Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 Im Back, and i have a few questions : NEW UPDATED PICS >

Im Back, and i have a few questions : NEW UPDATED PICS

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Im Back, and i have a few questions : NEW UPDATED PICS

Old 10-21-2005, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im Back, and i have a few questions : NEW UPDATED PICS

Hi all, im back again. Hoping to get my boat done fo next summer BUT i wish to know if, instead of making it nitro, i could have 2 12v electric dumas motors running it instead because i simply cannot afford the engin for the nitro setup., would running a double outdrive- twin rudder setup with 2 dumas motors and a fair few batteries work? the hull i have made is a red fiberglass hull 36" long that i made nearly a year ago... Would these two motors and suffiecient batts get it goin FAST? if so, i would use them two motors, two props( need props recomending aswell) and 2 ESP's (pref mechanical), if it wouldnt, does any one know wher ei can get a real cheap O.S. .46 or larger (marine, NOT UNDER .46)
thanks guys.

also, hows ross (macelod doing, haent been on for a while)
Yo to these ppl

Macelod
Terbo Bob
ejp
Ron olson
Mr chilly
eas_1990
and everyone else whom i cannot remember names because i havent been on for about 6 mnths or more)
Old 10-21-2005, 10:24 AM

Default RE: Im Back, and i have a few questions

Also if that setup will work

could you,
recomend a better motor if that one aint sufficient
speed controllers for the motor
outdrive and shaft assemblys
all the other stuff i would need that you can recomend
Old 10-21-2005, 10:28 AM
My Feedback: (12)

In general, to get fast speeds out of electrics you're going to need to spend as much, and most often more, than you would for an engine. Personally, I'd go nitro. What do you consider cheap?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:37 AM

to be honest i dnt know
but i cnt afford the tower hobbies price of $259 (£146) im 15
i wouldnt even mind a second hand one, please sum1 help me, lol,
Old 10-21-2005, 11:53 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The Dumas motors are really slow as they're made for scale ships and the like, even slower than a ROAR stock motor by about half.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:55 AM

its the only 12v motor i could find on tower, ne where else i can look?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:34 PM

go to www.offshoreelectrics.com get yourself a graupner speed 800 and some decent cells if you dont have them already and get yourself a esc thats the best way and best price
or save up and get a fiago brushless the 12 XL
thats the best setup
Old 10-21-2005, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the advise 69dart, i'll see what suits my budget when i get chance to look, im thinking about buying a [link=http://www.rossisales.com/boats4.html]speedmaster hull[/link] but im not sure, i have a hull, cba putting stringers in myself. Shipping is a bomb from us to england though , what you think, also, this emans i wont be able to use a .46 engine because the speedmaster hull is .21, what you think? should i goto that, or do you think i'll fit my favourite .46 in it? bear in mind i want it to be dangerously fast. or will it just be too fast and flip?

Would an O.S. . 21 buggy engine work as a water cooled option? or does a buggy engine lack in power for marine?, pleae name any others including water cooled, also, if anyone has a cheap engine of required size (.21 or .46 either considered)

Apparently that hull can also have an aircooled engine i have heard, if so, could you recomend an aircooled engine and a water cooled one for if i were to buy that
Old 10-21-2005, 03:44 PM

car engines are not made like boat engines boat engines make more rpm and have lots more torq i personally do not do nitro cause of the tuning and how finicy it is im a electric only guy ...
Old 10-21-2005, 04:58 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Speedmaster makes good hulls. So does Microburst, Twincraft, and others I can't think of right now. You could also get plans for the Wild Thing and build your own. Both .21 and .45 are good sizes. I like the .21s because they are so economical on fuel. OS and OPS both have good, reasonably priced, engines in this size. Of course I also like .45 engines. In a mono the .45s will be a little faster, but a well setup .21 is still a blast.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:10 PM

Hi, i have a friend that will do engine mounts for me , so i can use the hull i made, if not i might get a microburst .45, i'll have to see
Old 10-26-2005, 08:04 AM

i started making cardboard templates for my stringer/bulkhead assembly today, should be ready to put onto wood soon, my stringers are going to curve up towards frnt or boat rnt they, becasue of the shape of the bottom of my hull.

The notches are where i will bond the bulkhead i have made (3) to the stringers for strenght, the bulkheads will only be as high as the stringers., would this be of iof they didnt reach the freeboard or shall i have them so they just reach the freeboard?

Heres a diag to show what ive done (from side, with 2 stringer obv')

Ive also taken about 2 inshes off the front end of the stringers... less of a curve that way

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26936.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	344233  
Old 10-26-2005, 09:16 AM

here my hull with cardboard templates in place ( minus 1 stringer) what you think so far? does this look right? if not please say.

