Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Miss Bud...Dynamite 15...engine bogging down

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Miss Bud...Dynamite 15...engine bogging down

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:33 AM
dbm0011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss Bud...Dynamite 15...engine bogging down

Hello All,
my miss bud is having problems. When I launch the craft it starts as if it is going to plane, then the engine boggs down, like there is some incredible load on it. It merely putts around not making it up on plane. Low speed screw 5 turns out, high speed 2 1/4 turns out. light trail of smoke comes out, high speed whine out of the water when on full throttle, nice even low idle when not on throttle out of the water. What could it be? Any ideas?
All help is greatly appreciated.
By the way - going to Aeromarine Friday this week. Looking at an Avenger 44 with upgraded race engine G260?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:42 PM
letitloose

Default RE: Miss Bud...Dynamite 15...engine bogging down

Be very careful messing with the low speed screw. I was told only to tune with the high speed screw to lean out. But unless you absolutly have to, do not mess with the low speed. I have a miss bud too. And have read various articals on this dynamite .15 engine and they have pretty much all said you should leave it at factory settings. (i'm not really sure why) But my guess is that it is very sensitive. Anyways good luck. Maybe try setting back to origional factory setting.[8D]
Old 04-13-2005, 05:51 AM
dbm0011

Factory settings are set slightly rich to begin. Back to step one again.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:00 AM
letitloose

Well i don't think you have to start completly over just set the low spped back, an usr the high speed to lean it out. so there is a nice white-blue smoke trail out the exhaust, and nice high pitch whine.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:31 PM
ritzheli

A suggsestion, did you properly break this in? The best way is to remove the engine from the boat and mount on some type of steady platform, mounted in vise helps here. Be sure to use the fuel tank and mount the exhuast pipe to make the engine think it is still in the hull. Start off with the factory settings and by the time you have put several tanks through the engine, you can slowly lean out the carb(high speed needle) until the engine just barly begines to scream that high pitch whine. Under load the engine will seam to lean out so don't lean out too much on test bench, as it will stall under load of water/prop. The test bench mounting makes it very easy to adjust the carb and fix any potential stall or stop-running condition. I made my idle adjustment slightly rich, so when the boat hits the load of the water the carb leans out just right to run around on an idle without quiting. This comes in handy when you have to remove leaves, seaweed from turn fin or rudder. I have been able to lift my boat out of the water and remove the debris and put it right back in still running! This comes in very handy with a failsafe system installed, so you can idle the boat back until it is in range or that you just need to charge the batteries. Swimming here is an option, but with the potental speed this boat runs at, you might need an electric chase boat to bring Miss Bud back to your position. I'm going for a second season with an FM radio installed w/failsafe. Any of the suggestions to up-grade the boat are well worth the time spent, auto bailer, carb snorkle, plate at the rear of "Turbine Exhaust"(to keep water out of backing up from the rear) and the best addition is an anti-cavatation plate on stern. Doing these things will make you a very happy boater
Old 04-13-2005, 09:08 PM
letitloose

Another way to break-in is get w fresh water adapter, either build one or buy off e-bay. I bought mine off ebay for $11.00 and am very happy with it. would have dreaded breaking in on the water[:'(] Especially when the want almost 5 tanks run through it to be considered broken-in. I also used the Blue thunder "first run fuel" Has a little more lube in it. I know everyone on here has a favorite fuel. I feel just find one with good lube and stick with it.
Good luck, i sure you will get it straightened out.[8D]
Old 04-13-2005, 09:55 PM
ejp67
My Feedback: (5)

