Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

An idea from a Miss Bud owner...

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

An idea from a Miss Bud owner...

Old 06-04-2005, 04:39 PM
sky_dancer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An idea from a Miss Bud owner...

Hi guys,
I've been sitting here today looking up stuff on the computer about boats and the Pro Boat Miss Budweiser. At the same time , I've been working on my Miss Bud. It's one of the older versions that I got when they first came out. I basically ran it two or three times, found out all the problems they have and got frustrated and tossed it in a corner. The I went back to my planes.
Anyway, lately I have been pondering what to do with it and I thought of selling it but in the end I decided to keep it. So today I've been tearing the boat completely down ready to do the mods on it to make it a better boat. I intend to do them and put it back together but an idea has occured to me.
What if, when I trash the boat, and I will tear it up, I'm a Pro Bro, I find a suitable plan to build a hull for all the guts of the boat. I'm talking engine, rudder assembly, drive shaft etc. etc. I love to build and I don't really have the cash to buy drive train components for a new hull if I built one. Surely there must be some plans out there for a hydro or even a mono type hull that would give decent sport performance with a side exhaust .15 and tuned pipe. I know there are .21 sized mono plans out there but is there something that would take a .15? Could one maybe resize a .21 plan for .15? What do you guys think? Any suggestions for plans that might work? I have some plans for an 6 cell class 05 electric vee here. I wonder if that would work.
I've also seen plans for a 1/8 scale "crackerbox" boat that says it will accept a .12 pull start. I'm just kind of thinking up possibilities right now. Maybe a boat could be designed from the ground up by someone more knowledgeable than me. Would some of you old hands at the boat game chime in a give opinions and suggestions? I think this would be a cool idea for Miss Bud owners that have somehow trashed the hull of their boat and don't want or can't afford to replace it.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: An idea from a Miss Bud owner...

What about building a new hull from scaled down 1/8th scale plans? Get a set from Newton Marine, scale them down to about 30 inches and start building. Scale down the plywoods to half the listed thicknesses and you will have a hull weighing in at less than 3 pounds. The website is www.newtonmarine.com. One word of advice would be to avoid the turbine boats. Any cowling or tail set would have to be hand made, so unless you are good at moldmaking......................................
Old 06-04-2005, 08:19 PM
sky_dancer

Thanks, that's an interesting link. It would definitely work if I went the hydro route again. Right now I'm thinking along the lines of a monohull though because the lake I live on gets kind of rough sometimes and that's tough on the hydro. I didn't think about that when I bought the Miss Bud, I kind of got sucked in by the "WOW" factor of the looks. I was checking out another thread here on the Wild Thing mono built from RCBM plans. The moderator of this forum has a .12 version of it. That might work well. Wonder if he scaled it down any at all. I might have to change the driveline stuff and the rudder but if I could make the pull start .15 and tuned pipe work, it might be doable. How about it Ron?
Old 06-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Warehouse Hobbies has the new Mini-Manta Ray that could take a lot of your pieces and the price isn't bad for it. www.whobbies.com .
You may have to change a few things like the header and driveline but you'll have a hull that can handle rougher water.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:19 AM
sky_dancer

That would definitely work but I'm really wanting to build a hull if at all possible. That boat gives me some idea as to what size of hull I should have. I'll have no problem building from plans, I'm just not sure about the scaling down part.