Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

dumas deep v 40-60

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

dumas deep v 40-60

Old 04-07-2005, 09:35 PM
kelldog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dumas deep v 40-60

Where in the dickens can I find any kind of motor for here.New to boats but been flying for a looonnnggg time.GETS KIND OF CONFUSING to match hardware and motor together.My son decided to build a boat over the long ct winter and we are at a stand still for engine . Not much out there in the 60-90 size and hardware.The dumas deep v is about 38 inches long and figure we could use throttle control with a 90.Boats are harder then planes when you get down to the harware.E-bay has very little,k&b,ops and the like will be 5 bills when we are done.Can we use a car engine?Any help would be great!Thanks! kelldog
Old 04-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: dumas deep v 40-60

Kelldog; John from Vernon CT here.
I had one of those Deep Vees a loooooong time ago when offshore racing was big around here. As I recall, the last thing you want to use for an ENGINE for that boat is one that's air cooled. The boat is very deep and the engine sits very low in the hull and will not get enough cooling air flow to keep it from overheating. Also, I would not recommend a .90 engine. I don't think the hull can take that power. Stick to a .60, max. There is a reasonable selection of sport marine engines available. Granted, they are not as widely advertised as are airplane engines but they are available. Look at Tower hobbies for OS Max, Mecoa for K&B, Aeromarine for OPS (pricey! and not really a sport engine) and the list goes on as does the price. An airplane engine equipped with a cylinder head cooling jacket and a flywheel could be an economical option to get you going.

If you are interested, send me an E Mail at [email protected] and I'll send you a race schedule for our boat club. We are the Greater Hartford Model Boat Club. Racing/Playing at Mansfield Hollow State Park which is about 5 miles past UCONN on rt 195 south. You and your son are welcome to visit and gain some valuable knowledge about boats. We'll be glad to help you get into the water. Bring the boat.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:51 PM
kelldog

Thanks for the prompt reply, been out of the country,would love to see a race and or join the club.Give me a chance to talk to my son at uconn.I raced hurricanes at the bridge in east hartford 30 yrs ago.I will keep in touch!!!!! kelldog
Old 04-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Square Nozzle

Kelldog, we used to put on a demo in conjunction with the outboard races in E Hartford. Also ran our "Offshore" races there. Boy that was a dusty, messy shore line.

Our first local club outing is at Mansfield Hollow State Park on Sunday May 1. It will be a fun type day. No racing. We are in a location that is off the beaten path so if you can stop by, let me know and I'll direct you to the site.

I have a daughter at Uconn.

Are we running in the same tunnel?

John
Old 04-12-2005, 09:16 PM
kelldog

HEY JOHN<<< MY son is smart,handsome Im told,funny, and soon too be rich in sales.MAYBE,uummm,, yes,maybe he is good enough for your daughter!!!He is a senior so we have to act fast.YAAAA neeevvveerrr no!!!!What a team and pit crew we could have!!!REALLY ask your daughter if she knows Kevin Kelly.How about us setting up a blind date when I see you this summer!Betcha they would date again.He has been dating same girl for three years and just got news she is transferring. KELLDOG
Old 04-12-2005, 09:21 PM
kelldog

John,Forgot to suggest the first date would be set up at our own private dock at calm and smooth Westhill pond.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Square Nozzle

Having a son in his 20's you should be aware that any suggestion of "I want you to meet someone" is catamount to a family fued. I'll ask her if she knows Kevin. With the student population at UConn, it isn't likely.

What do you do on "calm and smooth Westhill Pond"? A dock suggests that there may be a boat there. Let me guess, Kevin Slalom skis and barefoots when he is home from school. Also sounds like a place you might want to run that Dumas Deep Vee.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:31 PM
kelldog

John, West hill pond has a seven and a half horsepower restriction on the lake.Kevin scuba dives,snorkels, sun bathes, and fights with his other two brothers on the dock!My wife and neighbors at the docks say I should intervine.I just say that they will work out their pecking order and WHAT WE DO NEED is a dumas deep v 60 and a six pack.John, if we do meet this summer,and I will remember this forum, will invite you up for swimming and rc. 26 years here and its paradise!Three other rc boats on the lake.I now this sounds crazy BUT! Just happen to walk by my fleet of planes and in my hand was a ruler measuring my g 26 in my stinger 120 airplane!BY GOLLY it fits.As every one knows me at our club,I go all the way or nothing!!I am a wood pattern and model maker by trade.Worked alot on the shuttle,747,black hawk etc.,so I do know how to build very well.When I was 13 built a glen L hydro for up to a 10 hp., put a hurricane 25 on her and held on!!!Had of course a spring throttle so never was hurt.Out of regulation for racing but it sure was fun!Did win alot for piloting brad snows boats however.Need to be on the edge again john!This should do it huh, in rc boats!Lots of ducks around so when you come over we could rig something up to spear our appetizers! KELLDOG
Old 04-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Square Nozzle

My assessment - a Deep V 60 will not "put you on the edge" but it's a start in the right direction. When you see what is out there for R/C boating and what some of our club members run you will be inspired. Either that or we will consider you brain dead. Keep May 1 highlighted on your calendar. Till then we'll keep em flying. My wife will be working on Saturday so I plan to spend the day at the flying field. You know the routine, relax a little, talk a little, fly alot!