Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

More CMB 65 questions Help!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

More CMB 65 questions Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 09:13 PM
skoda450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More CMB 65 questions Help!

On an eariler thread I got some great advice as to the set up of a used CMB 65. Now I know why it was sold. The bearings need replacement and the threads on one water nipple were striped. A Helicoil fixed the nipple and I have new bearings to install but that leads me to my question. I have the engine completely disassembled except for the main bearing ( the larger of the two near the cylinder). I can't figure out how to get it out. I drove the front bearing out from the rear but there is no shoulder exposed on the main bearing to drive on to knock it out the rear from the front of the base casting. If I heat the base will it fall out or is there sone trick or special tool I am missing. HELP!!![:@]

Old 10-22-2005, 09:57 PM
DMACK
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: More CMB 65 questions Help!

Heat it in your oven at 300 degrees for about 5 minutes on a cookie sheet. Take it out with a cooking mit, the bearing should just fall out, possible a tap on the counter will be needed. Sometimes it takes a little longer but 5 minutes is a good start. I usually plop the new bearing right in while it is still pretty hot as well so you don't have to press it in. Make shure you put it in the same way as the one that came out.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:35 PM
skoda450

Great, I was thinking of just that but I had no idea it would work. I also needed the tempature. I will let you know how it worked out. THANKS!!!

BTW the new bearing is open on both sides. The old one is closed at least on the side I can see. Whats your thought on orientation of the new one or does it matter?

Old 10-23-2005, 10:26 PM
DMACK
My Feedback: (9)

One side of the retainer is typically more closed up. That side should go toward the outside of the engine. this keeps the oil in and the dirt out. Also you want the open side of the bearing toward the inside of the engine to get oil in there.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:38 AM
skoda450

OK, got it.
I went into the kitchen last night and started looking for a cookie sheet. When asked by my wife "What are you looking for?!" I replied "Well... I have this engine that I..."
"STOP! she interrupted. "... If it involves one of your stinky motors, your not using anything in there!" pointing to the cabinet, now in disarray from my digging. When I further explained that I was going to put it in her oven, things got even more tense.
She, being the help full little woman she is, accomodated me with an "old one" from the cabinet that I could "mess up". Greatfull for the "help", I covered it with aluminum foil and put it in the oven.
It was all worth it when I removed it 10 min later. Holding it with a mitt, as instructed and a gentle tap, the bearing fell out on the counter. Remembering the lesson of the cookie sheet, I had covered the counter with an old shop rag I could "mess up."
Thanks for the help. I have it going back together now with a lot more confidence.