Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Buying a new boat

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Buying a new boat

Old 06-22-2005, 11:55 AM
cooldude3552000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new boat

I have had a nitro vee for about 2 years and have done a fair amount of upgrading and tinkering on it but I really want to get a better boat. I have kept my eyes peeled for a good deal on a used one but never really went through with buying one. I plan to sell my nitro vee and electric truck(I have lost interest in it) to buy a boat.

I found a super deal on one in the local classified adds. The man said he built it but he never used it because he didn't have a boat to go get it when it got stuck (I don't understand why he could not have just gotten a $40 inflatable from a Big5s or something) and he lost interest in it.

The boat is a Prather Aggressor 2 with a never started K&B 7.5 inboard(.45). It includes the starter belt and the electric starter. It comes with all the servos and receiver and a Futaba Attack 2 transmitter. It also comes with 3 spar propellers.
He wants $350 OBO for all of this. I am in the process of selling for truck and boat but I will see what that brings in and if its still for sale I will buy it(I will ask him to take 300 for it.)

So what do you guys think of it? I have to use my boats in salt water(I clean them out after each run) but sometimes it gets a little rough, should this boat handel it as good or better than a nitro vee? Also how fast should it go? I was guesing 45-50MPH, is that acurate?

Here are some pictures of it. REMEMBER I HAVE NOT BOUGHT IT YET SO THESE ARE THE SELLRS PICTURES!

Thanks,
Colin
Old 06-22-2005, 12:16 PM
eas___1990

Default RE: Buying a new boat

looks like it needs a good wipe down but it looks like a good deal to me
Old 06-22-2005, 12:19 PM
ejp67
My Feedback: (5)

Thats the same think I was thinking. It seems to be a nice boat. It would probably handle as good or better because it is bigger. For 300 thats not a bad deal I think.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:25 PM
eas___1990

i gaurunty you the engine alone cost about the same amount or more alone
Old 06-22-2005, 10:53 PM
cooldude3552000

thanks for the replies. So do you guys think 45-50MPH would be a good speed estimate or am I off?

My other question is, does anyone make a valve that I can attach to the cooling line so I can turn a knob on the valve to adjust the flow of cooling water? I run in salt water so it is ushaly cold but when its hot for a while the surface gets pretty warm. So on my boat now, sometimes it runs normally and other times I can run WOT for a full tank and bring it in and the engine is barly warm.

Also does anyone know of a good fail safe? The controller that comes with the boat is a Futaba Attack 2. I want it so if I accidentally go out of range it wont run away, also so if there is interference. Since this is salt water if the throttle stays on and it stops responding the the transmitter and can go for a long while before hitting the beack onthe other side.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:45 AM
Davcruz
My Feedback: (1)

Don't have answers to the first questions, but for the Fail Safe I like the Ofna mini unit, you can find it for about $25 online.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, it should run in the 45-50 MPH range with no trouble. That boat is a great buy for the price as the hull alone isn't cheap. I'd ditch the cheap radio though and put a better one on, the failsafe is always a good idea.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:47 PM
cooldude3552000

does anyone know if they make a valve like I was describing in my last post?

Also are there any other comments you have about this boat? Anything I should be looking for if I go look at it.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:09 PM
ob nut

For the valve, get an [link=http://www.modelengine.com/price.htm]Remote Needle Valve[/link] from K&B. Use that to limit the water flow. Other option would to get extra water nipples that are on the motor. Use silver solder and drill holes thru the solder. Vary the sizes. Change out the out flow nipple to see the difference from one to the other.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:12 PM
ob nut

dup posting. D'oh..
Old 06-24-2005, 11:56 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: cooldude3552000

does anyone know if they make a valve like I was describing in my last post?
Go to an aquarium store. They have valves that are used to limit flow in air lines. The size tubing is similar and they would work fine in a water line. Here's a page with some examples (found using google): http://www.arcatapet.com/category.cfm?catnum=151 Many of them have more than one valve, but you can just remove them from the plastic holder. I used to have some of these, but I got out of aquariums and don't have any of the stuff now. From memory, I think the plastic ones would be more likely to stay in the position you set than the brass. You don't want them vibrating closed while you're running.