Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Help! Nitro Vee Questions!

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Help! Nitro Vee Questions!

Old 06-22-2005, 11:29 PM
tommer12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Nitro Vee Questions!

HI all!

Well, I may have gotten a bum deal off ebay... I havent recieved the boat yet, but my fault... I should have looked at the picture more... it looks like this boat does not have an ez start system.. if not, do you see a coil start? If no coil.. how do you start it then? I'm a little confused..

can anyone help me out?

Also, which fuel should I use? 10% Wildcat? or higher?

I just got the x440 Octura prop and shaft conversion... I have the prop all balanced and sharpend ready to do.

Thanks much!

Any other tips for this boat I would love it!! thanks much
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36091.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	288618  
Old 06-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Help! Nitro Vee Questions!

Yup, you've got a few parts missing. From that shot it's hard to tell but you're lacking either a recoil starter or the onboard eletric starting system. It should take the same sysrem that's used in the truckas and cars from Traxxas so at least parts can be found at most hobby shops.
Without a recoil or the onboard system, you're kind of outta luck. You can't use a belt type of starter because of the clutch.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:54 PM
tommer12

Would this engine be a .12 or a .15? Is there a way to tell?

So you think the local hobby shop will have pull start for this? I would rather just get the ezstart system.

thanks
Old 06-23-2005, 12:36 AM
Ron Olson

Unless it's really old, it's a .15 . The old ones will say Image on the case.
I don't know what your LHS has in stock unless you live near me. All 3 of my LHS's have Traxxas parts galore. An alternative would be the Sullivan Tiger Drive. It uses a drill to crank the engine over.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:40 AM
tommer12

say image on the engine or on the boat itself?

Thanks much for your help!
Old 06-23-2005, 01:00 AM
Ron Olson

It would say Image on the engine case if it was old. They were hard to tune as the front bearing cage was open letting air in messing with the carb settings.
You can run higher nitro in it if you want to, you don't want to know how much I put through small-block motors!
I don't know how well the engine can handle a 440 prop as that one is used mostly for .21 motors.
BTW, I hate to be too nosy but how much did you pay for it?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:07 AM
tommer12

everywhere I have read, lots of people have put on the x440 and panther 215 with huge performance gains from the plastic prop that it comes with. Octura makes a shaft coversion from 4mm to 3/16. So the x440 should just slide on. (I hope!)

The boat was listed as a futuba.. the guy had no idea what it was... picked it up for $150. I figured it was a good deal to play with and see what it can do.. if it blows.. I throw it back on ebay with a couple extra parts. I have heard all over the board good and bad things with the bad, but I think that is with all r/c boats/planes/trucks whatever....

I live in cali right now, and I am having it shipped right to Wisconsin where I will be for the 4th of july for 5 days at the lake.. good toy to play, hence I have all the parts.... eeck!

Old 06-23-2005, 12:12 PM
tommer12

It looks like this is going to be a .12 engine... oh well...

What type of glow plug start do I need? Can I just buy a Duratrax glow plug kit and start the boat up?

THanks
tc
Old 06-23-2005, 03:30 PM
tommer12

wheeeee.. I just had my dad open up the box in wisconsin because it came today. It was a Traxxas Nitro .15.... the ezstart system was pulled off in a bag for some reason.

Now I have have to hope the engine is good!

any other extra parts I should look for?

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2005, 10:12 AM
grinder-RCU

Here is my Nitro Vee complete. The one way locking bearing for the starter has been giving me lots of trouble. Several times i had it off the motor, but it keeps slipping. I'm currently using Omega 10% which seems to run fine. This is my first boat and it's an good starter boat. I do have some experiance with RC planes though which helps. For an beginner the speed is fine. One other small problem is the boat seems to run for about 4 mins then quits. I changed the pick up tube from plastic to an piece of brass tube to better increase the cooling water flow. Next step will be to change the glowplug, might be an bit fouled from the break in procedure. But the motor runs fine for those first 4 mins. After the boat quits i use the rts sytem which works good and place an drop of water on the head to see if it's hot. The water just sits there does not evaporate. I'm a bit miffed.

Grinder.

Name:	Ec89731.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	293454  
Old 10-26-2005, 02:59 PM
jokr420

hey grinder can i get a pick of yur lid off yur boat
Old 10-26-2005, 11:38 PM
grinder-RCU

ORIGINAL: jokr420

hey grinder can i get a pick of yur lid off yur boat
Is this what your looking for? if not i can take another pic. I finally deceided to send in my trx .15 for the engine replacement program. I'm having an hard time keeping it running. I have the engine all disasembled from the boat and when the engine is at tdc there is an bit of play in the connecting rod. Probably my fault for over-reving it out of the water but for no more than second or two. Also on the compression stroke if i put my ear up to the carb i can hear air leaking.

Grinder.

Name:	Vt57324.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	344682  
Old 11-09-2005, 08:09 PM
jokr420

ewwwww that dont sound to good>>>thats a hard call to make?? what makes u think thatb is leakin r u SURE its not the sucking noise from the carb ,, put a air filter first just to make sure, the filter will dampen any noises from the carb intake.just a thought
Old 11-09-2005, 08:11 PM
jokr420

heres my water intake

Name:	Ec89980.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	351504  
Old 11-09-2005, 08:16 PM
tommer12

How hard was it to send in the engine. I have the old one with and it's busted. is it easy to get done?

