Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Good Deal?????!!!!

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Good Deal?????!!!!

Old 10-28-2005, 05:14 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Deal?????!!!!

Looking for a new nitro boat to build on this winter. I want something fast, and cool of course. I found this auction listed below, although I do not know much about the reputation for thunder tiger outboards. I was wondering if you guys could key me in on wether or not this is a good deal. Looks like I would need a radio setup, and 2 servo's. I have never had a Outboard before...anything else I would need? (like ot start it!?) Thanks!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBBICO-TOP-SPEE...QQcmdZViewItem

EDIT: Found this one below too, i think I may like the sound of a K&B engine better. Thanks for any advice!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prather-Lap-Cat-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-28-2005, 05:27 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Good Deal?????!!!!

It's a good choice for a hull, but I don't know about the engine. The boat is designed for the OS outboard, but that's nearly $300 from most places. In addition to the boat you would need radio, including servos and batteries. You would also need support equipment such as tools, fuel pump, glow driver, starter and battery, etc.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:30 PM
FE_Chris

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you piper, where refering to the Top Speed 2. What about the Lapcat combo I Edited into the article. That looks like the best deal. Your opinion on that please. I have fuel, glow starter, all I think I would need is the starter system to turn the engine over with. Could somebody maybe key me in on how these OB's are started. Thanks Fellas.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:39 PM
piper_chuck

Certainly a better engine choice, I've always liked K&B ever since my first one in the early 80s. Starting couldn't be simpler, apply the starter to the cone at the top of the engine.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:30 PM
FE_Chris

Thanks for the reply. Well, I decided not to bid on the item. Someone won it for 290$ shipped. Still not a bad deal if ya ask me, or as far as I can tell. I think I am going to look for another top speed 2 combo, thanks for the help.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:45 PM
skymortar

the most fun is the build.no rtr here.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:35 AM
FE_Chris

YES!!!! I want to build a tunnel! But it does sound a bit complicated, not just building but figuring how much weight to add and where to add the weight, so on and so forth. so i don;t know about it. I have been cruising ebay looking for a gasser, or a tunnel. I am going to get one or the other, but I may lean twords gas because of the cheep fuel and ease of use. Guess i'll just have to wait and see what I come up with on the bay. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:47 AM
piper_chuck

Part of the chellenge of running tunnels is figuring out what to do to get it running well. Lots of experimentation. If you're lucky, you live near someone who can teach you. If not, you need to experiment. That's going to happen whether you get a kit, or something that's almost RTR. Right now, the TS 2 is very popular. Assuming Hobbico can get enough stock in soon, there will probably be lots of them hitting the water this winter and spring. It's really hard to beat the price for such a complete package. The guy who designed it is a legend (I've got magazine articles written by him in the early 80s), and there are no other packages out there that can touch this one for someone wanting to start out with tunnels. There are faster hulls out there, but they cost significantly more.

The "economy" of gas is deceptive. Sure, the fuel is cheaper. However, when compared to buying a $99 hull, $99 radio and a $300 engine (which can be had for less if you are patient) that pretty much completes the package, the gasser will be more. The typical G261 is selling for $220-260 these days. Then you're going to spend $200 plus just for the hull. Add another $200+ for the hardware, and you've already broken $600. To add to this, you need a bigger steering servo, and AM radios should be avoided in gassers due to the potential interferance from the ignition. This setup will be great fun at the local lake, and will be ok for racing. However, after losing a few races what you'll discover is that just like nitro, the guys with the fastest setups are usually running much more expen$ive modified engines. However, just like nitro, many of them can't figure out how to keep the boat upright so if you stay out of trouble, the stock engine can usually do ok, and may even win some.

I'll close out this long winded (worded) post with an interesting story. When I got back into racing this year, the only boat I had was an old Dumas Hotshot IV. I started building it in 1987 but for a variety of reasons I took a long break from planes and boats. I also had a brand new K&B outboard that I bought at the same time. When I contacted the nearest club the president was not encouraging about tunnels. He told me there is very little interest in nitro. He said a couple people might have tunnels. Being a persistant SOB, I went ahead and finished the Hotshot, but I also picked up a used G23 and stuck it in a mono hull that I had. I brought the tunnel to the races and when someone else brought one I raced it. If not, it just stayed in the car.

