Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Water pickup help

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Water pickup help

Old 05-22-2005, 05:58 PM
simonen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pickup help

Need some help with water pickup and cooling on a Prather Deep Vee 31 In. Offshore Inboard Kit. This particular boat has the water pickup on the right trim plate near the center of the boat. A copper tube is slid through, soldered in and cut at a 45 degree angle. I have used the same tubing from the pickup to the engine as the fuel tubing, I am hoping it is not too small in diameter. The problem that I am having is that there is NO water going through the system even with the throttle up. I have only had limited run so I don't kill the engine, so I hope it is ok. Has anyone had this problem before with this boat or can recommend a good fix?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 05-22-2005, 06:26 PM
ejp67
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Water pickup help

That tubing is probably too small. Can you blow through the system???
Old 05-23-2005, 07:20 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First and most important, is the water pickup in the water? Are your trim tabs set so they are at least in plane with the bottom of the boat? Second, is the system clear? As EJP said, can you blow through the system and feel air coming out the discharge? Even if the supply hose to the engine is small, there should still be some water coming out of the discharge. You either don't have the water pick up deep enough into the water or the system is blocked. Maybe even plumbed improperly.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:07 AM
simonen

I did some exploratory surgery and found no blockages. Trying to blow air through the system was very restricted as well. I think that it may be a combination of issues like the water pickup not being low enough and the trim plates are even with the bottom of the hull. The other may perhaps be the tubing; I will try using the large prather silicon tubing instead and hope this does the trick. I just hope I have not ruined the engine from running too hot, because after 5 minutes of trying to see if water was coming out of the discharge I could not even get the engine to run faster than half throttle, it kept bogging down. Perhaps that is another issue altogether.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Square Nozzle

Have you considered that the engine may be running way to lean? What has convinced you that there is no cooling going to the engine? Can you see the discharge with the boat moving on the water? Typically the cooling systems on our boats provide to much water and the engines run to cool. If you can blow through the cooling system then there should be water flowing also. Remember that larger tubing will do no good if the restriction is at the pickup. A system with a 1/8" pick up tube and 1/8" fittings at the engine will not benefit from installing tubing larger than 1/8" ID.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:53 PM
simonen

That is what I was thinking about the tubing as well when I installed it. The pickup is more like 3/16 inside diameter and the fitting on the engine is 1/8". I do not see any water coming out of the discharge when running in the water and when I pull the boat from the water, the only trace of water I can see in the tubing is more like condensation and it is only half way to the engine. The discharge appears to be completely dry. As far as the engine running lean, I thought perhaps it was running too rich when dry running it because it would bog down when I hit the throttle. When I leaned it out, it was solved; that is until I had it in the water. I thought perhaps if the engine was not get cooled properly, that this would affect the performance. I am running 15% fresh nitro, maybe that is not enough?

I have lowered the water pickup about 1/16 to 1/8" to see if that helps any.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the percentage of nitro until you get the cooling problem fixed. Check EVERYTHING through-out the entire system as there can be blockage anywhere along the waters path. It can be sand, algae or who-knows-what that can cause this problem.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:37 AM
Square Nozzle

Go at it systematically. Pull the plumbing off the water P/U and confirm that theP/U is clear. Then pull the tube off the engine and confirm that the tube is clear from the P/U to the engine . Remove the fittings from the engine and make sure they are clear. Reinstall the fittings on the engine and confirm that the cooling jacket is clear. Last, confirm that the discharge is clear. If you're getting water into the plumbing to the engine, I'd look closely at the head fittings and the cooling jacket. Something or someone is living in there.