Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Dynamite .15 w/Supercharger

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Dynamite .15 w/Supercharger

Old 06-16-2005, 06:07 AM
dbm0011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamite .15 w/Supercharger

I contacted RB Innovations about a Supercharger for my dynamite 15 in my Miss Bud.
They sent me pictures. SC cost is 169.95
Not sure why i want one, just want to try it I guess.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95230.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	285797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57201.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	285798  
Old 06-16-2005, 06:13 AM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Dynamite .15 w/Supercharger

That Rocks! Any idea how much more RPM or MPH you can get out of MISS BUD now???? SWEET!!! F'ING SWEET! SUPERCHARGE EVERYTHING!
Old 06-16-2005, 07:32 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your dreams!!! If the engine can handle the additional cylinder pressure ( rod and crank shaft in particular) the additional weight will probably negate any power increase.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:07 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

For the price, you're much better off at spending that money for another engine for your boat. I saw a review on it in an R/C car magazine and from what their Dyno tests showed, there wasn't much improvement HP and RPMwise to justify the cost.
You'd have to scrap your cowling also as it won't fit under it, a bad move with a Miss Bud.
If a supercharger would have done any serious good, wouldn't you think that you should have seen a lot more of them long before theirs came out?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Ron Olson

The HP and RPM gain from the blower don't justify the cost. One of the R/C car rags did a review on it and their Dyno tests didn't show any significant improvements over stock. Spend the $169.95 on a hotter engine instead. You'd also have to hack the cowling up on a Miss Bud to get it in there, something that you probably wouldn't want to do.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:45 AM
eas___1990

i have only seen one other supercharged boat and it was a miss bud on ebay
Old 06-17-2005, 04:55 AM
dbm0011

Like I said, Just something to try basically. No I dont think that I would be seeing alot of superchargers on small engines, but then again, never thought I'd see a tiger drive either. Thought it was pretty cool so I bought one. Same principal here. Not sure what kind of speed increase or how much more RPM it will produce. I have been thinking about putting one on a new engine, never run, and use it to look at.Kind of like a model. My wife does not like my ideas for mantle pieces.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:10 PM
hellomynameisdookie

Stay away from the RB Scamovations SC. Complete waste of money. Purchase a better engine and have something that not only you can have much more fun with, but will be way easier to run/tune/ect ect.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:26 AM
Speedemon0287

yea im sure he'll take your advice, especially when he sees your username. Its just so professional sounding, ya know?
Old 02-22-2006, 01:41 AM
Speedemon0287

yea, im seriously considering ordering one for my miss lumar 1/12th scale. i love superchargers, and even if it turns out not to increase hp, i think i'd still keep it, just for that awesome turbine winding sound it adds to the engine. I have to say i agree with whoever it was that said a supercharger might not work on a 2 stroke, because the intake and exhaust ports both open at the same time, so the air from the supercharger would just blow right through. Then again, it might create a supercharged and turbocharged engine effect, because of the fact that the air from intake pushes the exhaust out. The boost in intake air/fuel pressure could end up increasing your engines ability to efficiently remove power robbing exhaust gasses from the cylinder before its to late and it mixes with your air fuel mixture as the piston is traveling past bottom dead center and closing the reed valve.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:22 AM
pinky_d_brain

Possibly but I would rather make it into a water pump for my bigger motor LOL
and I still don’t think it would help to much the added strain on the motor would sap up all the extra hp
It would probably work better on bigger motors because the more hp you have the leas it will notes the extra load and the more the thing will help
Old 02-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Ron Olson

Keep in mind, with superchargers, they take HP to make HP whereas turbochargers are almost free HP as they use exhaust gases for power. Ful-sized drag cars use 500 HP to turn one of those big blowers but in the end they're pumping out over 7,000 HP.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:09 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

It won't help at all with any engine. It's driven by the flywheel, meaning that the use of a starter belt is prohibited. It also means that the engine is going to have to drag the "supercharger" along with the driveshaft/prop. This will cost you RPMS and weight, both of which will lower the speed of the boat. Who knows, that thing might be heavy enough to sink a Bud/Llumar.

Pinky, I don't know where you're ideas come from, but it's not a water pump either. You can get a water pump that is driven from a pressure tap in the engine block, so it doesn't load up the engine. A water pump is only needed when a boat is running and standing still, which a hydro is not going to do very often. Also, any time you put an additional load on a nitro engine, you loose power. Engine size is irrelevant as ANY extra drag can and will cause damage. That's why a boat needs to have the prop/engine/tuned pipe assembly tuned for the boat it's in. If one thing is off, the boat goes from a winner to a slug
Old 03-04-2006, 08:46 AM
mybudisfast

ok.....ok guys, I have to write this..lol....I see you poking a little fun at the idea of a supercharger, but i have one.....it is a 1/12 scale bud, tricked out to the max, and it does include a supercharger, from RB Innovations.First of all, yes, it is pricey, but to that I say, to each his own evils...lol! Believe me, at that price, I was skeptical. The next thing is, yes< it does work VERY well with my 2 cycle engine, weighs just over 1/2 an once (machined from arcraft grade aluminum billet), utilizes exhaust pressure mix to provide efficient function, and there is NO noticible loss of power do to operation (high speed precision ball bearings). I run it with 30%/18% trinity fuel. Before adding the supercharger, my bud Barely eeked out 29 miles per hour, after the charger was added, and after a little break in tuning, it is now runningthe mid to high 30's. I also added RB's hyper valve system, which allows you to use pressure from the charger, as well as exhaust pressure, to enhance fuel system boost pressure, which i must say works very well with this system. It most defintely helps after cornering the skid fin, and layin' the hammer back down. So......for what it's worth....I am pleased with my purchase, and would do it again...IT IS SOOO COOL!.......and no......I am NOT employed by RB!.....LOL!.......just putting in my 2 cents.

Budman
Old 03-04-2006, 08:52 AM
mybudisfast

OH....almost forgot.........the engine cowl WILL fit, all you have to do is take a dremel, wth a cut off wheel, and remove about 3/8" of thi intake tube. I also dremeled a nicely chamfered 1/4" hole, right in the corner of the mounting bracket, to allow for the cooling intake line for the engine.....thus no turning of the head, and re routing of lines..A REAL PAIN!

Budman
Old 03-04-2006, 08:24 PM
mybudisfast

A couple of pics of my sweetheart!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16043.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	420266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73609.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	420267  
Old 03-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

How much of that is due to breaking in and tuning as compared to using the charger? The little Dynamites don't run very well prior to a full break in, so.........................................
Old 03-04-2006, 09:58 PM
mybudisfast

After break in.....the chager was added. It previously ran, like i said about 29 at best, after the charger was added, and tuned to new settings.....it was faster......no doubt
Old 03-13-2006, 10:41 PM
wingswest
My Feedback: (6)

Can you post some pics with the canopy on so i can see how you did the intake? Thanks, Cameron
Old 03-14-2006, 10:39 AM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Guys,

Like he said...to each his own. If he would like to try something different I say go for it! If it weren't for the astronauts going to the moon we wouldn't have Tang!

Pete
Old 03-16-2006, 11:38 AM
xtremarine

Its still cool I dont know if its NAMBA legal but is kinda nifty