It appears my persistance payed off. Over the course of the summer people commented on how much fun the tunnels seemed to be. This included people who never raced them as well as those who used to race them, but had moved on to other things. The president sent me an email about a month ago saying we will probably be having 6 boat tunnel heats next season. Not only this, but we've added 20 and 40 monos to the schedule.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:59 AM
wave waker

i go for tunnel...if only HYPERFORMANCE PRODUCT COMPANY didn't messed up my order for a 34" tunnel hull probably i got one already, i've waited one month and nothing happen, so just giving u a heads up bout this company reputation, but i'm still goin to get one,just for racing only,,,
Old 10-29-2005, 08:58 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Seeing how the bidding has ended on both of them, you were better off not winning them. The Thunder Tiger is a heavy engine and the carb can be difficult to set plus not much of a powerhouse in stock form. The Prather is a way outdated design. If you noticed in the ad or not, it mentioned that it included a turn fin. Nowadays, if an OB tunnel needs a turn fin or trim tabs the boat didn't have much thought done in the handling department and are a Band-aid.
If you put the Top Speed 2 and the K&B 3.5 SS together then you'd have a great boat.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:04 PM
FE_Chris

WOW! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT. Yeah, I decided not to bid on either boat. The top speed 2 looks fun. But man, 300 dollars for a engine, not even a gas engine, is expensive. But the more I look at the TS2, the more I get to like it. Not only that, I here great things about Jerry and his boat designs. I know everyone asks, and I hate to ask. But where do you guys go for the K&B engines to purchase them? I am talking online of course. I suppose while I have your attention, might one of you reccomend a prop for the TS2 K&B combo. Thanks.

Also, Why so smug on gasser's? I raced a gasser(Fun Cruiser) once in the SW36, I beat him.....but at the end of the day, he could drop his boat in and run it, I could'nt. I like the idea of actually having something RC that works lol (obviously I learn by myself and have to pay for my mistakes)

Thanks again for your replys fellas, you never seem to let us newer guys down.

EDIT: O and when I say I am looking for a gasser, I know they are around atleast 1K new for a decent one, I am looking on ebay for a used gasser, talking to the guy about this one, whatcha think about this? It's relisted, I cannot find the new auction at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAS-R-C-43-CHALL...QQcmdZViewItem

He says he will take 625 shipped, thats his lowest. He says the engine has low hours and runs great. Hull is excellent shape and so is paint. I don't think it's quite worth 625, but thats why I am asking.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:21 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: DodamissC

WOW! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT. Yeah, I decided not to bid on either boat. The top speed 2 looks fun. But man, 300 dollars for a engine, not even a gas engine, is expensive.
Run the numbers and you'll find that $300 is not bad. Remember, it's not just an engine. It's your engine, mount, rudder, strut, stuffing tube, and shaft all in one. Compare that to the price of all these components for a gas boat. Also think about how much easier it is to attach the outboard than all that other stuff.

But the more I look at the TS2, the more I get to like it. Not only that, I here great things about Jerry and his boat designs. I know everyone asks, and I hate to ask. But where do you guys go for the K&B engines to purchase them? I am talking online of course. I suppose while I have your attention, might one of you reccomend a prop for the TS2 K&B combo. Thanks.
One place you can look for K&B engines is the source: http://www.mecoa.com/kb/marine/marine_outboard.htm
Also, Why so smug on gasser's? I raced a gasser(Fun Cruiser) once in the SW36, I beat him.....but at the end of the day, he could drop his boat in and run it, I could'nt. I like the idea of actually having something RC that works lol (obviously I learn by myself and have to pay for my mistakes)
I've NEVER had trouble getting my K&B outboards to start. In fact, one time it actually started itself when we attached the glow connector. Yes, that's right, all we did is attached the glow connector. Hadn't even begun reaching for the starter and it was running.
Thanks again for your replys fellas, you never seem to let us newer guys down.

EDIT: O and when I say I am looking for a gasser, I know they are around atleast 1K new for a decent one, I am looking on ebay for a used gasser, talking to the guy about this one, whatcha think about this? It's relisted, I cannot find the new auction at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAS-R-C-43-CHALL...QQcmdZViewItem

He says he will take 625 shipped, thats his lowest. He says the engine has low hours and runs great. Hull is excellent shape and so is paint. I don't think it's quite worth 625, but thats why I am asking.
I refuse to buy any more second hand equipment from people I don't know, or at least know of through racing circles. The first and last boat I bought on ebay required a significant amount of repairs to get running. It was so bad that I actually could have built it quicker if I had started with a bare hull. It was described as barely used and ready to run. That was enough to convince me, never again.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:51 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

This place sells K&B outboards, http://www.precision-boats.com/ or this place closer to you, www.philshobbyshop.com in Fort Wayne, IN.
I don't know of too many Hobby Shops in your area but there must be some around Detroit that might be able to help you out. The only one that I've been to over that way was in Saginaw and they carried a lot of boat stuff.