Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Prop question

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Prop question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 08:12 PM
tommer12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop question

I have read all the pages I could find on the web on balancing and polishing a prop. And I have seen in the pictures on here that people polish the backside of the props. Everything I have read is to leave the back side alone. Is that correct?

I took an octura prop, balanced and sharpened the edges that face the notched key or forward. I also polished that side of the prop or took sanded there to get it to balance. Is this correct? My balancing unit says it is balanced. Looks nice and polished towards the front, and original on the back. I have not mounted it yet. But just checkin to see what everyone else things.

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Prop question

Polishing it only makes it to look better. I polish mine as there is nothing worse in my opinion that a boat that looks great and has a nasty looking prop on it.
You can get into a big argument over if a smooth suface or rough surface is better on the backside. I had Competition Marine Design (a.k.a. Andy Brown) do up 4 props for me during the winter to see how they compared to that ones that I've done. His are rougher on the face than mine as their reason being that it helps to aerate the prop to give it less friction but not cavitate the prop.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:01 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Prop question

As Ron points out, this is a touchy subject for some out there Everyone has their process of doing props. No two are the same.

I've always left the face (side towards the notched slots) alone for balancing purpose. The back side is where material is taken off by first thinning then balancing. Once balanced, then sharpen from the backside. Once sharpened, then rebalance.

Lastly, I've got an ugly prop, but boy does it fly! Never see the prop when running, only the boat.