Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Miss Bud 1/12 engine trouble

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Miss Bud 1/12 engine trouble

Old 05-13-2005, 07:31 PM
electricstorm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss Bud 1/12 engine trouble

ok, I just got ready to start my miss bud but I have a problem.[sm=drowning.gif] ofter trying very hard to get the engine to start, it will not. the glow plug works, and I have tried 2. the charger has a new battery and I am using 20% break in fuel. it gets hydrolocked often, and occasionaly when the glow plug is not even in the engine, the pull start gets stuck as if it was hydro locked!!![X(] what do I do PLEASE HELP[]
Old 05-14-2005, 11:04 AM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Miss Bud 1/12 engine trouble

try to heat the motor up and crack the plug open to start it then tighten it back up.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:13 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Hello,

If your motor is filling up with fuel then that tells me you are putting too much into it for it to burn efficently. Check your needle settings and go back to what Proboat recommends. Also, I have owned several of these little boats and I found a common problem was too much water intake. This comes mainly from the "turbine" exhaust outlet. Simply stuff a shop towel around the exhaust and it will stop 98% of the water from coming into the boat. One other thing that bears mentioning. If your motor has ingested any water you could have bent the connecting rod. That would be the source of why your motor seems to freeze. Remember, water is non-compressable. If you suspect that may be the problem take the motor out of the boat and take it apart. Try to visually see where it may be hanging up. With the low cost of these motors it may be just as cheap to replace the motor if in fact you find anything bent. I also know that if these engines sit for any length of time they can get very stiff. If you lube up the piston/cylinder liner with some WD-40 or similar you may break it free. Just take your time and be careful with what you do. The idea is to fix the problem, not create new ones.

Hope this helps,
Pete
Old 05-14-2005, 06:09 PM
electricstorm

ORIGINAL: zzman

try to heat the motor up and crack the plug open to start it then tighten it back up.
when ever I crack open the plug fuel comes out around it.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:48 PM
ejp67
My Feedback: (5)

Well, that sounds way rich, check to make sure you are at the factory break-in settings and you didn't open the needle too far.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:30 PM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

DEF-FLOODED you have it wayyyyy to rich for sure...
Old 05-15-2005, 10:08 AM
electricstorm

ok, I'll turn it down, but I made sure it was on the factory settings. is it being too rich the reason for the stuck pull start too.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:29 AM
electricstorm

ok, I solved the flooding problem by making it leaner, but it still wont start.[:@]! What in the world am I doing wrong?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 05-15-2005, 12:00 PM
ejp67
My Feedback: (5)

Do you have the glow starter on??? Is the battery good?? Leave the plug loose a little too. When you pull it over and it sputters let is sit for about 30 sec. after that so the glow plug burns off and glows red again. Just keep trying and don't give up.[8D] You'll love it once it runs.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:20 PM
everysilver
My Feedback: (11)

I had the same problems. The locking up is because your low is too rich. My engine was still doing it at the factory settings so you may have to go leaner, but be careful not to over-lean it. And remember that this engine is small so the smallest change in settings is really a big one to the engine. Turn no more than 1/16 at a time. It took me a whole weekend to get mine working, and is starting to pay off. A good way to keep the engine from hydro locking on you is to pinch off the fuel line, loosen the glowplug to get the extra fuel out, then and start it. When she fires up undo whatever it is (hemos) you have on your fuel line and let the engine run a little. The more it runs the less likely they are to hydro-lock. Good luck
Old 05-22-2005, 11:49 AM
electricstorm

ok, first, the engine sounds the same with a working glow plug and fuel than it does with out. it dosn't even try to start[:@]. second, how do I get to the low speed needle, the exaust pipe is in the way. I'm about to send it in on warrenty and see if it is an engine problem.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:40 PM
boataddict

Electricstorm,

A new nitro engine can be pretty finicky to start at first because of the new cylinder heads and tight piston sleeves.

