Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

outboard mounting height

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

outboard mounting height

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 10:27 PM
skymortar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outboard mounting height

ron said my outboard was too low.opinions on where it should be?pix in my gallery
Old 10-10-2005, 05:00 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: outboard mounting height

Place your boat on a flat surface. Get a straight edge (yard stick will do). Now put this straight edge in the tunnel next to the lower unit. The prop shaft should be level with this straight edge. Depending on what prop you have, the prop shaft could be anywhere from being equal to or 1/4" above this edge. No two setups are the same. I found a sweet spot running a certain prop. Switch props and had to lower the motor over 1/4" to make this other prop work.

Easy way to figure this out. When running, how does the boat handle? If the front bounces, lower the motor. If it appears to be plowing thru the water, raise it up. Most boats will run with a 0 degree angle. Some like a positive angle while others like negative angles.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:57 PM
qweedqwag
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you look in his gallery, you'll see that he has it hung on a mono. I felt that the engine was sitting way too low on it. I would think that having the centerline of the propshaft should be near the bottom of the Vee if not slightly below. Leave some room on the mount for adjustability up and down.