Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

hydro cowling or hatch covers

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

hydro cowling or hatch covers

Old 04-29-2005, 07:07 PM
thunderboat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydro cowling or hatch covers

Is there someone selling scaled hydro cowlings or molds? I would prefer to purchase them for 1/16, 1/12 or 1/8 scale shovel or pickle fork design hydroplanes.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: hydro cowling or hatch covers

I have a source for 1/8th cowlings and tail feathers and contacts that can possibly get 1/10th, depending on the boat. Give me an idea of what you're are looking at and I'll go from there, if you want.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:25 AM
thunderboat

Yes, I am looking for a cowl source for shovel nose 40" hydro open cockput for a Thriftway Two.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:27 PM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

i saw some on towerhobbies for some boats?
Old 05-08-2005, 08:11 AM
thunderboat

Yes, I saw that too. I have contacted some other sources and no replies as yet. I do not know if Dumas has any extra cowling's hanging around. I may have to make my own molds and fiberglass some to fit the hull exactly. I have made my own out of balsa that fits a 1/16 hydro. It has elaborate vents and the exhaust is similar to the Miss Bud except smaller. I used a Pepsi bottle and cut it up for a flared cone shape. Then I fiberglassed the whole thing. I might make a mold from it because the balsa one is heavier than I would like even though I carved out the inners quite a bit.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:57 PM
peanut-45

i no a guy that makes all kind of cowls and and wings for 1/8 boats if any one want it just let me no ok. iam new to boating and trying to learn how to build them thats how i found that guy . iam building a 1/8 cicurs cicurs just about have it done but got to quit for a while because of back sugrey.iam also building a 68 inch hydro i thnik its about 30 inch wide i hope to get them both done soon.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Thunderboat, you have mail
Old 05-09-2005, 09:20 PM
peanut-45

hi iam looking for mail but i cant find it i just join today to this site so it will take me a little time to find it sorry lol
Old 05-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

Which mail are you referring too? Are you talking about sending mail, receiving mail, or something else?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:16 AM
thunderboat

Hydro Junkie,

Tell me more about the descriptions of the cowling's, and some e-mails if you can.

I have picked up my hydro hobby from when I was a kid and at that time built a few boats and like you I am relearning again. There is so much more materials available now it is real exciting. I have about 1200 board feet of maple and tools to mill the wood very thin, like less than 1/64. I like the feel of fiberglass over wood. It gives a nice solid lightweight touch to the hull. I know I am going to probably be building some molds of my design for cowling's. That is where I believe the style comes into play which makes a nice looking boat.

Thanks,
Old 05-10-2005, 10:30 AM
thunderboat

Peanut-45,

I sent a reply to Hydro Junkie instead of you . Hope your feeling better. [][] I am interested in the large boat you are building or some one you know is building. I have a motor that would fit a boat that size. I would have to change my current activity to start a project like that but would be interested in the plans or molds or info you have on it.[8D]

Here is the message I sent to hydro junkie:

Hydro Junkie,

Tell me more about the descriptions of the cowling's, and some e-mails if you can.

I have picked up my hydro hobby from when I was a kid and at that time built a few boats and like you I am relearning again. There is so much more materials available now it is real exciting. I have about 1200 board feet of maple and tools to mill the wood very thin, like less than 1/64. I like the feel of fiberglass over wood. It gives a nice solid lightweight touch to the hull. I know I am going to probably be building some molds of my design for cowling's. That is where I believe the style comes into play which makes a nice looking boat.

Thanks,
Old 05-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

DON'T USE THE MAPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! It may look good, but it won't hold up in a hydro hull. It would, however, work well as a veneer laminated to the outside of a hull.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:33 AM
thunderboat

Why wouldn't maple hold up? Have you had bad experiences or known exp. of others?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Hydro Junkie

I tried to use maple to make a boat years ago, only to find it didnt flex well enough to work. When I tried to bend it, it just cracked in two
Old 05-11-2005, 11:25 PM
thunderboat

Hydro Junkie, when I start cutting my maple to my patterns, the thicknesses will vary depending upon the application. Like, the bulkheads would be thiner than the usual 1/8 plywood and probably a little thicker for the stringers. Your right on about bending. Depending upon the maple moisture content, if it has been dried out too much it will be brittle. My maple has been cured by me over the last three years. I had two trees in the backyard that were taken out. I used a chainsaw lumber maker to slab the trees into 1 and 2 inch 10 ft lumber. It has gone through some of my testing and it bends to most of the curves I need. A few pieces did break. For the decking I will be using some real thin cuts and butt glued to improve the bending capability. I have tested this application also, it works for me. I want to keep the weight down because all of my boats are fiberglassed over wood. I am using three layers of glass on the bottom hulls. On the deck I have been using just one layer. It seems to work fine. The glass I am using is 3/4 oz. All joints internally have been doubled glued using Gorilla foaming glue. This helps dampen vibration. Before I put the deck on, all compartments are foamed for flotation which also helps to dampen the vibration. It seems to me it doesn't make much difference what size of engine one runs, vibration is relative and does present problems down the road if not addressed.

I do have information now on a lot of cowling's. 1/16, 1/8 and tunnels. Prices range from $10.00 all the way up to $99.00.

Thanks for your help. It has helped me a lot.