Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Should I buy

Old 05-02-2005, 09:29 PM
scolba
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy

Hi guys,

Just need some of your thoughts here. I have the chance to buy a Traxxas Nitro Vee and a ABC Hobby Laserline tunnel hull, both really in pretty good shape. The Traxxas has the radio with it, but the Tunnel hull doesn't. The guy wants $200 for the pair.

the only info i can find on the tunnel is this:
http://www.rcboatmodeler.com/RB/reviews/laserline.asp

and everybody knows about the Nitro Vee.

So what do you guys think? I'm relatively new to rc boats, and am an infant with Nitro, but am looking to get deep into both. Think this would be a good start???? Anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks!!!! [8D]

Scott
Old 05-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Should I buy

The Laserline boat is pretty bad. Sorry, just being honest. It has a top speed of 17 MPH and lotza luck finding parts if and when you'd need them. The Traxxas is better out of the two. Any other choices or is that it?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:29 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: scolba
So what do you guys think? I'm relatively new to rc boats, and am an infant with Nitro, but am looking to get deep into both.
If you want to go deep, try subs! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Your question would be easier for people to answer if you clarify what you mean. Do you just want a bunch of boats to play with, or are you looking to race? These are two very different directions, with very different price tag$.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:01 AM
scolba

ahh, man! I typed out a whole big response, but the server timed out or something, and it lost it!! DOH!! [:@]

I would be using these boats for a few things. There aren't enough RC Boat enthusiasts around here to even think about racing, so it would be for me just to play with in. But I am also an upgrade fanatic. Any vehicle I have ever had (Real or RC) gets beefed up somehow (faster, stronger, etc). So these would deffinately not be left alone....

it seems like with the belt driven outdrive on the tunnel hull, it would be fairly easy to put a new engine on it...ya know?

So really, they would be for me to play with, make faster, and to tinker on....cause i get antsy if I'm not doing something with my hands. Don't turn that one around on me, there Chuck. LOL....it would be too easy. But you know what i mean, right?

So though the tunnel hull is a pootch, and as I have seen on this forum, the Traxxas has its fair share of problems, do you guys think $200 is a good price to buy them for something to do/play with???
Old 05-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Ron Olson

If you can give us a price range that you'd like to stay in that helps a lot in narrowing down the choices of a better boat for you. Figure in the extra expenses while you're at it as a lot of people don't think of the incidentals that they'll need, fuel, extra glow plugs, etc. for their new purchase.
On the Traxxas Nitro-Vee it has the features of the onboard starting system and the RTS but these items weigh the boat down. I'm personally not a fan of any boat that has a steerable outdrive as they can do some funky things in the corners.
For a low cost and later upgradable boat for the new boater I've recommended the Aqua Jet and the Nitro Hammer before.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:37 AM
piper_chuck

I hate it when I type a big response and then it's gone. Usually I can recover it by using the browser back button, making sure the cursor is in the text window, doing a select all (ctrl-a) and then go back to the thread, do a reply and past it in the text window.

Are you sure there are no other boaters in your area? I went to the IMPBA site www.impba.net and found several clubs within 2 hours of Normal. Perhaps some of their members are actually closer than you think. It might be worth a few emails or phone calls. I've always had much more fun with boats when there were a few other people to race against. And finding a club would also be a great source of learning.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Ron Olson

The $200.00 tag isn't that bad for some boats to get your feet wet with (yeah, there's a pun in there!). If you want to move up in the boating world, if you have aspirations of racing in the future you're in one of the best parts of the country to get experience. You might have a travel to the Chicago area but you'll find some of the best people/racers around. www.impba4.com covers your area.
I've never been near Normal, or the city either!
Old 05-03-2005, 11:24 AM
scolba

well then, I'll have to look into those clubs!! Mendota isn't too far from here...I actually used to mud race there.

So then, what I'm getting is, for the price, they wouldn't be tooooooo bad for entry level, but they should be used for experience only. If i end up getting into racing, then i should later get different boats? Is that a pretty fair summary?

oh, btw....though i live here, i have never really been near it either!!!!
Old 05-03-2005, 11:54 AM
piper_chuck

I don't know your financial situation. Perhaps laying down $200 is no big deal for you. If it's not, spend away. If it is, here's my suggestion, take it for what it's worth. Before you spend any money on boats that may prove to be disposable, see what you can find out about the clubs. The value of contacting a club before buying anything is it's likely you can direct the $200 toward something that will let you participate in the club races. If they prove interesting to you, it's very likely you can pickup something second hand from one of the club members, RCU marketplace, or that other auction site (e-bay). I see 3.5cc tunnel hulls in the $200 price range pretty often. Personally, I think they're great fun, and will give you plenty of opportunity for tinkering. That low an investment isn't going to get you anything that's going to win races, but there's alot to be said for having something to learn the ropes with rather than just a toy that's only good for running at the local mud puddle. That's my biased suggestion, do with it what you please.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:32 PM
scolba

cool. Thanks a lot for your input man!! now to invesigate the club scene!!!
Old 05-03-2005, 02:53 PM
piper_chuck

cool. Thanks a lot for your input man!! now to invesigate the club scene!!!
Clubbing is usually a good solution when you're looking for something to do with your hands.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:15 PM
scolba

