Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

cmb 100 and aeromarine catameran

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

cmb 100 and aeromarine catameran

Old 09-11-2005, 06:45 PM
pirate one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cmb 100 and aeromarine catameran

I recently purchased a aeromarine cat with a cmb 100 motor running dual plugs. I have no experience with this type of setup. The boat is app 14in wide and 36 in long. the cowling sticks out the back of the boat about 4 inches. I could use any info on this type of
boat and motor (mainly motor setup) as it has not been run at all. Any info would be great. I can post pics if needed.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: cmb 100 and aeromarine catameran

The hull is too small for that motor. It is made for .21/.45 motors and barely good enough for a .45 . You'd be much better off dropping that big-block into a hull made for it or for Gas motors.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:43 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Ron, I believe the 36" Sprintcat is actually listed as a .40/.80 hull. The 29" version is for the .21/.45s.

However, I completely agree that a CMB 100 is way too much engine. It's going to be hard to keep the boat on the water with so much power.

I just got my 36" sprintcat running. It's got a second hand OPS .67. I only had one tuning session at the lake before its first race. Just when I got the pipe length right the coupler blew. I didn't have a spare, so it was off to the races with no more changes. With the OPS .67 it was holding its own against the gas cats and monos. While it lost a little to them on raw straight away speed (something I'll be able to fix with prop selection and more setup time), it was more predictable in the turns. When I was researching the boat others told me that even a .67 was too big and said they had downgraded to a .45.

So, I agree, move the CMB to a bigger hull and put in a .45 or .67. My vote is unless you're targeting racing in a certain class, go with a decent .67, such as K&B (if you can find one) or OPS. It'll be easier (less finicky, and more forgiving) to tune than a racing caliber .45.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Ron Olson

Chuck, you caught me with my brain in the partially off position. You might be glad later on after you find out what it will cost to feed that beast. You'll get about 4 good runs per gallon.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:43 AM
pirate one

well thanks for the info I thought it was too big. It just so happens that I also just bought a 48 inch v hull with a new pico 67 in it. Guiess I will just have to switch the motors. I am still having trouble starting the cmb motor does anyone know the here know about this motor? I need lots of help as my frustration level has risen several notches since buting these boats.

Old 09-25-2005, 05:24 PM
DMACK
My Feedback: (9)

If the motor is totally new, i usually set the needle at about 3 1/2 turns out. Take a hair dryer and heat the case of the motor until its pretty warm almost hot. This will expand the motors metal and make getting the motor to turn over easier, especially at top dead center.. Turn the motor over and make sure there is a fine mist of fuel coming out of the plug holes. Now pinch off the fuel line and turn it over until the fuel mist goes away. Then put in you plugs, and give it a go. That usually makes the first few starts a little easier.

Heat cycle the motor 3 or 4 times with it set rich. Start it let it warm up to near running temp. Then stop it and let it completely cool. Then repeat. You'll need to keep the needle rich the fist 3 or 4 tanks you run it, and keep it at half throttle. After 3 or 4 tanks, you can start to lean it out and run it harder.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Ron Olson

I hope that you have a 24-volt starter, you're going to need it. Even with loose glow plugs, it would be a major project for even the best 12-volt starter. You can light one plug at a time, start it on one then hit the other for a second or two to heat that one.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:12 PM
pirate one

I just bought a 24 volt starter to fix the barely turn the motor prob. This thing really turns the motor over. Starts right up. I will start with the 3.5 turns on the motor. Thanks for the info. Keep sending it. I can use it.

[8D]
Old 09-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Ron Olson

I got a great deal on a new Sullivan model 4 last winter. I love the thing except for the sticking switch. That will be taken care of when I get one of the starter handles from Rossi Sales. Just for fun, I like to crank over my little .12 engines on 24 volts. Boy, do they spin over fast!
Old 09-28-2005, 07:11 AM
eas___1990

do you have any pics?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:14 AM
pirate one

well I took both the boats out today. They both started fine. One boat is a 36 inch cat with the cmb motor and the other is a 48 inch deep v hull with a pico 67 in it. they both seem to be doing the same thing. they seem to be running rich (plenty of smoke out the pipe). They both take off really fast then they slow to about 1/3 throttle if I let off on the throttle and hit it they take off for a second and then slow back down. Any ideas? problem two: on most boats that I have seen with water outlets the water shoots out the holes very noticeably. On both of my boats the water comes out but is not squirting out like i have seen on other boats. the cat has a single water pick up; two holes in the rudder connected to a tube into the head of the motor and then back out a port in the side of the boat. the v hull has two inputs one on the rudder and one on the bottom of the hull in the left back corner a bout an inch from the rear of the boat. one goes to the header at the beginning of the exhaust pipe and the other goes to the head of the motor both exit the boat on the left side through two ports. the water can be seen coming out the holes but it is a far cry from a stream more like a trickle. Got any ideas?

Old 09-30-2005, 05:13 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: pirate one

well I took both the boats out today. They both started fine. One boat is a 36 inch cat with the cmb motor and the other is a 48 inch deep v hull with a pico 67 in it. they both seem to be doing the same thing. they seem to be running rich (plenty of smoke out the pipe). They both take off really fast then they slow to about 1/3 throttle if I let off on the throttle and hit it they take off for a second and then slow back down. Any ideas?
Welcome to the world of boating. You're going to need to do some experimenting with fuel mixture, pipe length, and prop size. To start with, post what model prop (brand and size) you are running with and measure the length of the pipe from the center of the cylinder (or glow plug) to the wide part of the pipe cone. There's often a weld mark there.