Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 .12 NITRO ENGINE >

.12 NITRO ENGINE

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

.12 NITRO ENGINE

Old 10-09-2005, 12:24 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .12 NITRO ENGINE

hello,

can anyone advise me one this engine ?

in otherwords... how potent is this engine or size etc..

iam new to nitro and to see if this engine is any good ?

iam bidding on a FREEDOM 36" RADIO CONTROL BOAT (nitro) RTR .

regards

Winged Avenger
Old 10-09-2005, 12:39 AM

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: .12 NITRO ENGINE

We need more info on the engine and the boat. I will tell you up front, that .12 won't be enough to push a 36" boat with any kind of speed, if that was the plan
Old 10-09-2005, 12:56 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I think that I know which one that it is. Was it made by ABC Hobby and has the outboard on it? If it is, it will be slow, maybe 15 MPH tops. It will be difficult to get parts for, especially the belts for the lower unit.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:55 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Hey man, i see you make a lot of post's for some cheep RC boat stuff. Well, let me tell you this. I am still pretty new to the game, but i learned some hard lessons. The first being, only buy what these guys tell you is good. Why? because they know! they run the stuff!!!!! you are just setting yourself up for a bunch of wasted time, trouble, effort and money. Personally, if i was you and looking fort a boat, i would go with the AC TOPSPEED 2. Looks like a lot of fun, and the people round'here like it. I have a Shockwave36 myself, and i hate it. Proboat makes crap. Most of the RTR boats are junk (as far as this newb can tell). If you did need to buy RTR, i would go with the nitro hammer. It has a DVD and all kinds of stuff to get you started on the water, and it's not bad either. 20-25MPH is what i here.

Take it from me man, you buy used, and you get junk. If you are a newb, buy new, and buy what ron and OB Nut and these other guys tell you is good. Believe me, you will save yourself so much headache and money it's not even funny...

And ummm...Sorry, dont mean to hijack, but i have read most if not all your posts. Have a good one...
Old 10-09-2005, 11:35 AM

Ron,

Thanks for your advise I appreciate it...time and time over. It really does help having guys like you to help us Newbies out!!!

DodamissC

I can appreciate your point of view but, some of us do not have the money to go and buy something brand new. So therefore we
look to ebay to continue in our adoring hobby. I will say this ...all I ask is to give me constructive criticism. Not knocks!!! So you
may see more post asking questions on boats. I turn to this fine website for assistance and will continue to do so until i find my nitro
boat and then it will probably not end. Hope this clears up any notions of what is perceived to be a nagging Threads.

Regards to all and I will continue to tap your knowledge.

Winged Avenger

Old 10-09-2005, 12:44 PM

Hey man, sorry if you got the wrong idea. I was never trying to imply that you post nagging threads, and yes, you should post all kinds of threads about what you are looking at and what you want, or think you may want as far as RC boats go. Thats what this place is for!!! It is obvious from your questions that you are really new, and that is fine. It's just every post you start is about the absolute cheapest RC out there. AND THATS FINE TOO!!! But it's obvious that you are looking for a nitro RC boat for the absolute least amount of money possible, and thats fine too. But you have to remember, like most anything...you get what you pay for. And if you try to piece together some used ebay hull with a used ebay engine and some used ebay radio gear, i think you are setting yourself up for disaster. like i said before, i am still pretty new, and even for me yet, buying used is just to risky. When you buy something new, you get all the documentation and books, a brand new hull and engine to use, and everything else new of course too! You have no idea about some used hull or engine from ebay, who knows, maybe the engine is about ready to blow and the seller wanted to off it before something happened. What about the hull, maybe it's cracked some and the seller either did'nt say or did not see it.

Please do not take this the wrong way, and please do what you want and what you think is going to work best for you...I'm just trying to help avoid seeing a post from you 2 weeks from now about how your engine blew and your hull has stress cracks. I would much rather see a winged avenger post about how much fun your new boat is!

Here, check this out I think you may like it. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LZ0275** Let me know, i'm trying to learn and help at the same time like everyone else around here. I did not mean to sound condesending and yes i know how money can get tight at times. We all have been there.

Thats 240 bucks. You take 20 off for the coupon on the homepage, add 20 for fuel and 10 bucks shipping. Thats everything you need to get out on the water for 250 bucks sitting at your front door, and with enough fuel for breakin and plenty of fun before you have to take a trip to the hobby shop. If i was you, or i could do it all over again. This is EXACTLY what i would buy! Again, just trying to help, Good-Luck.

Chris

PS And if comes with a $15 gift cert from tower.

ORIGINAL: Winged Avenger

Ron,

Thanks for your advise I appreciate it...time and time over. It really does help having guys like you to help us Newbies out!!!

DodamissC

I can appreciate your point of view but, some of us do not have the money to go and buy something brand new. So therefore we
look to ebay to continue in our adoring hobby. I will say this ...all I ask is to give me constructive criticism. Not knocks!!! So you
may see more post asking questions on boats. I turn to this fine website for assistance and will continue to do so until i find my nitro
boat and then it will probably not end. Hope this clears up any notions of what is perceived to be a nagging Threads.

Regards to all and I will continue to tap your knowledge.

