Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

NEED ORIENTATION

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

NEED ORIENTATION

Old 05-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Miguel Santana
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NEED ORIENTATION

Hi to All.
I'm cosidering to buy one of the tunnel hull boat from Prather Product, not sure to go for .21 or .46 engine....?
Sorry to say it but I'm in the rookie stage and need advises in what and what not to use?
I beleave these are out board engines boat......doe sthes boat comes with the special base that include the propeller?? or should I buy and engine like the .21 Xm from OS?
We have a lake in our club and we are considering to start a boat club.....
Is outbaord the best option?
Any other cool brand of boat?
How fast go a .45 size boat? and a .15?
Thanks,
Miguel
Old 05-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: NEED ORIENTATION

First of all, a Prather hull isn't on the top of my list for a tunnel hull, especially for a first boat. They are epoxy-glas which means pinholes that have to be filled, a lot of work there in itself. The design is a good 20 or so years old.
Your best bet is to start with a 3.5cc motor. There are plenty of them around. K&B, O.S. and Thunder Tiger are coming back out plus there is another one debuting soon, the Irwin .21 . The 7.5's are a lot harder to find. A stock .21 will run in the low 40's, a modded one can see upwards of close the high 60's.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:43 AM
ob nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fully agree with Ron.. There are better tunnels out there than the Lap Cats. Great Planes will be coming out with the Top Speed 2 shortly, very nice looking boat. Lynx, Villian (Grimracer), Magnum or any of the WOF designed by Jerry Dunlop (he also helped design the TS2) are top notch boats.

As for any other style of boats, get what you like. There are deep v's, scale, sport 40's and riggers. All depends on what your taste are.

For me, outboards are a blast.. I'm kinda a NUT over OB's
Old 05-17-2005, 08:40 AM
Miguel Santana

Thanks both for you replies...there are not to many in this forum....[&o]

I also noticed there are not to many choice of engines prepare for outboard use, like the attached OS picture, and is a very expensive piece too. I would not relly on K&B....these engines will help everyone becoming the master of glyding with planes....., or at least with the boats are they working FINE...?

The outboard OS .21XM cost US$300.00, and the inboard OS .46VX-M cost $240.00... I see the inboard engines options are almost unlimited...and cost less! or am I missing something? So perhaps considering a boat with inboard engine would be better.

I'm curious to know about these RTR nitro boats around, like the Nitro Hammer, Miss Bud or Miss LLumar, Shockwave? Are they worth it?

Regards,

Miguel

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85430.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	272664  
Old 05-17-2005, 08:59 AM
ob nut

Miguel,

K&B has 3 different .21 OB's ready to be shipped, all under $300 - barely though.. I hear the that the SX model is the one to get for speed..

https://shop.mecoa.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=25

The new OS .21 are nice motors also.

Guess the real question for you is what is the water like that you plan to run on? If there are always waves, you might want to get a deep-v.. If it is calm at times (little or no wind), then any boat would work.

As for the RTR boat crowd, I'll let others answer that for you since I have no direct knowledge / use of those types of boats.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Ron Olson

The Top Speed 2 that Mark mentioned should be available in an Almost-Ready-To-Run version according to Jerry Dunlap.
As far as other RTR or RTF boats for the first-timer, I'd go with the Aquacaraft/Hobbico Nitro Hammer, the CEN Racing/Genko Trading Aqua Jet or the about to be if not out by now Aeromarine Mean Machine 18. I don't advise the Miss Bud ot Llumar for a new boater no matter what they would like you to believe.
The original K&B's were dependable workhorses but with the new ownership it is advised to tear the motor completely down before turning the motor over by hamd as a lot of people do. The early runs of them had reports of machining chips still inside them. The returning OS .21 OB has very few mods from the original but comes with a higher price tag than the previous one, $100.00 more!
The Thunder Tiger .21 OB was an OK motor but had carb problems, hopefully that has been addressed.
I myself want to see the new Irwin OB, and I might get a chance to see one in action on the 28th.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Miguel Santana

We have a lake in our club with calm water and moderate winds, so whatever type of hull will be ok...but knowing my local friends they'll go for the speed , so do I[&:]

As we have interested in starting a boat club, we want to spend our money wisely to avoid two times buying.

By the way, where can I found the rules that regulate this racing?

Is hard to believe that after all these years K&B finally became a reliable engine.....ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THIS? I have a friend that solve his K&B problem using an OS carburetor....I was also checking other brands like Novarossi and Rossi...these engine are ok, but sometime the are not so user friendly...like OS.

