Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

attn. Ron Olson, props?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

attn. Ron Olson, props?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 03:19 AM
corradopsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default attn. Ron Olson, props?

ok since my last thread never even got one response i figured id ask you directly. i have a shockwave 36. right now im running a prather 225 prop, sharpened balanced and polished. ive tried an octura x440 (sharp, balanced, polished) and found i lost a lot of speed. both props cavitate on me when i punch the throttle. the x440 more than the 225. the 225 is on the verge of chine walk, but the x440 is stable. i may be able to tame the 225 down a bit by raising the strut. what should i try next, something of a similar size to the 225 with higher pitch, or something larger with less pitch. the engine doesnt seem to struggle with the 225, but definately revs higher, id say too high for the speed the boat is traveling, with the x440. it feels like i need more "bite" in the water for lack of a better term, without swinging so much prop that it chine walks on me.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: attn. Ron Olson, props?

You just HAD to put my name on the posting didn't you!
The chine-walking problem comes from the strut being at the wrong spot, usually just a bit too low. I learned this the hard way on my sons Titan 21 (now long gone). Without having any hands-on experience with the SW 36's you could try going down to the 220 or 215, both are smaller of course than the 225 yet larger than the Octura X-440. There used to be an article written by John Finch in www.rcboat.com on chine-walking, I'll see if I can locate it for you.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:36 AM
corradopsi

yeah, i kinda did, i posed this question before and got zero replys, and im not aware of another good boat forum to ask on, and no hobby shops around here support boats.

ok but what can i do about the fact that it cavitates when nailing the gas. ive seen some fast electric boats litterally jump out of the water from having so much thrust. why dont thier props cavitate, but mine does from an idle or low speed. once its up to about half speed i can hit it and it takes off no problem, but anything below that and the engine revs up quickly and the boat goes nowhere fast. then after about 20-30 feet it catches up and starts to get up to speed and then plane. there is very little chine walk right now, and i agree it can probibly be fixed by raising the strut, it still has some room to come up yet. now when i adjust that, can i angle the prop up a little more, or do i have to move the whole stut up vertically(which would mean cutting my transom)
Old 06-04-2005, 02:20 AM
Macleod

Stop looking Ron,

Here are all the articles John Finch has posted.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
Bz78470.txt (58.8 KB, 2 views)