Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Wild Thing

Old 11-02-2005, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wild Thing

hi all,
im looking to get a set of wild thing plans for a nice project. I want to create a nice boat but not rip a hole in the wallet either. I'd like to start with a smaller engine .12-.18. I was wondering, for an engine that size will I need to downsize the plans and if so how much. Also what would be a good affordable engine for the wildthing .I have seen Ron's wild thing. How much would I have to downsize it and what engine ti have something similar to the wildthing .12
thanks a bunch
Old 11-02-2005, 01:21 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Wild Thing

The original is 32" long, mine is 26" but it could be made at 24 or 25 inches also. I've been out of school too long to figure the percentage that it plans would have to be reduced.
As for a powerplant, all you need is a good middle-of-the-road motor. I've had 4 different ones in mine and so far the OS .12 has been the best one by a long shot.
If you want to keep the WT the original size and use a smaller engine for now, there are some good .18's made but the price difference won't be much if not less for a good "Sport" .21 .

This engine for instance, http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXALL8&P=RF isn't a bad price. figuring that I spent just under $120.00 for my .12 and it didn't come with a flywheel (another $15.00) and a header (around $20.00) it isn't a bad deal.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:34 PM
My Feedback: (12)

I agree with Ron about the OS, gets lots of good comments and is a good price.

However, if $140 is stretching the budget, another choice would be a K&B .18. http://www.mecoa.com/kb/marine/marine_inboard.htm
For $90 it's a pretty good deal. Even though it doesn't show it, the engine is supposed to come with a flywheel. It's also got a pull starter. While I'm not fond of them, if you are just beginning, this will save the additional expense of a starter and battery. This engine would be great on a scaled down Wild Thing, or you could even build the full size and then upgrade the engine later. The biggest "issue" I see with the K&B .18 is it doesn't fit well within the "established" classes. It's too big for IMPBA's A class, and too small to compete against the larger .21 engines allowed in IMPBA B or NAMBA A class. However, if you're not going to use it for organized racing, the size doesn't matter.

PS. 32" reduced by 25% would be 24". Ron's 26" boat appears to be an 18.75% reduction.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:35 PM

thanks a bunch, im pretty new to the boating scene , for the engine ron posted, it says i need a fuel bulb and fuel can filter, can someone tell me what those are or are they nessecary , sorry im pretty new to the nitro scene. Also what will I need to get the boat running? prop, rudder, what else? like I said im new to boats so sorry for all the questions
Old 11-02-2005, 11:46 PM

Bring the questions on! That's what we're here for, well that and to ask them too.
The Wild Thing is a great choice whether you build it "as-is", smaller or larger. It's been upscaled to Gas power also. The instructions are fairly clear with only one vague area.
Hardware is pretty simple with it as it doesn't use a strut like we normally use but the usually stuff like a rudder, flex cable, props, drive dog, flex cable collet and the normal 2-channel surface radio system. Trim tabs seem to be an option on this hull as I've seen them handle well with and without them. John does show in the instructions how to make a set of them, it's one of the easy parts.
I'll see if I can dig up some shots of my friends Wild Things that might help you along.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:42 AM

cool thanks a bunch, any other sites for v hull boat plans besides rcstore, I was also looking at the 1/8 crackerbox plans. Can the V go in rougher water than the crackerbox?
thanks again
Old 11-03-2005, 01:40 AM

C-boxes are a drivers boat, one that you have to drive according to water conditions, more so that a deep-vee boat which can handle rougher water easier. A properly set up WT will handle the chop.
Here's 2 pix of my friends boats. Thanks to OB nut (Mark Scott) for the shots. I couldn't find mine.
I don't know of any other sites that have boat plans of what you're looking for, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22145.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	347988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68316.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	347989  
Old 11-03-2005, 02:03 AM

ok thanks, just wondering because the cracker only needs a .12 Do you reccomend a electric starter over a recoil? Im trying to kinda get a price figure here. Im loving the white and blue one what motor is in that one and is that the stock WT size or reduced.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:47 AM

Hi Cadillac_kid28 ,

I have recently built a WT and used the OS 21 RG-M which Ron suggested.