Try the following:

1.) Check the tank for leaks. Seal one side of the hose and blow into the other. It should not leak at all, not even a little. The cap is usually the culprit and needs to be on very tight.
2.) Don’t mess with the low speed screw.
3.) Take the plug out and put some after-run oil in the engine, put a cloth over the glow plug hole so the oil won’t spray you in the face and work it in by pulling on the started a few times. Put the plug back in. This will make starting easier.
4.) Set the high speed screw to 3 – 3 ½ turns out (counter clockwise), this will vary based on your location and weather conditons . Remember a turn is a complete 360 degree revolution. I suggest you turn it all the way in (clockwise) until it stops ( don’t over tighten) and then slowly turn it back out, counting the revolutions, Mark the tip of one side of the screwdriver with a marker so you know where you are in the turns.
5.) Look at the Carb opening. The Carb NEEDS TO be open or the engine will not start. Before starting tune the throttle adjust knob on the radio until the carb opens about 1/4 of the way.
6.) Check the glow plug, make sure its good. With the plug out of the motor put it on the glow starter and look at the coils (be careful not to burn yourself), they should all get red (amber) hot and should be even without any distortion in the coils all the way around.
7.) Put the plug back in the motor but don’t tighten it all the way. Place the glow starter on the plug in the motor and do very repetitive but short pulls. It will take a few pulls to get the fuel to the motor if there in none in the line at the time. A quick way to get fuel to the line before you apply the glow starter is to cover the carb with your finger and pull on the starter a few times until you see the fuel moving all the way up to the motor, now apply the glow starter and pull again.
8.) Follow the break in procedure listed in the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Proboat_Miss_Budweiser_1%2F12_%E2%80%93_Awesome%21/m_2799689/tm.htm]Miss Bud 1/12 post[/link].

Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:49 PM
electricstorm

man, I feel like I have broken in the engine just by pulling on the starter. I did everything you said a little after I read the post, and it still dosn't work. it dosn't even sound like it is trying to start. the only noise I hear is from pulling on the starter.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:29 PM
boataddict

What kind of fuel are you using? How old is the fuel?

Old 05-23-2005, 03:38 AM
dbm0011

I hope that you are not using the so called factory settings that comes with the Dynamite Engine and the owners manual. I was told by Horizon that both of the documents are wrong. Call them from yourself to get the correct needle settings. I had the same problems. HH had me set the high speed needle to 2 1/2 turns out and the low speed to 7 turns out. I have yet to lean out the engine and it screams, runs like a beast, Give you the "Holy crap" feeling, runs like a scalded dog.... Needless to say work with your engine a little at a time... it will pay off.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:19 AM
electricstorm

ORIGINAL: boataddict

What kind of fuel are you using? How old is the fuel?

I am using trinity 20% break in fuel and it has been a week and a half since I got it.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:48 AM
mrstormy

I'm with you Electric, having a heck of a time getting it going. Do have it running now??

Well, back to the garage to work it some more with the suggestions in this thread. How long can it run out of the water before I need to start worrying about overheating?

I actually got it to run but if bogs down when I put it in my wheelbarrow full of water.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:11 AM
mrstormy

OK, I'm running. I went with the suggestions to only back out 2.5 turns on high idle and didn't touch the low end. 400 hard pulls with glow tight and 3.5 turns out on high end did squat. Loosened glow 1.5 turns and she wanted to start. Once tightened she starts regularly now. Maybe when cold I'll need to loosen again.