After all your inputs I think due the flexibility in engine options to go for a V hull with inboard engine. Are these hull been use in rc racing circuits?

Any comments on the ShockWave 36 RTR w/.32M & Python
( http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=PRB2050 )

Thanks,

Miguel
Old 05-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Ron Olson

I don't know what sanctioning bodies cover the Dominican Republic but you can check out these sites for rules: http//:impba.net or www.namba.com .
The K&B outboards have both been pretty much the standard over the years. I've owned 2 of the 3.5's, the regular one and the SS version. I've also had the 7.5 OB also. I don't know about the "Glider" engines.
If you want a lot of info on the Schockwave 36, I have it pinned to the top of the page in one of the forums.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:47 AM
ob nut

Rules can be found on a few sites: [link=http://www.namba.com]NAMBA[/link] or [link=http://www.impba.net]IMPBA[/link].

Only issue I know of from K&B is availibility since they have a new owner. As Ron stated, they need to be taken apart and make sure they are clean. This goes for any mfg as far as I'm concerned. You're friend's carb could have had foregin material inside that caused the problems. Might not be the case, but I've never heard of a problem with a K&B carb that couldn't be fixed. There is always a first though

If you want fast, then a rigger might be your choice. They are extremly fast, but can be hard to set up if you don't know how. Majority of racers don't jump right in with riggers, they start off with the other types of boats.

Tunnels can be setup to go fast also. But one must put down the $$ to get there. Here's my new motor combo, which I've put down nearly $600 for it and have yet to see it hit water.

Ron will see this motor in action on May 28th at the fun run.

Take a look at these two pages, shots of boats at the 2004 IMPBA Internats.

[link=http://home.earthlink.net/~ob_nut2/id8.html]2004 Internats[/link]
[link=http://home.earthlink.net/~ob_nut2/id9.html]More 2004 Internats[/link]

The Shockwave is a good starter boat, but not one for open competition. Never heard of a RTR w/pull start motor that would be competive in open racing. They would be good for racing against same type boats.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Miguel Santana

Where that motor mount come from? R Manufacturing? Where can I see it? You see....I'm still have plenty to see []...so there is more option for OB boats...[&o]

Another questions....how may feets or meters of distance do you normally have between the buoys in a race?

About the gliding thing with K&B....I heard someone saying that with this engines you'll become the master of gliding....cos once you take off your plane the engine never land running and you have to gly your model back to land....but it seems as per your statements that is in the pass now...

I'll look regulations.

Thanks,

Miguel
Old 05-17-2005, 03:43 PM
ob nut

I picked up the motor mount and the Lawless foot (lower unit - R mfg) from PBR. They can be seen at [link=http://precision-boats.com/]Precision Boats Racing[/link]. They carry Rossi ob motors also..

Believe the normal distance for a course is 300' with a 15' turn radius. This is for IMPBA anyway.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:45 PM
ob nut

The MAC motor can be seen at [link=http://www.cmdracing.com/updated/main.htm]CMDi Racing[/link]... While the motor was still at CMDi, I had the heat racing mods performed to it.. Can't wait to see it run for the first time.....
Old 05-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Miguel Santana

The "foot" can be use with different brands of engines?
Which are the engine brand you guys are using? name them in order....
Thanks,
Miguel
Old 05-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Ron Olson

The lower unit is set up for the venerable K&B so most manufacturers that do conversions on other motors like the Rossi, Nova Rossi, MAC amd others make their PTO backplate to fit the same bolt pattern.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:40 AM
ob nut

Besides what Ron mentioned, the CMB will directly fit on a Lawless foot (lower unit). The OS & Thunder Tiger will not. However, if you do want to mount an OS or a TT on a Lawless, you'll have to contact Fred directly and inquire with him if he would make a one off mount for it.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Miguel Santana

Guys,
You had been more that helpfull with your kind assistance, thanks.-
I willl give a try first with a low budget boat before spending some real money.
The Schockwave 36 could be a good stating point to see what happend next.....besides, do you think this boat can be upgrated later to a 0.46 size engine?
Regards,
Miguel
Old 05-18-2005, 04:21 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Miguel Santana
About the gliding thing with K&B....I heard someone saying that with this engines you'll become the master of gliding....cos once you take off your plane the engine never land running and you have to gly your model back to land....but it seems as per your statements that is in the pass now...
Interesting rumour. I've had K&B boat and airplane engines for years. I've always been happy with them.