Thanks!

tc
Old 12-28-2005, 08:44 PM
grinder-RCU

ORIGINAL: tommer12

How hard was it to send in the engine. I have the old one with and it's busted. is it easy to get done?

Thanks!

tc
I just printed the forms off the traxxas site and mailed them in with the engine on Dec 28. I let you know when i get the new pro marine .15 in the mail. I asked at the hobby store if they do the engine exchange and they said no. To bad since i only live about 2 mins from the hobby store.

Grinder.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:38 PM
tommer12

Yeah, let me know how it goes. That would be cool if it is no hassel, etc.
Thanks much! happy new year!

Old 01-05-2006, 01:22 AM
grinder-RCU

Well i mailed the engine on Dec 28 and it looks like they recieved it on Jan 04. Hopefully Traxxas is not to backlogged and my new engine will be shipped shortly.

Product Type: Xpresspost

Date of Event Time of Event Location Description Retail Location Signatory Name
2006/01/04 10:50 Item successfully delivered to Receiver's address
2005/12/30 05:00 International item has arrived in the destination country
2005/12/29 14:58 International item has left the origin country
2005/12/29 03:35 International shipment dispatched from Canada
2005/12/28 13:34 LONDON, ON Item accepted at the Post office

Grinder.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:16 AM
brettos01

The tube in the picture is your water outlet, not your water intake.

Regards Brettos.
ORIGINAL: jokr420

heres my water intake
Old 02-22-2006, 09:27 AM
grinder-RCU

ORIGINAL: grinder-RCU

Well i mailed the engine on Dec 28 and it looks like they recieved it on Jan 04. Hopefully Traxxas is not to backlogged and my new engine will be shipped shortly.

Product Type: Xpresspost

Date of Event Time of Event Location Description Retail Location Signatory Name
2006/01/04 10:50 Item successfully delivered to Receiver's address
2005/12/30 05:00 International item has arrived in the destination country
2005/12/29 14:58 International item has left the origin country
2005/12/29 03:35 International shipment dispatched from Canada
2005/12/28 13:34 LONDON, ON Item accepted at the Post office

Grinder.

Well it's now Feb 22/06 still no engine. I had thought maybe it got held up at Can. customs cause they can be a pain for getting stuff back into Can. So i called customs and they have no info on the engine. So i called Traxxas and the service guy i talked to said the order was shipped Jan 06/06. I informed him that i have not yet received the engine. He said he will look into it and email me when he finds out whats going on. Boy i'm glad its the middle of winter and i don't need the boat the right away or i'd be fuming. I'm going to call them again today and see whats going on.

Grinder.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:24 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER
My Feedback: (4)

hey guys. instead of posting your findings here try posting to the unofficial home of all that is nitrovee please...and post your boat pics there as well.
take care
[8D]
Old 03-01-2006, 01:33 AM
grinder-RCU

Well I called Traxxas again. They said they will send me another engine today shipped by UPS with a tracking number. Should be here by March 06. I had figured the replacement engine got lost in the mail or hung up at Canada customs. I'm glad that the customer service was understanding. Kudos to Traxxas.

Grinder.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:27 PM
grinder-RCU

Well I called Traxxas again. This is getting old real fast. Still no engine. Sent mine in for exchange on Jan 04/06, replacement engine sent out Jan 06/06. Never recieved. Second engine sent from Traxxas feb 28/06 by EMS with tracking number. Never recieved. Called again to get it tracked and find out where it is. Told shipping dept is closed and to call back. Called again 2 days later they said give it a few days to get to Canada, so i said that was reasonable. Now here we are today March 27 still waiting. So when i called today i had them confirm my mailing adddress and you guessed it they had my house number wrong. The tech on the phone updated my info and would track the second engine and would call ME back. Never did. So i will have to call them tomorrow and see how there going to resolve this. The clerical error was on there part. But i have to be honest they have been understanding in this whole process. Plus i keep my cool when talking to them which seems to help the situation. Probably have spent close to $30 in long distance charges as they don't have a 1-800 number for Canada. All this and i live probably a thousand paces from the LHS. I asked at the LHS if they do the exchange and they said no even though they sell Traxxas's line

Grinder.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Ron Olson

Keep in mind that their engine exchange program only sounds like a deal to the uninitiated. You are probably getting thenew engine for at or just over their cost. Normally by the time that wholesalers, dealers, distributors and hobby shops all take their cuts then it ends up at what you'd normally pay for it. By the time that you get yours the way that it sounds, they'll be offering a marine version of their 3.3 engine.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:45 AM
grinder-RCU

I suspected a small a air leak in my orginal engine that was why i sent it in the first place. Traxxas has sent engine number 3 out yesterday March 30 by global EMS with the CORRECT mailing address. While talking on the phone yesterday during the first call they said the guy that was supposed to call me back in a hour on Mon is off for the whole week. Cause when he didn't call me back on Mon i called him back on Thur and found out he was off all week, how was he supposed to call me back if he was off all week??. During the call back from Traxxas to inform me engine 3 is being sent out, i found out that engine 1 has arrived at Traxxas from being returned and engine number 2 arrived at Traxxas on March 14 from being returned. Stay tuned.

grinder.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.