Got two tanks through it on the water and haven't opened her up full yet. I'm a newbie and to me she goes like heck at 2/3 throttle.

fun..
Old 05-28-2005, 05:40 PM
boataddict

Good to hear you got her started. The engine will overheat very quickly, especially if it’s running on the lean side. You need to keep the engine head cool while tuning the engine. I made a water feed rig that allowed me to do part of my break in on the bench and keep the heads cool while I tweak the screws. I have instructions on how to make it in the Miss Bud post I wrote a while back, the info is about 3/4 of the way down on the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Proboat_Miss_Budweiser_1%2F12_%E2%80%93_Awesome%21/m_2799689/tm.htm]Miss Bud Post[/link]

To prolong the life of the engine, initially you want to break her in on the rich side then lean her out after a few tanks. 3 1/2 turns worked fine for me and started on the 3rd or 4th pull the first time, but the needle settings may not necessary be the same for everyone based on location and weather conditions. I now have her running lean at 2 – 2 ½ turns out, dbm0011 said it best, she screams.

Good Luck
Old 05-28-2005, 10:26 PM
mrstormy

Thank BoatAddict, I think I'm running too lean. After about half a tank she dies. Done this three times now. I'm going to take it from 2.5 turns to 3 - 3.5 now and see if she'll run richer now that I have three tanks through her. Maybe it's too late if I've been too lean but I couldn't even get her going initially at 3.5. Is it too late to richen her up for a few more tanks? How will I know when it is rich enough? Since I already have three tanks, it's probably too late for bench cooling hookup. I have a pond right in back of my house where I run her so it's almost like being in the garage except I can't fiddle with the needles. hmmmm.

Also, I'm getting just a bit of water in the radio compartment even though I'm using clear duct tape and I KNOW it's not getting in thought the top. Any thoughts where it's coming from. I have the newer model.

Thanks again,

Rick
Old 05-29-2005, 01:34 AM
boataddict

Not too late, richen her up a bit for the rest of the break in to be on the safe side. To keep the heads cool you can setup a simple gravity feed rig, get a 2 liter bottle and attach a fuel/aquarium line to it and then connect it to the head while you run it on the bench. I snagged this picture from another post of someone with a similar rig on a Nitro Hammer. This method was used in the Aug05 issue of Rcboatmodeler to break in the Shockwave on the bench.

If she dies half tank you may have an air leak or she is too lean. Have you checked the tank/cap for leaks? Also check to see if the plug is still good (the coil should be amber all around). The plugs will get distorted if the engine is too lean and runs too hot.

When running rich, the tuned pipe will be spiting fuel (lay down some newspaper) Only after breaking in about 6 tanks rich at varying throttle speeds did I start leaning her in.

Once my engine was full broken in, I started to lean her in on the bench. I would start her rich, run the engine at full throttle and slowly turn the High Speed Screw in (while she is running at full) until I hear a difference in the pitch of the engine. You will hear the engine scream with a higher pitch (mine screamed at 2 ½). Find the point between Rich and Lean; when the pitch does not go any higher. Set it there.

She will be very close when your nostrils start to burn from the steady stream of smoke.

Grease up the flex shaft often and use after-run oil before and after running.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65939.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	277644  
Old 05-29-2005, 07:40 AM
mrstormy

Thanks for the tips boataddict, appreciate your time. I'll try them out and let you know how it goes.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:17 PM
electricstorm

I'll try what you did today, but if it was working wouldn't it at least try to start? it wont even act like there is any fuel in it. Does the engine have to be on for the water pickup to work? I have a water feet system, but even at a drip, it blows the back tube off and gets water everywhere. I tried to zip tie it and it still came off.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:38 PM
electricstorm

It's still not working!!!![:@][][:@][]. Should I just send it in to horizon? I just recently replaced the fuel and glow plug, adjusted the high speed screw as suggusted and tried different throttle and idle screw levels. HELP!![sm=drowning.gif]
Old 06-12-2005, 10:32 PM
enzothacet

electricstorm...
Take your boat to either a hobby shop or find some guys running boats at a local pond. I can't figure out all these needle valve settings and lean/rich BS either. I don't have the patience even if I had the time. But mostly, I didn't want to ruin my engines by trying to learn. So just find someone locally adn they will be glad to help. Hobbiest are the most friendly and helpfl people around. Besides some of the guys have so much experience that they can do it in about five minutes.