Also some good old english currency in there somewhere :P, my body spray. and a bulb. hehe
also, is the engine mount bit right? and the foremost bulkhead isnt supposed to meet the hull at the bottom in between the stringers..

Name:	Zx72337.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	344254   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45212.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	344255  
Old 10-26-2005, 09:54 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Move the one that is furthest to the front , MORE to the front ... ( couple of inches ) so that you have room for engine adjustment ( able to move engine forward in case your CG is not right where you have the area for engine mounting . and eliminate the second one from the transom .
And , if available , use marine ply for the stringers and supports .
Also , did you calculate the distance where you have the section higher for the engine to mount to , or , just guessed ? ( remember to roughly calculate .... and if you make it oversized - too long engine area - you can always trim her afterwards , BUT , if you make it TOO short , you can NOT add the needed area )
Old 10-26-2005, 09:59 AM

Actualy i did kinda guess, i dont have my engine or any of my hardware yet... , terbo, if you have the time, could you use paint and make me a diagram liek the one above to show me what you mean with the engine mount bit? and how big i should do it?, see this is why rcu is great , i can put stuff like that ion here and get great adive
Old 10-26-2005, 10:25 AM

Red move to where the blue is ... and black , totally remove .

Name:	Tq48862.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	344287  
Old 10-26-2005, 10:29 AM

thanks dude, your awesome, now i know exactly what to do NICE one TB

How this for a paint scheme?

Name:	Yv65955.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	344296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26451.jpg
ID:	344297  
Old 10-26-2005, 11:13 AM

LOVE it ... ( kinda reminds me of a old movie over here ... JAWS ... )[8D]
Old 10-26-2005, 11:15 AM

hehe, thanks dude, i seen that movie, i seen all three/four cant memba werther theres 3 or four..
Old 10-26-2005, 11:26 AM

minimental - Do you have a deck for that hull? All looks good so far. Keep the pics coming.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:30 AM

lol...hehe..., no i dont have a deck yet.. making one sometime this month hopefully. going to paint the shark on i think. What type of paint should i use?, will model paint work?

Wave Waker J, what type of boat have you got?
POst some pics if u want lol. Pics should keep coming, should have stringers in by end of this month at least..

Should i paint the hull like this for added OOO-AHHHH factor, exactly like this, ro does it look stupid

Also ,where cna i get an Octura X450/3, x455 x457 ?? ive looks on OffshoreElectrics btu they dont have any one that i could see. i would also need ot buy one of these props sharpened and balanced

Name:	Tr50154.jpg
ID:	344332  
Old 10-26-2005, 01:40 PM

Mental - I think it looks pretty sweet. What ever paint you use, just make sure it's nitro proof. I used automotive paint on mine because it runs on gasoline. I'm not sure it would stand up to nitro fuels.

My boat is a scratch built shallow Vee hull. 42.5in long x 11.5in wide. powered by H2O cooled 25cc Homelite w/big carb and tuned pipe. I will try to post pics this weekend.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:43 PM

Default RE: Im Back, and i have a few questions : NEW UPDATED PICS

cool, sounds nice dude :P, well, if i paint that sharks face on my hull, i dont think i'll be spilling nitro there, so i would use vehicle paint, however, i think i'll use a brush and pinstripe the edges of the teeth and stuff, then use a slightly thicker brush for the mainbits:P, should look champion when its done..
Old 10-26-2005, 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: MiniMental

Also ,where cna i get an Octura X450/3, x455 x457 ?? ive looks on OffshoreElectrics btu they dont have any one that i could see. i would also need ot buy one of these props sharpened and balanced
Dave Marles at Prestwich models can supply you with Octura props, he will sharpen and balance them for you if required, he is based in the UK so shipping charges will be quite cheap.
The link as follows
[link=http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/]Prestwich Models[/link]. Nice guy to deal with, and will probably be able to supply you all the parts you require.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:26 PM

Default RE: Im Back, and i have a few questions : NEW UPDATED PICS

Overseas ,,, sorry .. but if you want raw , did you try PRESWHICH ( or how ever thats spelled )
Otherwise , here , there are a few guys that DO , SB the props , BUT , they get a good dime for them .
DASBOATA ( Chris ) is a VERY reputable seller ( N.Y. - I think ) ... AND he sells SB'ed as well as raw .
Then if just RAW , try Brian at ROCKET CITY RACING dot COM
or JIM at ABC props ( also online --- AND he also does SB as well )
There are others , but none that I can think of , off the top of my head that I would recommend ... ( sorry if I left anybody particular out )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.