Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

need air filter for marine engine?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

need air filter for marine engine?

Old 04-11-2005, 06:34 PM
truckstalk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need air filter for marine engine?

i dunt see any air filter with the shockwave 36. does it need one for the engine? if not, what if the boat begins sinking? will water pour into the engine thru the carbutetor? confused.

thank you in advance.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:37 PM
eas___1990

Default RE: need air filter for marine engine?

its not needed but it might do somthing
Old 04-12-2005, 08:56 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the water will get into the engine if the boat flips over. Does it matter? NO. Water in a model boat engine typically does no harm unless it takes a big gulp at high RPM. Then you have a good possibility of bending the connecting rod. If the boat gets out of shape and you think it's going over, pull back on the throttle. An air filter may slow the water going into the carb but it will not prevent it from coming in. If water gets in, pull the plug and motor the engine with the starter untill the water stops coming out of the plug hole. I like to choke the engine after I have the majority of the water out. The flush of fuel helps get water out of the bearings -- but not all of it. The best thing to do is run the engine next and get it up to temperature so the water is all flushed out. Running it usually means you put it back in the water and put a load on the engine to get it to temperature. DO NOT EVER EVER EVER run it on the beach above a fast idle or you'll have more trouble than a little water will cause. A good practice is to run fuel with castor oil in it. The castor leaves a film on the bearing races and balls and helps prevent corrosion. After your day of fun, it helps to put in some after run oil (Marvel Mystery oil, Air tool oil, transmission fluid etc) especially if you choose to run all synthetic oil in your fuel. It goes a long way in the prevention of bearing corrosion.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:20 AM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

i was wondering this as well on my bud boat and someone posted a pic of their boat and they used the exhaust coupler to help keep the water out if it does get in their. here is the pic
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27..._2/key_/tm.htm