The motor runs well and is very reliable. I run with 3 shockwaves at my local pond
and I can tell you that the WT with OS 21 has the edge on the shockwaves

I am only running 15% nitro fuel and that OS screams with a prather 220 prop.
I did try a prather 215, but this prop is too small and the boat hardly moves on the water.

I have enjoyed the WT so much that I have started construction on the 2nd one.
I have a new Dynamite .32 marine motor which I will use along with a Prather 230 prop (same combo as in the Shockwave)

Im quite sure that this combination will work well as the WT is a lot lighter than the Shockwave.

There is plenty of info on the WT in this forum with numerous construction pictures (thanks to Macleod

You wont be sorry you built one

Ron, I tried lifting the trim tabs but the WT becomes quite unstable at high speed and rocks side to side.
I re-adjusted them level with the bottom of the hull and she runs rock steady again

chat soon !

Rob

Old 11-03-2005, 06:07 AM

ORIGINAL: cadillac_kid28

thanks a bunch, im pretty new to the boating scene , for the engine ron posted, it says i need a fuel bulb and fuel can filter, can someone tell me what those are or are they nessecary , sorry im pretty new to the nitro scene. Also what will I need to get the boat running? prop, rudder, what else? like I said im new to boats so sorry for all the questions
No prob with the questions. You will need 2 sets of stuff, the things that are part of the boat, and the support equipment to get the boat running. Something that you will discover about this hobby is that no matter how complete you think your list is, there will always be another part or gadget that you discover you "need". Here's my stab at the stuff you need (but I know I will miss something, and others may have different ideas):
Boat stuff:
Hull
Engine
Engine mount
Radio (2 or 3 channel) with battery, switch, and 2 servos (3 if using remote needle)
Tuned pipe, mount to hold the end, and a coupler to connect it to the header
Stuffing tube, shaft, and strut (included for completeness, strut not neede on wildthing)
Shaft collet
Prop and prop nut
Rudder assembly
Pushrods and connectors for rudder, throttle and optional remote needle
Fuel tank, filter, and lines
Antenna holder
Waterproof switch mount
Waterproof pushrod seals
Third channel needle (can adjust the fuel mixture with the radio)

Support equipment (this list can get long)
Starter (if engine does not have pull starter) and 12v battery
Glow plug ignitor, or if using starter, power panel and glow connector
Spare glow plugs
Fuel and fuel pump (manual is fine for smaller engnes)
Glow plug wrench
Misc tools such as screw drivers, allen wrenches, wrenches, etc
Loctite (some screws like to loosen without this)
Waterproof grease for shaft (use this at the end of the day so the shaft doesn't rust)
WD-40 for flushing the engine at the end of the day (prevents internal rust)

** End of reqiured list, the rest is stuff that is optional, but desirable **

Spare shaft, prop nut, and prop (in case you lose or break them)
Electric fuel pump (handy for larger boats)
Misc nuts and bolts
I know there's more, but I'm out of ideas...
Old 11-03-2005, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prop drive dog; Starter Belt; Extra fuel line for the cooling system plumbing; Floatation foam so when you try to be a hot dog and jump wakes and the boat flips over, it won't sink; Trim tabs; Tie wraps to secure the tuned pipe to the engine exhaust header; Radio box cover tape; a means to retrieve the boat after you flipped it over trying to jump wakes; Starting stand with a shield to prevent you from sticking you hand into the prop; a table is always nice to work on the boat; Boots with hard toes so when you carry the boat into the water and fall over a log you didn't see or launch your boat over your foot the prop doesn't cut your toes off; Paper towels to wipe the grime out of the boat after you run it, not to mention the blood from sticking your finger into the prop because you didn't make a starting stand with prop protection; Fully charged transmitter, receiver, starter and glow plug igniter batteries; NAMBA or IMPBA membership so you have some insurance for the hospital bills and the fishing boat you sunk because you didn't have fully charged batteries in the transmitter and receiver and the boat went out of control. Other than that "Enjoy the Hobby/Sport of model boating".
Old 11-03-2005, 09:13 AM

I knew I left a thing or two out.
Oh, for those who fly, AMA insurance also works, and it doesn't have all the disclaimers that makes IMPBA insurance useless for anything other than running at registered ponds
Old 11-03-2005, 10:00 AM

