Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Newbie with a few questions???

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Newbie with a few questions???

Old 06-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Davcruz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with a few questions???

I am pretty new to boats, I am currently "restoring" an old Dumas SK Daddle 36" as a gift for my dad. This has given me the bug and now I am selling off a nice Supermaxx to do a boat of my own.

So, the SK Daddle already had a Marine Specialties HBR double rudder outdrive on it, and I had to replace one of the 2 rudders. This got me thinking, because on all the boats I see they only have one rudder. So when are double rudders needed? Do the perform better than single setups, or worse? Are there any benefits?

Second to last question, I am putting a Dynamite .32 marine engine in the SK Daddle. The same engine that comes in the Shockwave. I also have the tuned pipe, but the headers are out of stock everywhere, what other header do you think would fit the engine?

Last question. I am thinking about the Shockwave as my first boat, but I also like the idea of building a boat. What would you guys recommend? By a RTR or build one, and if it is build one, what do you suggest for a budget of maybe $400, I already have a radio system, but I will need to buy servos.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:33 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Newbie with a few questions???

I'm thinking of building a Wild Thing from plans, although I may upsize them a bit so I can use a .45 engine I've already got. It seems that some careful shopping you would be able to stay within your $400 budget. Plans are $15 from R/C Boat Modeler, I saw an estimate of $50 for the wood, around $200 for a .21 engine and pipe (OS or OPS would both be less), and you've got $135 left for hardware.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:24 PM
alex_hockey
My Feedback: (5)

ya im a newbie to this all to just got my first boat off of ebay a nitro viper gt i got it real cheap but it was a piece of junk the hull was cracked the rudders were out the engine was cloged the servo mount and cover were broken and being held together by duck tape but ive been workin on it for sum time now and it looks great i had to clean teh engine and then i fiberglass the hole hull and i had to make a radio and servo holder and i striped that boat from top to bottom and now i relize that if i would never have done that and i bought a brande new boat and some thing went wrong with the engine i would have no idea how to fix it or if i needed to fiberglass something i wouldnt know how to do it properlay i would go with building a boat you get it pick every thing you want and probably still stay under your budget i am probably goni to sell my boat after teh summer and get almost double what i paid and then i am goin to start from scratch and build my own boat
Old 06-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The HBR twin rudder setup is not needed on the SK-Daddle. It's overkill on that boat and way too heavy. Even the gas boaters complain about it. A single rudder will do the job.
If you feel that your boat building skils are up to snuff, then go for it otherwise I'd start with a pre-built hull.
There are a lot of boats RTR for under $400.00 . The one to have whenever they get them out is the Mean Machine 18 by Aeromarine. The SW 36 might be a good choice but replace the flex cable first with a good one before running.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Davcruz

Ron, thanks for the info. I will stick with the HBR since it is already there and I just spent $8 on a new rudder.

Do you have any info on the Mean Machine 18? When is it due out? What other boats would you recommend?

Also, any idea on the header for the Dynamite .32?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Ron Olson

The Mean Machine 18 should have been out by now. When I was talking to Remy Haynes Jr. at the Toledo show back in April, they were supposed to be in transit then and waiting to go through Customs. It's on the main page of www.aeromarinerc.com .
Others that I'd recommend that are under $400.00 would be the Aquacraft Nitro Hammer or the CEN Racing Aqua Jet.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Davcruz

Boy, I do like the looks of that mean Machine! I wish there were more pictures available of it though, I want to see inside it and so forth. It looks like it is still not available though.[&o]
Old 06-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Ron Olson

Here's a shot that I took of one at the Toledo show..............
Old 06-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Davcruz

Where are the pictures Ron, I can't see the pictures.[&o]
Old 06-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Ron Olson

I can see it. If you're getting the X in a box then right-click on it.
What is shown is the pre-procuction show version. I've heard that there may have been a few changes in the production versions like the cowling and possibly the engine shown. I wouldn't expect to think that the paint job will be as nice either as Dean Werges did that one and it probably cost more than the boat.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Davcruz

Not even a read X for me.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Ron Olson

Try this: http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/a...id=47696&stc=1
Old 06-26-2005, 07:16 AM
Davcruz

Ahh, I can see it now!! It does look nice, I just wish it was available now. I wonder what is the hold up?[:-]
Old 06-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Ron Olson

Over at www.funrcboats.com they are saying Mid-June. Well, it's after Mid-June so they should be showing up. They'd be easier to contact than Remy or Troy at Aeromarine.
In April, supposedly they were in the US waiting to be checked at Customs before bring trucked to Delaware. There were 2 cargo boxes full of the boats and one of them had already been sold. We're talking a lot of boats!
Old 06-27-2005, 10:03 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Davcruz

Ahh, I can see it now!! It does look nice, I just wish it was available now. I wonder what is the hold up?[:-]
You could always order the pieces and build it yourself.