Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 Winter Project boat help >

Winter Project boat help

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Winter Project boat help

Old 11-01-2005, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Project boat help

I think I am going to build a boat over the winter from scratch. I have seen a lot of boats in
stores and on the internet but I just don't see one I really like/trust. So I have some questions:

1) I have a old goped type scooter I bought on ebay. It gears have worn out(cheap china stuff!)but the engine is still good. I guess if the engine can move my 200 pounds it will move a rc boat
really well. The engine is air cooled like a lawn mower and it is a 2 cycle 22.5cc engine. Will this be good for a Vee hull prop engine or do I need a special engine?

2) I think I'm giong to make a vee hull and I want it to be about 4 to 5 ft long. What is the best wood or materials for this?

3) Is there anything someone can think of I (a noob) might need to know before I start this monster project?

Thanks!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 12:53 AM

Default RE: Winter Project boat help

fiberglass over foam
get a big block of foam and start carving then twhen your done hollow out where the engine and radio gear is gonna be and start layin fiberglass
Old 11-02-2005, 01:25 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

This might be better in the Gas boat forum, I can move it there if you'd like me to.
If you have the right engine, it should be easy to toss it into a boat with a little work.
You can use lite ply for the hull as long as it's well sealed.
There aren't a lot of plans available for building one but some of the Gas guys can point you towards some.
Good luck in your project and when you get it done you ought to bring it over to our annual Fun Run here in Kalamazoo if you live anywhere near here.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:26 AM

I am about 4 hours away but hey, if the boat comes out good I might make the drive. Thanks!