Thanks everyone very much, now its time to order up a set of plans and get to work. Anybody have a basic idea of how much this project is gonna cost. Or how much did you guys spend on it. Also I noticed dual rudders would those work for this or would they just be unneccesary.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:10 AM

The one on the left belongs to Dave Homer and is powered by a CMB Green head. On the right is Wade Swatzell's boat that he built for his wife and has a Nova Rossi in it.
The way that you want to start it is up to you. I prefer electric starters myself because I'm.............uh..........lazy, and always worry about the starter rope breaking. Any low-dollar electric starter will crank a .21 with no problem.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:14 AM

Thanks, I noticed the belt starters, are those used in conjuction with electric starters or is the belt a whole other starting method
Old 11-03-2005, 10:25 AM

If you go whole hog on this, you might be looking at close to $500.00 . Going more economically, you can get away with a little less. It's the little stuff that adds up.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:32 AM

BY whole hog do you mean the top of the line setup/equipment, i guess there isnt much you can cut back on, on a boat. How fast is this boat with the OS.21 you posted.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:36 AM

man that CMB Green head sure looks like a nice motor. If I ever get into racing I might have to look into one. How are the hardware kits on rocketcityracing.com
Old 11-03-2005, 11:07 AM

man that CMB Green head sure looks like a nice motor. If I ever get into racing I might have to look into one.
The CMB LS (Greenhead) was discontinued at the factory earlier on this year, It was replaced by the 21RS which has gone back to a red head. Nice motors, carbs not so good, especially when they get some wear on.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:15 AM

o, it has a nice price tag too lol. Im starting to wonder If maybe I should get a hull pre-made and install all components and once I get some experience go on and build the wild thing. I like the WaveChopper 30 mono deep v. What do you guys think
Old 11-03-2005, 11:18 AM

man that CMB Green head sure looks like a nice motor. If I ever get into racing I might have to look into one. How are the hardware kits on rocketcityracing.com
Rocket city is a good place. When I buy speedmaster, I go to the source, Bill at www.rossisales.com. Give him a call, tell him what you are building and he can set you up with most, if not all the stuff you need.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:36 AM

You can save some $$$$ if you are the least bit handy with your hands. I made the skid fins and trim tabs for my Wild Thing. That will save you some $. I used aluminum sheet stock for both systems. The mount brackets for the skid fins is 1" aluminum angle from Home Depot. There are sources on the web for small quantity aluminum sheet. I suggest 6061 T6 for the skid fins. Something softer for the trim tabs since you will want to be able to bend them to adjust the boat ride. I typically go to Speedmaster for mounts and rudder assembly. The parts are very nicely machined and very durable.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:41 AM

The CMB's had carb issues, mostly with the O-ring breaking around the high-speed needle. Most people cured that by going to a remote needle setup.
For a top end engine, you'd have to look at the MAC, Nova Rossi or Rossi as my choices. Expect to pay more for those.
The Wave Chopper. Is that the Chinese made boat or the one made by CEN?
Old 11-03-2005, 12:25 PM

o, it has a nice price tag too lol. Im starting to wonder If maybe I should get a hull pre-made and install all components and once I get some experience go on and build the wild thing. I like the WaveChopper 30 mono deep v. What do you guys think
Buying a good hull will probably add $70-100 or more to your project. I've seen estimates that the Wildthing hull costs $30-40 for materials. The .20 size fiberglass hulls I've seen usually start at around $100 (IIRC), and several are $150 or more. If you've got the extra cash and don't want to build, go fiberglass. If you've got a limited budget, or are looking for a fun winter project, get thee over to the RCBM site and order the plans.

The only thing that will give you experience at building wooden hulls is to build wooden hulls. What's the winter like where you are? Got lots of warm days where you can go boating, or are you pretty much housebound for the winter? If you can cut out the parts reasonably well, follow directions, and have the sense to stop and ask for help when you get stuck, you CAN build a wooden boat. Heck, if I can do it, anyone can!
Old 11-03-2005, 03:02 PM

PC, speaking of building, my Whiplash is in progress.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.