Winged Avenger

Old 10-09-2005, 12:50 PM

is it this boat? http://cgi.ebay.com/FREEDOM-36-RADIO...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-09-2005, 02:32 PM

There are a few items any newbie should think about. What other boats are being run in my area? What are the water conditions like where I plan on run? What type of boat do I perfer? These should be answered before laying hard earned cash down. First question is easy to answer.. Second and third make the real difference. If the water is choppy (slight white caps), then a deep-v would be best suited as they handle waves much better than any other boat style. Little chop to none allows more choices: tunnels, hydros (sport 40 and scale), cats and riggers (wait for experince before trying riggers). Lastly, what style of boats do you like? Myself, hope my user names points this out, I'm into tunnels.. There are some good buys on fleebay, just need to weed out the bad ones. Love those sales of "new motor", but they don't mention that the motor was built in the 70's..
Old 10-09-2005, 03:18 PM

If that is the boat, I want you to look at one thing, actually 2, the belts on the outboard motor. The setup is one belt coming off the front of the engine that runs to a jackshaft. Another that goes from the jackshaft to the propshaft. The second one is what would scare me. It's not securely attached. Any twig on the water could easliy toss it off. It would also toss a lot of water up towards the engine and then into the carb. The added turbulence that it would create can't be good for water trying to get to the prop.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:26 PM

DodamissC,

Thats fine just a misunderstanding. Anyhow...I am bidding on a nitro hammer and will let you know how it goes.
I have seen several members that have and upgrade...also this is a fiberglass hull so this is a major plus. As for the other boat
(you had the right link)...Thanks to both of your advise I have decided to move away from ABC boats. I will let both of you if I am
successfull!!!

Regards,

Winged AVenger
Old 10-09-2005, 04:29 PM

Thats great man!!! Just trying to help out!! The hammer is not the best, but it's cool, AND like you said, it's fiberglass. Good luck bidding.

BTW you ever see any of the soprano's hangin out round jersey? [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 10-09-2005, 06:39 PM

I was thinking about something else. I should not put the guys on here on the spot like i said. I am sure ron and OB nute have many excellent recomendations, but they should not be looked at as the be all and end all of RC boating. I feel real bad about you getting the wrong idea up there in the post, I was just trying to voice my opinion, and thanks for your understanding. It's just i have been so disapointed with my RC experiance in a whole (as far as nitro goes), that i hate to see people make the same mistakes that i did, the main one buying used. I hope we have helped you in your search for an RC boat, and i hope we all can help you more. Make sure you let us know what else your looking at, ust post it here. if enough people see this popping up in there e-mail box (subscription required :-) then they will look to i am sure, good day sir.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:02 PM

There are some things that I would buy used and others that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Used batteries I wouldn't go near. If I knew the seller it would be a different story. I avoid vague auctions. If the person knows their equipment, it will show up in the ads. The ones that I do watch for to stay away from are the "I'm selling this for a friend, I don't know anything about these but.........," or the "I bought this at an estate sale" type of ads. To me, that is an escape clause to let them off the hook because they "don't know anything about this".

If you do get the NH, look at the Unofficial Nitro Hammer thread to learn a lot more about that boat.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:01 PM

well i won the bid on the nitro hammer...wife was not too happy..but ,she will get over it. the only thing wrong is the prop has a crack in it . i want to change the prop anyhow...anyone have a suggestion..or should I start a new thread ???

I have started reading the hammer thread but, I have to wait to get the boat and do some of these tips.

Hey I will say this ...I too am dissapointed with my SW26 electric and I am still trying to get it moving...This weekend was a wash
rained all week end. This is the main reason why I decided to go Nitro. Okay I want to thank everyone for their support and
no harm done....actually i rathered be informed then waste my money. The hammer sold for $96.00 so I figure its a steal for a fiberglass. Bring on the tips. Now I can't wait to get it...although it is late in the year. I will try to get it running...

Okay thanks a bunch,

Regards,

Winged Avenger
PS: The Sopranos have been spotted all over NJ
Old 10-10-2005, 08:47 PM

Winged Avenger
PS: The Sopranos have been spotted all over NJ

HAHA, that is such a great show, keeps me entertained all year long. Now if they could only start the next season i would be all set!!!

That sounds like a good deal. Is it RTR??? Radio and all? How about a link to the boat so we can check it out.

I do not have a suggestion about a prop for that boat, but i can tell you that i am sure if you keep reading and using that search button, you will find your answer, that is a very popular boat, and many people make changes, and i am sure the prop is one of the first.

Thats to bad about the SW26. But don;t give up on electric alltogether....they are technicaly faster than our nitro boats. But i know what you mean, i had a Kyosho Viper R (EP) and i hated it. I always liked the look of the SW boats, but they suck.....Like i said, i have learned most of my RC lessons the expensive and hard way, so maybe it's just me, but from reading all the other SW problems, it just might be the boat after all!!!!

Let us know Dude. Glad we worked things out in this post. Hope you have fun. Chris
Old 10-11-2005, 09:45 PM

DodamissC,

Yes I agree glad we cleared the air. Anyway I am not giving on The SW26 because I want to have as a retreave boat.
Anyway we shall if anyone wants to lend their tips on getting a prop for my hammer. Okay its Tuesday her about quarter to ten
and its raining again..ARRGGHH. Hows the weather by you ??? I live in NJ...what state are you from ?

Okay got to run...

Regards,

Winged Avenger

PS: I saw Tony and his Crew two weeks ago filming at Badabing..I asked my wife if we could stop by ...she just shot me a look.
I told her I was kidding ...Yeah Right!!!!
Old 10-11-2005, 11:39 PM

Two currently in Michigan and one formerly that still gets up here at least once a year. Uh------cold. Last week we needed the AC, Sunday they got put away for the winter.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson
Michigan and one formerly that still gets up here at least once a year.
That be me. Stuck in KY [] but having a go at it.. Haven't had a chance to run for a couple of weeks. Been trying to fix / paint a boat and the paint is giving me fits [:@] Primer and first coat go on nice. Try to put another color on and it spider webs [>:] Hate it when that happens.