Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Shockwave 36 taking on water

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Shockwave 36 taking on water

Old 06-24-2005, 08:50 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shockwave 36 taking on water

Love this boat, fast, easy to start. But man is she wet inside.

The stuffing tube (i believe it is called) is leaking water into the hull. Water is coming in from the inside of the plastic tube that the flex shaft comes through. I have greased it, but no dice. Still leaks. Is this tube replacable. Looks to have more than enough room for the flex cable to spin. I am Using the prather Stainless cable. HELP!!! Thanks!

Old 06-24-2005, 08:53 PM
FE_Chris

Default RE: Shockwave 36 taking on water

To clarify things, the water drips right out of the flex shaft tube into the hull. It literally runs over the cable, through the tube and into the hull. (drips out right at the end of the plastic tube, by the motor) Thanks!
Old 06-25-2005, 12:03 AM
living my life

Does it take on a lot of water or a small puddle?
Im pretty new to boats to but my SW36 takes on water too. It isnt much but I would think adaquate grease would keep it out since grease and water dont like each other. I dont know how much grease you put in but I heard some one else puts grease in one end and puts their finger of it while putting the shaft in the other end. That way when grease comes out the end where you put the shaft in you know its full. I am going to be doing that for the first time tomorrow so Ill see how it goes.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:09 AM
FE_Chris

The boat is taking on LOTS of water. SO much that i have to stop running after about 3 mins, because i can see that the boat is starting to get heavy. ANyone else?
Old 06-25-2005, 07:13 AM
boataddict

I too had this very same issue. I would have to stop and drain the boat every 3 - 5 mins. I used lots of grease but that never slowed the water coming in. The solution that worked great for me was to install an autobailer. With the Autobailer installed I can run the entire tank and not have any issues like before.

I got mine here:

Aeromarine 7008 - Autobailer

http://www.rocketcityracing.com/pilo...cific=jrgpmrn0

Some boaters don't like auto-bailers because they can do the opposite of what they were designed for if you don't keep them clean.

Another alternative would be to install a water pick system that sucks the water out of the hull, similar to how the engine cooling works but installed in the reverse. The only downside I see with this is the creation of drag by adding another water pick up to the transom.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:40 PM
FE_Chris

Thanks boat addict! i think i may get one of those. Could you tell me where you mounted yours? It looks like i will have to drill a hole for the AB to mount. any pics would rock too! Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2005, 03:59 PM
cooldude3552000

you mount an auto bailer in the lowest pont in the hull, so in a vee as close as you can get it to the pint in the back. Also they do not let water into the hull. I guess if you sit at a complete stand still for a long time you might find a little water start to drip in. Also if you go in reverse it would plabaly force some in but almost all nitro/gas boats don't have reverse unless it is a jet.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:53 PM
FE_Chris

You guys rock! Thanks! to bad i have to order one. LHS sucks when it comes to boats/parts (what else is new)
Old 07-25-2005, 12:26 AM
bebopin64

if your still reading this it sounds like you flex shaft is the wrong size.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:02 AM
FE_Chris

nope, my flex shaft is the right size. 3/16 inch. I have everything back together right now, and i am going to take her for a run tonight and see how she does.