Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Looking for .21 Nitro Engine and tuned pipe...any suggestions

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Looking for .21 Nitro Engine and tuned pipe...any suggestions

Old 05-08-2005, 04:23 AM
dbm0011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for .21 Nitro Engine and tuned pipe...any suggestions

Hello all,
I am looking for a .21w/tuned pipe. Does anyone have any suggestions. I am putting this in a 1/12 Miss Lumar hull. I have seen the names but not really sure what I am looking at or for. Ron,John, Mcleod,,,, and any one else whom I have missed, Make some suggestions as to what engine and pipe manu. and whom to get it from. Any past exeriences and dealings with something like this is greatly appreciated.
Don.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Looking for .21 Nitro Engine and tuned pipe...any suggestions

Seeing how you HAD to put my name on the list, I guess that I have to put in my 2 cents. If the stock motor isn't quite doing the job for you and you want to up the HP and RPM, I'd look at some of the hotter car and truck motors in the .15-.18 range. Of course, look for the ones with rotary carbs and the correctly threaded shaft. An air-cooled heat-sink head is OK as long as the air scoop is opened up for more flow. This route would be cheaper and much easier to do as it would be pretty much a bolt-in. Placing a .21 in there requires a LOT more work as the driveline would also need a bunch of work, new motor mounts plus a larger fuel tank shoe-horned in there.
I've felt that there are a few other mods to the boat that can add a little more power that I'd like to try out on a buddies Miss Bud. I picked up a Miss Bud header from eBay for 1 cent (plus shipping) that I can work on and add a Mac tuned pipe. My feeling is that the header and pipe length is too long on the stock setup.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My uneducated opinion but based on what I've seen of the plastic RTR boats, stick with what Ron has suggested. You will probably overpower the boat with a good 21. That means a lot of handling problems (blow overs) in addition to the installation issues that Ron mentioned. Unless you are up on how to keep a hydro on the water, keep the power down.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:52 AM
dbm0011

Thankyou for your comments Ron and John.
I forgot to mention that the only thing that I have so far is the hull. I have ordered running hardware and turn fin from Fullers Fast Electrics. I am waiting on ordering the motor mounts until I know what engine and pipe that I will be using. I ahave been looking at the OPS .21? from Aeromarine. I guess I should have bought the RTR Version and just swapped out the engine. But, seeing as I am learning the hard way once again, It will be piece by piece.
OR, I sell the hull, and look to get a bit larger scale boat. Anyone intrested in a New Miss Lumar hull and cowling? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 05-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Macleod

Oh I'm too late for my 2 cents australian comment, seeing my name was used also. But I'll now crawl back under my nice warm rock, in the wonderful sunny day with cooling breeze blowing over the tranqil sea off the coast of western australia...

Thats why I stick with my fibreglass offshore racer mould and Wooden Boats.......

Is the Miss Lumar hull going free to GOOD home????[X(]

And as usual you are all offline......The joys of living DOWN UNDER, feel free to visit anytime.....[sm=bananahead.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 05-10-2005, 07:56 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Don, here's a choice in the size range Ron recommended, K&B .18. They've got aero, car, and marine versions available. The marine one comes with a pull starter and flywheel. I asked about pipes in the K&B forum (at mecoa) and they said that most car pipes will fit it. I have no experience with this particular engine, but I'm considering it for a small hydro I'm thinking of building. Over the years I've had several K&B engines, and I've always been happy with them. Two of my current planes have K&Bs, I'm covering another that will also have a K&B, and I've (re)started working on a tunnel hull that will get a K&B 3.5 outboard. The .18 marine seems like a good engine for $90. Here's a link: http://www.mecoa.com/kb/marine/marine_inboard.htm
Old 02-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Speedemon0287

I recently found a new engine on the OS engines website that is the only marine nitro engine ever built that uses a turbocharger. And guess what size it is? A .21 of coarse. It might just work on your boat. That is if its not way too big to fit in the hull because of the turbo.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Ron Olson

Chuck, the K&B .18 is what Warehouse Hobbies is selling with the Mini-Manta Ray. It may be a good sport engine but I don't feel is too good of a replacement for the Dynamite.
I gotta go check out that blown .21 from OS.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:56 AM
pinky_d_brain

Just my 2 cents but I would go with a marine motor for sure being that the hull is not set up for anything yet. You also may want to watch where your heeder for your pipe is coming out of the motor, making sure that the header and all that stuff will fit into the hull where you want it to sit. I would go with one that comes out the front or back if there is one don’t no, prefer back keeps things a little more centred but I don’t no that much about all this stuff yet someone ells with more exp will no more or correct me on it.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:17 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson
I gotta go check out that blown .21 from OS.
I suspect the word "turbo" (.21 VZ-M Turbo) was morphed into turbocharger.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:21 PM
Ron Olson

That's not a turbocharger, it refers to the type of glow plug in the head. There are are companies now using the word "turbo" as the swirl effect from the crankshaft to anywhere else that they can use that word because it sounds cool.
There is a car engine that I don't know if it's out on the market yet or not that is trying to pull the wool over prospective customer's eyes by using a lot of fancy terminology for things that you already have in your typical engine. Using phrases like "Patent Pending" is supposed to add to the WOW factor. That doesn't mean a thing if the stuff has already been patented.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Ron Olson

I just went into the OS website. What OS has done is nothing new, only to them. The use of a cone-lock or turbo plug is nothing new, my Rossi uses them. Neither is the water-cooled glow plug, another thing that has been around for ages just with a slightly different way of doing it.
Too many companies are trying to re-invent the wheel by calling it something other than a wheel.