Can any of you guys slow your bud down to idle and then get it back on plane without taking on a bunch of water?[]
Old 04-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DBM, DO NOT clamp your engine in a vise and run it unloaded to break it in. There are specific procedures for breaking in engines. They differ with the type of piston / cylinder configuration you have. I am not familiar with the engine in your boat so I will not get specific. It is either a ringed engine (piston ring) or ABC style (no ring. Aluminum piston with a chrome plated brass sleeve. There are variations in the sleeve configuration.). In either case, the engine must be under a load to properly break it in. Leave it in the boat and run it. ABC type piston/sleeve configurations like to be run in using short runs at near peak RPM with total cool down between runs. A ringed engine needs extended rich runs with progressively increasing rpm. Clamping the engine in a vise will distort the case and result in accelerated wear and premature failure. No load will hammer the rod and result in rod failure. I believe your issue is not related to breakin but rather, improper needle setting.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:55 AM
ritzheli

I didn't mean to clamp the engine in directly, but on a wooden platform, able to hold the fuel tank as well as the exhaust. Running these engines to break-in in a boat hull can be very frustrating.ie,chasing close to shore because it stopped, isn't much fun to retrieve. This is why I run slightly rich on bench, which most times is perfect in the boat on or in the water. I know running!QUOT!unloaded!QUOT! isn't the best way to break-in an engine, I don't run full throttle out of water, just getting the carb close to perfect settings out of the hull is much easier than trying to mess with small screwdrivers in tight places in or near the water.(I like hassle-free runs on my days off) Use your best judgment and don't full throttle out of water(load).
Old 04-14-2005, 11:09 AM
ritzheli

Yes you can, as long as you have done some of the suggested up-grades to make this boat even better, as it isn't to good running out of the box. An auto bailer, custom made plate/baffle installed around the exhaust of the turbine rear opening and or a possible carb snorkel. These improvement helped my boat come out of diving into a lake swell that was too tall for my speed and the whole bow was submerged, but to my delight the engine was still running a good strong idle and I just ran in circles(to get water out through the auto bailer) and the hull completely emptied and I kept on running, I was very impressed with this run I'll never forget. Pay attention to swell size, depending on your speed. Happy Boating!
Old 04-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ritz, If I was confused with your suggestion, then imagine what a new boater was thinking. These guys don't have a clue when it comes to setting up and running a boat. Be very specific with your instructions so they cannot be mis-interpreted. Both you and I know that you never run an engine unloaded at high RPM and certainly never clamp the crankcase in anything, but they don't.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:59 PM
ritzheli

Thanks John, some of us have messed around for years with these engines, and some things we do just because we learned our lesson the hard way, black and blue fingers, new motor, etc. Miss Bud can be a very enjoyable boat, but don't be in a hurry and take time to be safe. That prop will slice through a finger real fast!
Safety is #1 rule in this type of boating, as these boats will always draw a crowd, NEVER RUN WITH PEOPLE IN WATER WHERE BOAT IS RUNNING![>:] If you don't have good equipment and use caution, you're a hazard to all involved in this most enjoyable hobby.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:38 PM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

quote "custom made plate/baffle installed around the exhaust of the turbine rear opening and or a possible carb snorkel "
ritzboats-got any pics of this and what is a snorkel? are you talking about extending the carb up w/ a air cleaner tube or something?
Old 04-14-2005, 02:20 PM
ritzheli

zzman, I made a custom plate that blocks the water from coming in from the rear(when you idle down from high speed for instance). I used thin aluminum sheet, cut with scissors, and allow for clearance around pipe and turbine shroud(does'nt have to be tight), air does have to get by! Use the turbine exhaust(silver part) to hold down the plate and angle it like the shroud to make things easy to install. Some people have even stuffed some old rag here, but the engine needs to have moving air! The carb snorkel is just some cheap clear flexible tubing that is long enough to almost reach the top of the turbine cover, cut top at an angle to follow the turbines' shape, inside. This has saved me many times as my boat sometimes thinks it is a submarine! Don't go fast if lake has any kind of swells, the first swell the boat will leap, the second swell it will hit the side and will DIVE in! Happy Boating
Old 04-14-2005, 04:28 PM
zzman

man a pic would be great. i dont understand for sure -are you talking about in the rear of the turbine? and how does the snorkel work if you end upside down? wouldnt it be better to just put a small piece on the carb? im just trying to understand,sorry. like i said a pic is worth a 1000 words.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:41 PM
ritzheli