LOL....you just couldn't leave it alone, could ya???

while i got ya looking....what I REALLY want is a catamaran. I have wanted one of these for quite some time, not to race, but for playing around (at high speeds, though!!!). Any good suggestions of ones that i could build up?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:18 PM
scolba

The Aeromarine Mean Machine, maybe??? that looks like its going to be a good boat!
Old 05-03-2005, 11:13 PM
Ron Olson

I love the Mean Machine 18! If I was shopping for a boat that was RTR, I wouldn't hesitate to order one! I can't talk well enough about what I've seen of it so far. I've only seen the pre-production ones but WOW, are they nice!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:05 AM
scolba

what about just the hull by itself, thats already out? I would probalby prefer to build one up, as opposed to a RTR....Is the hull thats available now the same hull as going to be used in the RTR version??
Old 05-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Ron Olson

Good question. I talked to Remy at the Toledo show and the production boats are being built out of the country but he has one mold that he kept at his shop. There may be some slight changes in the production version, I've heard of changes to the cowling.
That is the one that Chris is selling for those who want to run electrics or do their own nitro build-up. I know of one that has a nitro conversion in it, using an O.S. .21 . I'm waiting to see somebody putting a .45 in there.
While you're shopping for it, I'd go with their hardware kit also, it's a very good buy for the price.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:56 AM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Good question. I talked to Remy at the Toledo show and the production boats are being built out of the country but he has one mold that he kept at his shop. There may be some slight changes in the production version, I've heard of changes to the cowling.
That is the one that Chris is selling for those who want to run electrics or do their own nitro build-up. I know of one that has a nitro conversion in it, using an O.S. .21 . I'm waiting to see somebody putting a .45 in there.
While you're shopping for it, I'd go with their hardware kit also, it's a very good buy for the price.
Hmmm, I've been thinking of moving the OPS .45 out of the hull it's in and upgrading to a larger engine. Perhaps I've found a home for the .45.

Oh, one more thing. Remy, Chris? For those of us who are not on a first name basis with the people behind the scenes, can you provide company names? I'm guessing Remy is with Aeromarine. Chris is from?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:37 PM
scolba

yeah, i'm wondering who chris is, too...my best guess would be from Fine Design RC....since they are selling the hull for electric use....

How would an OS .61 do in there? A little overkill??
Old 05-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Ron Olson

Remy is Remy Haynes Jr., the guy that pretty much runs Aeromarine. Chris is Chris Fine of Fine Design. Sorry, I get used to using their first names as I've met both of these people. Chris will talk to you like he's known you forever even though you've just met. Remy is a good guy too.
http://www.finedesignrc.com
http://aeromarinerc.com/
Yeah, a .61 would be overdoing it, a .45 is pretty much the limit for that hull.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:32 PM
scolba

excelent....i'll plan on a .45 then!! lol

i don't suppose you could give a prop recomendation for that hull/motor combo, could you??

could a person just call up Fine Design and ask some questions about this stuff, or should one, ok, should I e-mail them??

edit:
quick question....deffinately confirming my newbieness....but does 3.5 = .21 and 7.5 = .45??? or are all 4 of those different?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:48 PM
piper_chuck

Thanks Ron, it helps to be able to cross reference the names to the companies.

So, this hull could support a .45? I sense a plan forming. Now I just have to decide between running a cat or a hydro such as the Dumas Eagle. I've always liked wood better than fiberglass, but building time has been limited lately. The mean machine hull with the OPS sounds interesting. Decisions, decisions...
Old 05-04-2005, 01:50 PM
piper_chuck

does 3.5 = .21 and 7.5 = .45???
Yes, you have the numbers right.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:57 PM
piper_chuck

excelent....i'll plan on a .45 then!! lol
Bear in mind that when your engine is at the upper limits of the hull it's going to be challenging to setup and run. The boat will be heavier, and the extra engine power is going to introduce some handling challenges at the higher speeds. I'm sure Ron could provide more on this subject. Anyway, this kind of challenge ought to be better than getting in trouble at some "club".
Old 05-04-2005, 02:11 PM
scolba

hmmmm.........so maybe as a beginner, i should stick with a smaller motor? I could always upgrade later, i suppose......probably smart.....

I remeber a place in wisconsin that me an a buddy go snowmobiling all the time. they have 6 *ahem* clubs all in a row....yeah, we deffinately spent some money up there. Luckily there was no trouble, but there could have been easily!!!!! lol
Old 05-04-2005, 05:19 PM
piper_chuck

I think the average size motor would be a better choice for a starter boat. If you go with the maximum motor, you'll have so much power you won't be worried about trimming the boat to get the most out of it. A smaller motor would encourage you to learn how to fine tune the trim.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.