Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Nitro Wet pipe???????

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Nitro Wet pipe???????

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 10:16 PM
ejp67
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Wet pipe???????

On another forum a guy put his pressure fitting up by the front of the pipe and at the center he had his water drop in there. Is this a good or bad idea??? Could I put my pressure fitting up on the header so water has no chance in getting in my fuel???
Old 04-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Wet pipe???????

It's not really a good idea as you kind of answered your own question. Any water that will run into the pipe can go into the engine after you've shut it down. The Gas boaters do it for 3 reasons, one, to help cool the pipe, two, to quiet the noise, and third, it artificially shortens the pipes length.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:59 PM
DMACK
My Feedback: (9)

The pressure fitting is usually placed at the widest part of the pipe. This is where the pressure is at the highest. Up near the header the temperature is at its higest and due to the divergence of the pipe the air is slowing, cooling and loosing pressure. This stops when the pressure wave starts to hit the converging end of the pipe. That is why the pressure is highest at the widest point. This provides the most pressure to give you a constant needle setting, rather than one that changes with pressure drops.

I have never seen a nitro boat with a water return into the tuned pipe. I usually run a header with a water jacket on it in addition to the one on the motors head. This keepf the coupler from burning out prematurely. Water being dumped into the pipe will affect the total volume of the pipe. Even if it is being blown out the back it would increase the total pressure, decrease the pipes effective volume, and possible risk water over cooling the engine at low rpms.

I have seen them on gas boats but they tend to be at the very end of the pipe which usually has an oversized opening. This is usually to add scale appearence, because the real sized boat has a water exaust. Also right after running the boat there would be some left over water in the pipe which could easily run right into the motor when you pick up the boat. Rapidly cooling the internal metal of the engine, while depositing salt and or minerals from the water into your engine.

No, I would not reccomend this.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:11 PM
ejp67
My Feedback: (5)

Do you think I could try it and see what happens. My exhaust runs down hill as it is so it would not just dump in my engine unless it went down hill when I picked it up.