Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Refinishing a fiberglass boat

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Refinishing a fiberglass boat

Old 06-22-2005, 07:10 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Refinishing a fiberglass boat

I just aquired a 70's-early 80's vintage .40 sized 'glass boat. Since I've never worked with fiberglass I need some tips on repainting/refinishing it and what materials (brands?) to use. The boat is essentially structurally sound but it does have a few minor cracks on the topside that I'd like to fix. I'd also like to repaint it since the current paint has some spidercrasking on it and is a cheesy 70's style orange metalflake to boot.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:10 AM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Refinishing a fiberglass boat

I'm working on a Dumas d-v 40 that is glass which needs work also. Using 360 w/d sand paper to take off the garbage the previous owner painted on it. Your orange metalflake would be an improvement over what is on this boat To fill in the bad spots, using West Systems epoxy with filler. Paint will be PPG with PPG 2021 clear coat. Using this on all my boats now and 65% nitro won't touch it.

Hope this helps..
Old 06-23-2005, 02:51 PM
meowy84

Thanks ob.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:52 PM
meowy84

Oh by the way, do they sell the West System stuff in small amounts? I'd really hate to have to buy a gallon of each stuff at mucho $$$ and only use a few ounces.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:26 PM
ob nut

I get my West System at [link=https://www.cstsales.com/]CST Sales[/link]. Resin is quarts and up while hardner is .44 pint up... Easy to deal with and they ship quick.. If you do order from them, get some Microlight also. Use it as filler.. Easy to sand!
Old 06-24-2005, 11:27 PM
living my life

For painting boats is there a special paint you can use that is water and oil proof or is it more common to use a clear coat over whatever paint used. I just repaired a few cracks on the stuff on the fiberglass so I want to make it look better but I dont plan on doing any special paint job.

If there are a few different ways to do it Im interested in hearing.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:42 AM
ob nut

If you are using nitro, plan on using some type of clear coat. Higher the nitro %, the better the clear coat you'll need. PPG 2021 works great. You'll have to experiment with primer/paint combo to see if the clear is compatible with what you use. I've heard of people using Krylon or Rustoleum auto primer/paint from a can and then using a good automotive clear coat over it. Auto paint can be expensive. If you don't use a good clear coat, the nitro will eat the paint and you'll have to start all over again. I use the PPG 2021 with DT870 reducer and DCX61 hardner. 65% won't touch it.