Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

throttle/carb sticking on .32 shockwave 36

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

throttle/carb sticking on .32 shockwave 36

Old 06-12-2005, 08:17 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle/carb sticking on .32 shockwave 36

Hi everyone! I have been reading all your posts for days, even before i decided to buy the shock wave about 10 days ago. You guys seem to be a great bunch, hope i can contribute too!

I was tuning the carb settings, as i have about 4 tanks run through the engine for breakin. I tuned all 3 needles a litte bit. The idle seems fine, and i suppose the high-speed lean is about right, but after i messed with the low-speed lean, i started to have problems with the throttle sticking.

The throttle seems to move out some when it is opened up, this seems right, as it did this brand new before it was ran. but now, i have to keep it pushed in to move the throttle! and it still seems to "stick". I am new to nitro, but have had a few electric boats, they sucked, (no offence) i want my shockwave to work great!!! this is the only problem i have run into!!! ANY IDEAS????????????? Thanks for any help!!!!

(o and there was a guy at the pond today with 2 prather fun cruisers. He got SMOKED by my shockwave that is not even tuned yet! All factory settings, and not even tuned right! i have'nt even touched the trim plates! this thing Hauls A*S! hahaha, man i love this boat!)

-Chris , grand blanc, MI
Old 06-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: throttle/carb sticking on .32 shockwave 36

Seeing how you messed with all 3 screws it could be a couple of things. I've need carbs stick (or even worse, the barrels fall out) from the idle screw being messed with. The low-speed needle shouldn't ever be messed with as usually it's pretty well pre-set at the factory. If and when you get the carb to open, make sure that when at wide open throttle the barrel hasn't moved over to one side.
This last one sounds a little strange but oddly enough, it happened to me today. The rubber boot around the carb linkage was sticking preventing the servo from working properly.
If the boat hasn't been run in a while and if there was fuel around the barrel, it might have gummed up making it stick.
Just a few things to look at.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:44 PM
FE_Chris

Thanks for the helpful info ron! I did infact get the throttle to loosen up with some after run oil and i leaned in the low-speed needle, while having the carb closed, and it worked, i think. But you said something about the carb not moving out when you move the throttle to wide open. Well it does. As the throttle is being moved up to 100% the "throttle tube, or opening" seems to move out twords the low-speed needle, as the throttle is being pushed. Is this normal? Thanks
Old 06-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Ron Olson

On some carbs they will do this because of the slot in the carbs barrel is at a slant for the idle screw. you just want to make sure that you can see the complete hole in the barrel at wide open, nothing off to one side. I saw this happen on a Miss Bud that we wrestled with one day.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:48 PM
FE_Chris

OK, got it! so if the air intake hole goes over to the side to much, what do i have to do to fix it? ajust the low speed needle? the idle needle? Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2005, 11:54 PM
ejp67
My Feedback: (5)

Idle screw, I was helping a friend with his truck and the throttle came out of the carb. Scary thing.[X(] just make sure the screw is in the slot on the barrel or else it will tighten down on the carb barrel holding it open.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:18 AM
soren wichmand

It is the idle stop screw you have to turn in 1 - 2 turns but remember to give it a little trottle before you atempt to make the adjustment othervise the trottle will be impossible to open afterwards.

1) give the carb. a little trottle (without turning on the transmitter, just do it by hand)

2) turn the stop screw in 1 - 2 turns and then it schould be ok.

3) you schould be able to se 1/8 of the "hole" in the carb.

On this engine/carb. the trottle does move out when you hit the trottle. aprx. 1/4 inch.
It is ofcourse not ok if the trottle comes all the way out of the carb.

Best regards.
The happy and proud owner of a Shockwave (with a broken flexshaft)
Old 06-13-2005, 02:43 PM
FE_Chris

OK, i think i have it, but just to make for sure i understand you. If the idle screw is out all the way of it's silver nut.........when i screw it in, i should only have to tighten 1-2 turns for the idle to be good? Thats far enough?????? Thanks!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:14 AM
Ron Olson

You only want it in just far enough so that you can fully close the carb. Those screws really aren't really of any other use to us boaters except to keep the barrel from falling out. The 4-wheel guys need them to keep their machines running while they're on the brakes. You want to adjust your idle with the transmitter throttle trim. You need the carb to close fully only when shutting down the engine otherwise at neutral it should be at idle.