Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

ops 67 marine in aircraft

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

ops 67 marine in aircraft

Old 04-19-2005, 05:50 AM
danielet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ops 67 marine in aircraft

Hi to everyone.
I am from Spain. I have a SF jaguar aircraft. I am using an OPS 60 (weigths 580g) with this plain. I calculated this engine has aprox 2hp. It's moving a 11x7 at 14300 RPM (in ground) with a tuned exhaust. Aprox. the aircraft reaches 160km/h, but I want more speed.
I am wondering if it would be possible to install an OPS 67 marine engine, which has 4 hp (aprox) and can spin 22000RPM. So I suppose it could move the 11X7 aprox. at 16000-17000 RPM making my aircraft to reach the 200km/h aprox.
I need help and suggestions with this project...

If it wouldn't be possible to use this engine, which engine could I use. I think that OS 91fx has 2,8 hp, but it is a little bit expensive. How about GWS75 (which has 2,5hp) or Supertigre 90??

Thanks sorry for my english.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:36 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ops 67 marine in aircraft

Danielet, to use a marine engine in an airplane you will have to research the availability of the correct crankshaft and a conventional air cooled cylinder head. I suspect that the crankshaft may be shorter on a marine engine - maybe not. At least you will need the prop drive washer system that will replace the marine flywheel. Why not look at airplane type engines? Nelson make a good quality, high power engine as well as Rossi. Would a ducted fan engine meet your needs better? At least you won't have to replace the head and mess with a prop drive system.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:29 PM
eas___1990

what you would prolly need to cool it is an engine fuel pump that connects to the crankshaft in back and could pump water through the cooling head
Old 04-20-2005, 04:46 AM
danielet

Yes I think a perry pump would be enough. I think that connecting this pump to a little water tank in front of the propeller would be enough to cool the system.
About the crackshaft problem, I think I could insert the propeller in front the marine wheel.
If not possibele ,my OPS 60 air has the same carters and similar crackshaft so I think it could fit it if the 67 marine one if it is too short (but with a little of luck I dont think it will be necessary).
I still dont have tha OPS 67, but they are selling me an OPS 67 + an EXTRA 300 1,70m airspan with a webra 91 installed all for 200€ so I think I will get it and try the experiment of the OPS 67 aircraft.
The question is ... will the perry pump be enought to pump the water... and how many water would be enough for the system to work (tank size)..
There is another problem I need to ask... (do marine engines work upside down) because I want the aircraft to make as well all kins of aerobatics :-) ....

Old 04-20-2005, 05:50 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Something I haven't seen mentioned is that marine engines usually do not idle as well as airplane engines. The marine engines tend to be setup for running in the upper mid range to wide open. This kind of running doesn't work well for most aerobatics. I think it would be better for you to sell the OPS to someone else and use the money to buy an aero engine.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Piper, the last thing he will have to worry about is idle and aerobatics. With a flywheel and a tank full of water on board, the airplane will have enough trouble just getting off the ground. A radiator will also be necessary to cool the water, otherwise the water will get to hot to be of any benefit and the engine will overheat within a few minutes.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:52 PM
danielet

Maybe you are right.. I think I'm gonna abandon the project. Many things to be done and many problems to be solved :-( Is just I thought this great engine with its 4hp and its RPM would make my jet get extreme high speed but... I thinks its better go for an aircraft engine with great power. I know I won't find any with such power but... there are also nice engines to look at :-)

Thanks for your help