitro's .
Old 05-17-2005, 05:43 PM
eas___1990

my head onmy buggy engine in my nh is just bearly out of the top and it doesnt need extra cooling