Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Air Filter for boat / marine engine

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Air Filter for boat / marine engine

Old 07-04-2005, 09:06 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter for boat / marine engine

Hi Yall! I have a shockwave 36, .32 engine of course. Just wondering if i can put a air filter on the carb. See, my boat takes on water through the stuffing tube. It seems like the water must be getting sucked into the intake along with any other debree in the water. I don't think it will help keep water out that much (or will it?) but i don't want crap running into my motor. Will it perform worse/ the same? Will this make a differance? any recomendations on an air filter? Thanks!
Old 07-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Air Filter for boat / marine engine

If you're taking in water through the stuffing tube, you have a problem there. Are you greasing it? Normally we don't run air filters on boats as all they usually do is clog up with water, especially the paper element ones.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:46 PM
FE_Chris

Yes ron i grease it the best i can. The grease just seems to spin out, but i am sure there is enough in the tube for lube. The shaft leaks water out right into the hull from within the plastic tube, it comes in right along the flex shaft. When i pull the boat out of the water, i can see water coming out the back of the boat from the flex shaft tubing. This sucks man, i love this boat, but there are so many little issues like this! The other guy reccomended the auto bailer, and that helps, but water comes in at about 2-3 drips per second when just sitting in the water not running! Makes me wonder how bad it runs in while running!!!!! HELLLLLLLPPPPPP!!!! Think if i *****ed to horizon hobby they would send me new parts? Can i replace the tube's with smaller ones??? Could mine be stretched out? Man, sorry so many questions, what to do what to do,.........Thanks!
Old 07-05-2005, 04:29 AM
soren wichmand

Silicone!!! you simply add a little silicone (window seeler) where the strut meets the transom and in the small hole on the strut be careful not to add to much and dont get it on the flexcable. After this operation you grease the flexcable and now you dont have to wory about water in the hull (if you done it right).
Best reg.
Soren
Old 07-05-2005, 06:00 AM
FE_Chris

Hey soren, are you actually taking the flex cable out, and putting silicone in to seal? Explain yourself better please.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:59 AM
BaddogKY0007

TTT Any better ideas? I too was wondering about the silicone.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:33 AM
biteme
Banned

If you wish to use silicone, grease the end of the shaft first - the silicone will not stick to grease. Then the silicone can be used to make a better seal at the strut.