zzman, I'll take some pics and attempt to upload them to this website so I can show you mods I've done to my boat, if it isn't posted by darkness for you(I'm in Indiana), I'll get in touch and send pics through e-mail. The improvements are well worth the time spent doing it right the first time!
Old 04-14-2005, 06:37 PM
zzman

ya mine (new never ran) is sitting in pieces doing all what addic has done to his. its the new bud. my woman said "uhhh why dont you try to run it stock for a change?" lmao. i just want it to be right and not act like a sinker. the only thing im leary of putting in the the auto bailer ive heard too many horror stories about them[] "auto sinker"
Old 04-14-2005, 06:48 PM
ritzheli

zzman, my PC doesn't want to cooperate uploading pics, my e-mail; [email protected], I'll send back pics in e-mail
Old 04-14-2005, 09:12 PM
zzman

ritz-YGM
Old 04-15-2005, 07:40 AM
zzman

I hope these help, each one shows what I did to make this a fun boat(no hassle) If you decide to install a bailer, drill a smaller hole and gradually enlarge to fit the bailer, using a round file. The black stuff on the aviation plate is servo tape for the underside of the rudder pivot support, it is also on the hull side too as attachment. The cowling picture shows where I epoxied a narrow plastic strip to hold some foam against the air holes for the engine, air flows, but massive amounts of water don't go through. The last shows the plate you asked about, as you see it is thin material and air can still get around but lots of water can't, if some passes the auto bailer comes in real handy. My bailer has never sunk my boat nor have I flipped it totally upside down!

i thought id share these, everyone has diff ideas and these all are great.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:38 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

just a random thought...could you use an airplane prop to break in a boat motor on a bench?? just to put some load on the motor...
Old 04-15-2005, 04:27 PM
ritzheli

Excellent idea if you don't mind removing flywheel and or drive cog. After that you might have to mount some type of thrust/driving plate for the propeller to be sandwiched in-between. Use some type of electric starter as props of this size will hurt if not leave a bad slice on hand,etc.[] Otherwise take your time breaking in the engine, the money spent on fuel is worth it. You will notice after 3-5 tanks of fuel the engine starts easier and responds to throttle changes better also. Leave low speed idle a little fast as well as rich, this will make starting easy as well as being dependable when that all important first launch and the hull hits the water. I just place my boat in the water and let the boat prop feel the water, if it does'nt stop let her go and if high speed is adjusted right, you should be able to throttle up into your boating area.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:03 AM
dbm0011

Well Here it is. Burned up the 2nd engine...too too lean. I will upload some pics. Piston got brittle and fell apart. New sleeve,piston and conn rod. went to the lake. Ran 20% Blue thunder racing fuel.(what i had available at the time.) Ran 5 tanks with complete cool down in between. The boat ran bueatifully for the first second it hit the water. idlearound goosing to 1/4 - 1/2 throttle 1st tank, and gradually increased throttle on each tank there after. Tank 6 - Wide open 10 minutes - Like a scalded Dog! 15-18' rooster tail, nice strong whine - factory needle settings. 2 1/2 high speed needle, 7 low speed needle. She really moves on the back stretch.

Yesterday at the small lake. ran 33% odonnell. a little greasy if you ask me. I also added some grape smell to the fuel just for fun. Smokin fast. too fast for a 3 acre lake. flipped it 2 times and cartwheel once. completely sunk. I have no floatation in the sponsons. Fixing that today.
Waiting on the parts to fix the other engine.

Happy boating
Old 04-18-2005, 09:32 AM
ritzheli

Well,well,well, Do we have a happy as well as educated boater here?[8D] I think someone is having way too much fun. I'm glad you're learning about the limitations of Miss Bud, your experience will pay off in future trips as you will know what water conditions are best and those important carb adjustments, yes they do change a little depending on the type of temp. and humidity. I haven't really used any HOT fuel, as I just like reliable runs, that always gives you that nervous rush!!!! The best water is when it looks like a mirror, thats when the fun begins! Happy Boating