Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Auto Starter???

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Auto Starter???

Old 05-16-2005, 01:05 PM
MattDaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Starter???

Has anyone figured out a way to get an auto starter or Return To Shore-type device on their shockwave? Was thinking about modifying a Traxxas EZ Starter system and/or RTS system on a third channel - so that if it stalls in the middle of the lake I can restart or at least get it back. Happened this weekend on a wide river with a current - had a scare in getting it back.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:53 PM
eas___1990

Default RE: Auto Starter???

How big is your boat?woops i mean how much space do you have
Old 05-16-2005, 07:02 PM
eas___1990

hmm after lookin at what you got to "modify" i think it would be possible you might use a mechanical speed control to turn it on and off or just drill a hole in the switch or somthing to connect a servo push rod to it
Old 05-17-2005, 08:17 AM
MattDaddy

I have some room - there is space on both sides of the engine - would just have to keep it balanced. The hardest part would be getting the back plates to match up.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Won't work. The Traxxas setup requires a clutch on the boat which the SW 36 doesn't have. For less than the money that trying to convert one, invest in an inflatable boat. Shop around, you can find one with oars and a pump for around $40.00 or less.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:39 PM
eas___1990

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDAK5&P=ML does this one as well?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:52 PM
RiffRaff
My Feedback: (16)

Keep in mind that the Traxxas EZ start would require a 6cell NiCd pack as well. Way too much weight man.

I suppose you could go LiPo but small LiPo's can't handle much current. I have no idea how much current it would take to turn the EZ start, especially since you are trying to start a .32 and the EZ is made for a .15! Probabaly would not work.

Riff
Old 05-18-2005, 12:13 PM
MattDaddy

Thanks for the input. After looking closer, I also realized that a RTS wouldn't work because of the clutch. I have ordered an EZ starter and new backplate from Tiger. I'm going to see if it has enough juice to crank it over. If it does, weight and placement will be the next hurdle.

In the meantime, I got a telescopic fishing pole with a giant hook on the end with 30lb test - will be ok as long as the boat is within range. Also rigging up a retiever system for a 30" electric boat I have - basically a long tether that I can hopefully hook on the SW and pull it back. Pushing it back to shore doesn't work.