Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Question about throttle vaulves

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Question about throttle vaulves

Old 05-09-2005, 10:45 AM
GreenSnake2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about throttle vaulves

Hello people,as i am new to this, i was wondering if someone out there could tell me the difference beteween a sliding exhaust throttle vaulveand a regular throttle vaulve ann which one is better thanks much
Old 05-12-2005, 06:32 AM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Question about throttle vaulves

Are you inquiring the difference between a Exhaust throttle (ET) and a normal carb setup? They both work depending on what you use. The older K&B outboard ET's stink and I would not use them. ET's used to be a huge setup years ago, but more understanding of carbs and internal motor setups are the norm now. Some people do not like ET's since they tend to be messy, alot of extra fuel is dumped inside the motor compartment. I have used the 707 brass slider and Gardner's XXL ET's with much sucess on my K&B outboards. With a ET, tank pressure will be crank vs pipe.

Hope this helps...
Old 05-12-2005, 03:56 PM
GreenSnake2

Hey there OB nut,Appreciate the info on the exhaust setup. was trying to decide what outboard to use on a 41in boat. guess i will stay away from the ET,s thank you much
Old 05-13-2005, 06:03 AM
GreenSnake2

Hello there OB nut,itsme again. when i emailed you last, ihad already bid on a engine with the etsetup. so now i am stuck with it. is there any way you can change to a regular carb.appreciate all the info you can give. thanks much
Old 05-14-2005, 02:00 PM
ob nut

What motor are you using on the 41" boat? Hope it's at least a 7.5, but a 11 would do better. Let me know what motor you got and assistance will be a keyboard away As the saying goes, a picture is worth a million words.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Mark is one of the few people east of the Mississippi that still runs an exhaust throttle setup and he does it well, his boats scoot!
If you have a barrel style exhaust throttle, they are easier to convert back to a regular carb setup. I slide type wouldn't be difficult to do either. Normally a venturi carbed motor needs a richer setting than a rotary (or slide for that matter) carb does.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:28 PM
GreenSnake2

hey there OB nut its me again. just got the outboard i ordered . was going to put it on the big boat. it is a k&b 3.5 i believe. dont know if it will be big enough for the big boat. may just put it on a smaller boat about 28 in.do you think it is too smallfor the 41in. the outboard is a exhaust throttle, is there any way to change it to a reg carb. thank you
Old 05-21-2005, 05:44 AM
ob nut

A 41" boat is very big for a 3.5cc motor. I run a 13cc on a 47" WOF Solution to give you an example. It will work, guess it all depends on what boat you are using. Are you planning on racing / going fast for fun / crusing the water way's with a scale type boat? I'm running a 3.5cc SS motor on a Dumas Hot Shot Spring, which is 24" long. My MAC motor will be on a 29" WOF tunnel.

You should be able to switch out the ET's for a carb with no problem. You'll need to track down a carb that will fit the motor and an exhaust adapter to replace the venturi and ET.

Can you get a picture of the motor on here? If not, how long is the skeg? Is it short (1" or less) or longer (2 1/2" +/-)... I'm inclined to think that you have a early 8906 with the short skeg.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:17 AM
GreenSnake2

hello again mark, thanks for the feedback. as i said before i am dumb and new to this stuff.you asked if it is under an inch from the skeg down would that be where the prop shaft goes back into the foot, if so it is less than an inch. i can give you the # on the engine if it will help you any. the reason i,m putting something different on the big boat is when i bought it on ebay it had a little electric motor in it which wouldn,t plain off. just want something to run the boat a little just for fun . the # on the engine is o 11056 thanks much
Old 05-24-2005, 08:51 PM
ob nut

Is that the motor you have? If yes, then I'd pack it away. It's a part of history.. Years to come, it might send $$ your grandkids to school one day Doubt very much that motor would get a 41" boat on plane either. You would best get a 7.5 or even a 11cc motor for that boat.

Mark.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Mark, is that yours? I've got one of those lower units in my basement that I got about 5-6 years or more ago. It's just the case halves but if you want it, let me know and I'll bring it along Saturday.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:04 AM
ob nut

Nope, not mine. The pic is off of a current fleebay special. Gotta love fleebay - NEW MOTOR, NEVER STARTED. They just don't tell you the motor was built in the 80's or earlier [:@] [>:].

And don't bother bringing it to the Fun Run. I don't need any extra weight! It wouldn't be used, it would only end up in the trash.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:56 PM
GreenSnake2

Hello again there mark, appreciate all the info you have given me onthis motor. it is the same identical motor as the one i have.it is something when you dont know what you are buying , youcan end up with apiece of crap like i have. so iguess there is nothing i can do but say i got had again. guess i w
will junk this one and get another one. thank much
Old 05-30-2005, 07:41 AM
ob nut

If the motor you have is in good shape, I'd keep it. Every now and then, put some ATF in the motor and spin over by hand. Could be worth something some day.. Either that or put it back on ebay for sale. If you learned something from the purchase than it's not a total loss. I've purchase items off ebay that I've regretted when it arrived. Some sellers just don't put the total facts on their ads [:@]
Old 05-30-2005, 11:20 PM
QuickMick

The early K&B OB's prop shaft assembly didnt even screw in, and when it goes the replacements are hard to find.

Go with what OB Nut says and sell it or pack it away.

I have one of the mid 80s new version on a old Dumas Hot Shot. I built it back in 84 and put hours on that boat and motor. Last 8-10 years it collects dust on the display shelf. Not too fast but I could take it to the lake tomorrow and I bet it would run all day long.

Mick